Menu

Can I brag here??

KristenR

I already called Nanny and Grandpa because they are the safest bet to brag to. I normally try to refrain from bragging about my kids' education because everyone has different struggles and successes.

But today my dd5 blew my mind and I wanted to share in a place where people wouldn't take it as shamefaced bragging but more of a "holy-cow-how COOL-is-this incident"!!!

I recently bought new dry-erase markers because my dds much prefer writing with those than paper and pencil. My dd5 was writing away for quite awhile and then came and asked if she spelled a word correctly....

She spelled 'Astronomy' correctly!

She is almost done with OPGTR, in the middle of AAS2, and halfway done with ETC4 so I knew she was strong in reading and she spells most things she attempts correctly. But she never attempted such a long word on her own before and it blew me away.

Nice! You know what I'd do? Start asking her to guess at spellings of challenging words that come up in conversation, on signs while out and about, etc. Also, if you read with her at all, try shutting the book occasionally and asking her to spell a longish word she just read-- start with a word she read in the previous sentence, then one further back in the page, etc. These and other techniques added some fun for DS6 and (I think) helped develop his natural spelling abilities even more-- now he's like a little word recorder.

Nice! You know what I'd do? Start asking her to guess at spellings of challenging words that come up in conversation, on signs while out and about, etc. Also, if you read with her at all, try shutting the book occasionally and asking her to spell a longish word she just read-- start with a word she read in the previous sentence, then one further back in the page, etc. These and other techniques added some fun for DS6 and (I think) helped develop his natural spelling abilities even more-- now he's like a little word recorder.

Oh! I love those ideas!! What great suggestions!! I just started the reading the Enchanted Castle by Nesbit for our read-aloud and she stopped me repeatedly to ask what the definitions were of lots of words. Maybe I'll have a "guess that spelling" question once in awhile and try to make a fun game out of it.