Menu

What math for K prior to CLE 100?

razorbackmama

I know that CLE doesn't have a true K curriculum - what have y'all used for math in K prior to starting CLE 100 in 1st grade? I need something laid out. Just "real life math" won't happen consistently enough to adequately prepare.

Miquon is a favorite around here and for good reason, but something similar and very laid out is the MUS primer. The video and TM pretty much holds your hand. Also memoria press uses the first half of R&S grade one in their K program. I think they do a lot of repetition of the workbook concepts with the blacklines for extra practice.

I also have a K'er who will be doing CLE 100 next year.:tongue_smilie: We are using the primer concepts and miquon with some of the R&S sheets for number formation practice.

hths

I like Abeka K math, which I used for both of our older DDs. I don't particularly like the Abeka math after that, though. It's short yet thorough. It systemically teaches recognition of numbers to 100, which I have found lacking in other curricula. Many assume your child already knows and recognizes numbers.

Depending on how much math your child knows. If they can count to 10, recognize numbers , and can write numbers. You could easily start with CLE 100 but go slowly. This is what we are doing right now.

Or you can go with R&S 1st grade math (its the equivalent to K math) , Abeka K, BJU K, ACE 1st grade level ( this is workbook style like CLE) , Horizons K , Christian Liberty K, the list goes on :>)

Depending on how much math your child knows. If they can count to 10, recognize numbers , and can write numbers. You could easily start with CLE 100 but go slowly. This is what we are doing right now.
She can count, but she can't recognize or write numbers yet.

I had considered using RS A with her, and I may still, I'm not sure. I've used BJU K in the past...it was OK but I think I'd like something different for her.

What might be the most similar in teaching style/methodology to CLE 100?

I like Abeka K math, which I used for both of our older DDs. I don't particularly like the Abeka math after that, though. It's short yet thorough. It systemically teaches recognition of numbers to 100, which I have found lacking in other curricula. Many assume your child already knows and recognizes numbers.

:iagree:I used ABEKA this year for my K and will be doing CLE 100 next year for my DD who will be in 1st. I'll do the same thing next year with my DS who will be in K.

The most similar in style would be Horizons K or Abeka K

Programs like :

Miquon

Rod and Staff

Christian Liberty

BJU

Ace

Math U See

Singapore

MEP

Would all be Mastery math programs. Not the same as what CLE uses.

This helps TREMENDOUSLY! I knew that BJU, Miquon, Singapore, and MUS were all mastery (we've used all of those in the past), but I didn't know about the others you listed. I knew Horizons was spiral but I didn't know Abeka was too. Thank you!

I went to Abeka's (very confusing) website. What all is needed for their K math?

I would get the IG and teacher's manual. The other things are a waste IMO. You can make flash cards, use dominoes for the dot cards, and I also made felt numbers for the child to manipulate.

The homeschool games and graphs (or whatever it's called) is a waste. There were a few things we used in there, like a temperature gauge, but the rest was silly. Most of the games were having your child put an apple on a tree when they got the correct answer and stuff like that. We used beans, marbles, toothpicks, straws, and popsicle sticks for manpulatives.

Making the felt numbers is self explanatory. If you're interested in making a temperature gauge, get a piece of cardstock and draw a thermometer with 10, 20, 30, etc. Each line between each 10 is worth 2. Then make a slit with razor above gauge and below. Get a piece of red construction paper and white, cut into a strip that fits in the slits. Tape the 2 paper strips together. The red part will move up and down the thermometer and the white part will be to differentiate where the "mercury" ends. Put the now longer paper strip through the slits so that it is on top where the thermometer drawing is, and tape the ends together in the back like a circle. Now you can move the "mercury" up and down and have your child read the temperature. I hope that makes sense! It is easier than it sounds.

Edited by 3peasinapod

I would get the IG and teacher's manual. The other things are a waste IMO. You can make flash cards, use dominoes for the dot cards, and I also made felt numbers for the child to manipulate.

The homeschool games and graphs (or whatever it's called) is a waste. There were a few things we used in there, like a temperature gauge, but the rest was silly. Most of the games were having your child put an apple on a tree when they got the correct answer and stuff like that. We used beans, marbles, toothpicks, straws, and popsicle sticks for manpulatives.

Making the felt numbers is self explanatory. If you're interested in making a temperature gauge, get a piece of cardstock and draw a thermometer with 10, 20, 30, etc. Each line between each 10 is worth 2. Then make a slit with razor above gauge and below. Get a piece of red construction paper and white, cut into a strip that fits in the slits. Tape the 2 paper strips together. The red part will move up and down the thermometer and the white part will be to differentiate where the "mercury" ends. Put the now longer paper strip through the slits so that it is on top where the thermometer drawing is, and tape the ends together in the back like a circle. Now you can move the "mercury" up and down and have your child read the temperature. I hope that makes sense! It is easier than it sounds.

Thanks - that does make sense. I think we did something similar in BJU K.