Menu

Makeup update question

I need to update my makeup, specifically my base/foundation. During my last PG I developed mild rosacea, and I also have some sun/age spots. I'm in my early 40s and want to look good, but not fake. I know I need a good primer, concealer, and foundation, and I am willing to pay decent money for them vs. drugstore brands.

Question is where to go. I live about 30 minutes from a metro area. Stores include a Sephora and Ulta, as well as a good mall with department stores (Macys, Nordstrom, etc). There are also a few small business/boutique makeup places, though they tend to have their own brand loyalty (Jane Iredale, etc.).

Any suggestions on what would be the best place to go? I am hoping to drop the kids with the grandparents and have time to dedicate to trying brands, colors, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by dsmama
Grammar error

I'd go to Sephora. They also have a nice return policy. You may want to check your appearance afterward by heading outside into natural light, just to confirm you are pretty happy with the foundation match. I'm one of those people who is notoriously difficult to match and I have sometimes walked outside and been shocked at how obvious the foundation is or how poorly they matched me. With a good return policy you should be able to take it back if you leave the store and realize it isn't a good match. It would save a step though if you check before buying.

its pricey but the laura mercier tinted moisturizer is perfection!!

I was going to say the same thing. I need a heavy coverage so I add a Laura Mercier pressed powder using a kabuki brush to the top of my tinted moisterizer. Laura Mercier is the best! It has much better staying power than the MAC foundation I used formerly.

I cannot say enough good things about Bare Minerals. I've got some dark spots because of sun damage, large pores, and circles under my eyes always. It evens it all out without a fake look. I've been using different brands of mineral makeup for years now, but this is the first time I've tried this brand and I'm thrilled. Plus, it's easy to order online so if we go somewhere next that doesn't have a store, I can get it easily.

I love Aloette foundation - it doubles as a concealer. I have a lot of red in my skin, and this stuff covers it up. http://www.aloette.com/Makeup/Foundations/Ultra_Finish_SPF_15_Foundation

I loved their primer, too, until I discovered Monistat chafing cream for a fraction of the cost. http://www.aloette.com/Skin_Care/Age-Defying_Solutions/Flawless_HP_Rapid_Skin_Perfection Both products have dimethicone in them and they both feel soft and silky going on. I found out about the monistat chafing cream here on the boards. :-)

Edited by LizzyBee

My absolute favorite place to go when I start wanting to switch things up is Paula Begoun's website:

http://www.beautypedia.com/default.aspx

This is her reviews website. There are a lot of reviews! She does have her own line, which I've used some of and I like...but it's all online (which I don't like).

I read her reviews, but most of the time, I don't like the products she likes. I bought a powder foundation that is in her top 5; it gives poor coverage and rubs off onto anything that touches my face. So I saved a few bucks... but not really, because today I ordered my regular foundation and Paula's Pick will go in the trash when it arrives. :tongue_smilie:

Just an update --THANK YOU ALL!

I went to Sephora this morning and had a fabulous time. The woman who helped me was awesome -- my age or older, and so she understood my needs for coverage and long-lasting makeup. She tried many types of foundation and let me pick the one that worked best for me.

I bought foundation, a brush, mascara, and lip stain. (I already use the Primer mentioned above by Monistat, which I also learned about here :lol:).

She gave me samples of many things, too. Awesome!!