Menu

If we love The Music Man and Singin' in the Rain..

White Christmas

Court Jester (Danny Kaye... wonderful!)

Merry Andrew (Danny Kaye stars)

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

High Society (Grace Kelly's last movie.. Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, Louis Armstrong)

not a musical, but in same style... The Great Race (Blake Edwards movie - great fun)

Dr. Doolittle and the Great Pink Sea Snail..... the original :001_smile:

roger's and hammerstein's cinderella (the Brandy version is our favourite, but we love the Julie Andrew's version, too)

Brigadoon....

oh, i feel a movie night coming on......

ann

An American in Paris

Gigi (note: though this went right over my head until I was an adult, Gigi's aunts are training her to be a courtesan -- so this might not be a movie for everyone)

In a similar vein -- though I love Thoroughly Modern Millie the bad guys are kidnapping girls and selling them into prostitution. Again, what they were doing with the girls went right over my head when I was a kid and went right past my kids without them picking up on it, because I forgot that part and showed them the movie).

An American in Paris

In a similar vein -- though I love Thoroughly Modern Millie the bad guys are kidnapping girls and selling them into prostitution. Again, what they were doing with the girls went right over my head when I was a kid and went right past my kids without them picking up on it, because I forgot that part and showed them the movie).

Oh that's true - sorry, I should have mentioned that when I posted. It went over my kids' heads also.

Most musicals from the golden age have some element of romance to them but my family has always loved:

First Tier Favorites:

Fiddler on the Roof-my father's favorite

Flower Drum Song-not on any official list but a very sweet movie about arranged marriages/tradition in Chinatown during the '50s. One of my family's favorites

The King and I-Yul Brynner never made a better movie and Debora Kerr is excellent

My Fair Lady-hilarious take on the English classes

Yankee Doodle Dandy-great biopic about the famous showman

Meet Me in St. Louis-Judy Garland at her best, great family movie

Holiday Inn-holiday favorite with Bing Crosby

White Christmas-ditto

Oklahoma!-great all around musical

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers-my mother's favorite

Mary Poppins

The Sound of Music

Second Tier Favorites:

On the Town-Gene Kelly/Frank Sinatra

Blue Skies-Irving Berlin songs

Easter Parade-Judy Garland

Funny Face-more dance Fred Astaire with the lovely Audrey Hepburn, plus glorious clothes

Shall We Dance-more dance Fred Astaire

The Harvey Girls-Judy Garland

Silk Stockings-more dance Fred Astaire

Naughty Marietta or Bitter Sweet-older and more sappy...also more of an operetta, Jeannette MacDonald/Nelson Eddy

South Pacific

Springtime in the Rockies-less of a musical and more of a movie with musical numbers Carmen Miranda

My family was always a little obsessive about musicals. Everyone by my sister would watch them over and over. First tier are ones we would watch every time they were on. Second tier is greatly enjoyed but more occasional.