Menu

Flat Stanley needs some hosts

In2why

We just finished reading Flat Stanley, and Flat Stanley in Egypt. I am hoping to get some volunteer families, and their kids to allow him to visit, and then mail him back. We would mail a blank Flat Stanley,and a Hampton Roads Va, Stanley for your kids to keep, and my thought is that your kids could color / decorate ours in a way that represents where you live, and write something on the back or take a picture of an adventure (field trip) and then send him back. We live in Virginia and I am hoping to send him all over. If you are willing, or wanted to do participate please let me know, and I will get everything ready to mail out.

Ah, cool. Yeah, we had a lot of fun when we did ours. I wish I could remember where we found the template for ours...it was basically just a blank paper doll looking thing with no clothes or facial features or anything so that they could be added on individually. People would draw on his face, clothes (or would give him felt clothes, or paper cut out clothes, or use paints or markers or whatever they wanted...some of them would get pretty creative)!

I recommend people put him on cardboard backing (or you do) as he holds up much better that way! :)

ETA: Just something like this basically!

http://www.mrsperkins.com/files/stanley.pdf

Edited by NanceXToo

We would be excited to do it too here in Alaska. Will pm you and see if you are still open for one here...:001_smile:

Fabulous!!! I am hoping to send out as many as possible and over the weekend I am going to have my little guy make about 20 of them to send out. So yes please PM with your addresses. I love the hive and how great the community is here.

Ok. I'm not familiar with how this works, but my kids love getting mail, so count us is. We are in Nebraska. Pm me with details.

Hi Wendy, I am answering here instead of.in PM in case someone is lurking with the same questions.

Flat Stanley is a book series about a boy who gets flattened by a bulletin board and then has adventures. He can travel by mail because he is flat and folds up instead of needing to go by plane. These books are beginning chapter books, and have spawned penpal type Stanley exchanges.

I will have my son, age 8, decorate a blank Stanley based on where we live, and send it to your child along with a blank Stanley for your child to complete and mail back. The hope is that it makes the book come alive, gives him a geography resource, as well as the fun of getting mail. He will also have some neat Stanleys all different, which is an extra pleasure, because we often buy 2 of the same book at thrift shops for his oral reading, and the books have different illustrators so he compares pictures and we get a kick out of how different people imagine a scene in their head.

Hope that helps with any questions and if you are willing, PM me your address and we are going to send them out next week.

OP, another fun thing I would recommend, which I did when we did our FS project, was setting up a Flat Stanley blog.

When you get a bunch of people from different states and countries, especially all from one online community like ours, all volunteering to host him for you, it would be fun to have a blog set up where people can send you digital pics of the things he's "seeing and doing" and you can post pics of his activities and information about the places he's visiting, and then all of us participating can go to the blog and see his different adventures and pictures of the different Stanleys you got and stuff like that. It's a fun way to expand the project. :)

Just make sure people take pics of Stanley alone for you to post on the site and that if they take pics of him with their kids and family and such, they let you know whether they want those pics on the blog or just for you to have. Just an idea!

Guest MartinStanley

Hello everyone,

I am pleased to see the interest in exchanging your Flat Stanley's. I just wanted to let everyone know that you can find more hosts to exchange your Stanley's with on http://www.FlatStanley.com and also instead of walking around with a fragile paper doll in your pocket, we created a free app available on iTunes that allows you to create a customized Flat Stanley and superimpose him onto your camera screen. Now you can easily take pictures with Flat Stanley anywhere you go. Here's the link to the download check it out. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/flat-stanley/id382161936?mt=8