Menu

Son's friend accused of cheating in college class

I think people's biases are very telling here. One isn't allowed to be upset at a teacher being wrong and humiliating students?

They entire class could go over her head with the way she has treated her students.

I think if you are going to say the boys themselves, the object of this humiliation, need to move on and forgive the professor, it is only fair for you yourself who were not directly wronged in any way to do so as well.

Particularly as the students who were wronged are 1 -- not your own son but only friends of his and 2 -- the only source of information you've listed through all of this, and certainly not an unbiased source at that.

Guest submarines
You should absolutely report it. She may also have singled about the boys because they were homeschooled.

:iagree::iagree::iagree: This has to be reported.

I think if you are going to say the boys themselves, the object of this humiliation, need to move on and forgive the professor, it is only fair for you yourself who were not directly wronged in any way to do so as well.

Particularly as the students who were wronged are 1 -- not your own son but only friends of his and 2 -- the only source of information you've listed through all of this, and certainly not an unbiased source at that.

Oh, so we are to be quiet and not speak up at all. Not even on a message board? Sorry, your sympathies don't ring correct with me at all.

I have more than you know. Much, much more.

Do tell...

Based on what you posted, all you have is reports from students in her class (your son's friends and others who posted on review sites). Have you actually taken a class from this woman and had a bad experience? That would explain the vitriol, but you didn't mention it. And that still wouldn't give you firsthand knowledge of the particulars of this case.

Exactly. IF the teacher did indeed make the accusation in front of the whole class, that was wrong. She should also publicly apologize and explain that she was wrong. If she doesn't/didn't, the students could file a complaint IF THEY FEEL IT IS WORTH THE HASSLE.

And I hate to break it to you, but as well as you think you may know these kids, only God can see their hearts. Even good kids make mistakes. No one, and I mean no one, would have ever suspected that I would ever cheat on a test. I was smart, had high standards and good values. I was one of the "good kids." But the pressure got to me and I cheated on a psychology test in college. My conscience got the better of me and I confessed to the professor, who kindly gave me a zero on the test and didn't escalate it any further than that. When I told a friend what I had done, she didn't believe me. That's how out of character it was. But it just goes to show that you really never know.

I'm glad the boys were cleared and hope the professor does the honorable thing and clears them publicly. But unless there is more to the story than you are sharing, it really isn't any of your business and you really don't know the whole story with 100% certainty.

Oh, so we are to be quiet and not speak up at all. Not even on a message board? Sorry, your sympathies don't ring correct with me at all.

I didn't say that, at all, but you yourself stated that the boys in question, rather than escalate the matter, should forgive and show the class and character they're made of.

And yet you continue to rage and spew venom about this professor, with zero first hand knowledge of the situation.

All I'm saying is it seems odd to me for you to call on these 16 and 17 year old boys to be the bigger person, forgive, let it go, show the character they are made of, etc. when you yourself are unable to do so and are so completely unwilling to even entertain the idea that there might be a 2nd side to this story.

My sympathies might not ring true to you; your character is coming through loud and clear to me.

I will bow out of this conversation now before I get myself into trouble.

Do tell...

Based on what you posted, all you have is reports from students in her class (your son's friends and others who posted on review sites). Have you actually taken a class from this woman and had a bad experience? That would explain the vitriol, but you didn't mention it. And that still wouldn't give you firsthand knowledge of the particulars of this case.

Exactly. IF the teacher did indeed make the accusation in front of the whole class, that was wrong. She should also publicly apologize and explain that she was wrong. If she doesn't/didn't, the students could file a complaint IF THEY FEEL IT IS WORTH THE HASSLE.

And I hate to break it to you, but as well as you think you may know these kids, only God can see their hearts. Even good kids make mistakes. No one, and I mean no one, would have ever suspected that I would ever cheat on a test. I was smart, had high standards and good values. I was one of the "good kids." But the pressure got to me and I cheated on a psychology test in college. My conscience got the better of me and I confessed to the professor, who kindly gave me a zero on the test and didn't escalate it any further than that. When I told a friend what I had done, she didn't believe me. That's how out of character it was. But it just goes to show that you really never know.

I'm glad the boys were cleared and hope the professor does the honorable thing and clears them publicly. But unless there is more to the story than you are sharing, it really isn't any of your business and you really don't know the whole story with 100% certainty.

deleted

Edited by True Blue

I didn't say that, at all, but you yourself stated that the boys in question, rather than escalate the matter, should forgive and show the class and character they're made of.

And yet you continue to rage and spew venom about this professor, with zero first hand knowledge of the situation.

All I'm saying is it seems odd to me for you to call on these 16 and 17 year old boys to be the bigger person, forgive, let it go, show the character they are made of, etc. when you yourself are unable to do so and are so completely unwilling to even entertain the idea that there might be a 2nd side to this story.

My sympathies might not ring true to you; your character is coming through loud and clear to me.

I will bow out of this conversation now before I get myself into trouble.

nevermind. truly not worth it

Edited by True Blue

I read your last update and am not quoting you at your request. If the young gentlemen in question are truly bothered by the whole incident they should speak to someone in their college's Ombudsman's office. For most colleges and universities this is the office which deals with these types of conflicts.

I read your last update and am not quoting you at your request. If the young gentlemen in question are truly bothered by the whole incident they should speak to someone in their college's Ombudsman's office. For most colleges and universities this is the office which deals with these types of conflicts.

Thank you. Right now we are all trying to get over it. Yes, I am particularly ticked. Not sure where this will go.

It will get better and after the class is over there shouldn't be any effect. I was accused of theft on a job once. The lady didn't like me anyway and I didn't her to be honest and it wasn't even a large amount. But I think she wanted to fire me and I lost the job. I had a kid accuse me of sexual abuse at my job at a juvenile treatment facility. I didn't do that either and an investigation cleared it up. Even though I knew I was innocent in both cases it was horribly embarrassing. I understand that feeling. It stinks, it really does. However, there was no lasting harm to me and I don't think there will be for the kid in question either. I would think most kids wouldn't think much of it. As a student I think I would think the teacher was harsh and punitive for putting them in front of the class and I'd wonder if they did it. But I wouldn't put a lot of thought into it. I think if the kid wants to make a complaint about the way it was handled they should do it though and not the mom.

I just wanted to say that the teacher may have thought she was doing the boys a kindness by just having them retake a test and to try to sort it out herself rather than report her suspicions to the Academic Dean or Dean of Student Affairs. As it happens, her suspicions were unfounded and no other professors or administrators even know there was a suspicion, keeping the boys' reputations spotless. The less official paperwork concerning cheating in a student's file, the better!

Just thinking about it from another perspective (which could be totally wrong...)

This was my first thought as well. But the accusation in front of the class was completely unprofessional even if she had hard evidence, which she clearly didn't. If I were one of those students, I would be upset and considering letting the higher ups know what happened so that she can be trained on the proper procedures -- surely the college has an academic honesty policy.

I really don't understand what there is to report. The had the same answers so she made them redo the test. How is that unreasonable? As pp stated she let them off easy as she didn't report it.

The OP feels the kids were maligned and unfairly singled out-- the prof *should* have gone through proper channels instead of taking her vigilante approach. That alone deserves some kind of dialogue with her superiors. OP, you could have your son leave feedback on rate my professors.com.

deleted

Had to make lunch and missed it but would love a PM.

However, considering that others who felt as I did have changed their opinion based on your update, I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt.

But I would still say that based on your original posts and without further information, it was reasonable to give the prof the benefit of the doubt as well.

The OP feels the kids were maligned and unfairly singled out-- the prof *should* have gone through proper channels instead of taking her vigilante approach. That alone deserves some kind of dialogue with her superiors. OP, you could have your son leave feedback on rate my professors.com.

Leaving feedback there really won't do anything. If the kids are aggrieved (and I do agree that accusing them in front of the class was a bad idea -- she should have written them a note to see her) -- then they should proceed through the proper channels at their college.