Menu

Must have art-supplies to have at home

miracleone

beeswax crayons

good quality colored pencils (we have the Lyra Ferby for the little and Prismacolor for the big child)

doublestick tape

tissue paper

small squares of paper for mosaics (I print a grid on colored paper and cut them apart)

stencils

different paints

rolled paper or large sheets of moving paper

stamps

stapleless stapler

I just created an art room for dd. Besides the things mentioned we have:

material scrapes

rubber stamps and ink pads

paper punches

decorative paper (scrapbook paper pads are perfect)

shape scissors

gel pens

glitter glue

lids from bottles (make perfect circles to trace of different sizes)

paper brads

rivets and rivet gun

ribbon

tracing paper

I gave dd all my scrapbooking supplies that have been sitting in my closet for 7yrs. Figured someone should use it. She has been in creating heaven since she got the room.

I just created an art room for dd. Besides the things mentioned we have:

material scrapes

rubber stamps and ink pads

paper punches

decorative paper (scrapbook paper pads are perfect)

shape scissors

gel pens

glitter glue

lids from bottles (make perfect circles to trace of different sizes)

paper brads

rivets and rivet gun

ribbon

tracing paper

I gave dd all my scrapbooking supplies that have been sitting in my closet for 7yrs. Figured someone should use it. She has been in creating heaven since she got the room.

A dedicated art room? Sounds wonderful! Do we get to see pictures of your room?

lots of scissors

colored pencils

buckets of markers

different kinds/weights of paper to draw on

construction paper

glue

string, yarn

cardboard from boxes

ticky tack (the stuff that you can hang things with on the walls- they use it to attach all sorts of things to other things- lego guys, trains, etc.)

and this is VERY IMPORTANT-

TRAYS- I have a couple from Ikea that were just a few dollars, but I've also accumulated a few of those big black square trays from events that were catered. They're not the sturdiest, but they work well to protect surfaces.

Crayola 150-Count Telescoping Crayon Tower -- We love ours. We've had it for almost two years now. Some of our crayons are broken or missing, but man, we love it.

Crayola Model Magic -- The perfect, non-messy, no baking required "clay". Great for a carpeted house with active little ones who think that the dog would absolutely love to wear a hat and booties made from clay, lol.

Drawing Pads - I purchased several of these at Target during the Back-to-School sale this past fall. They've held up surprisingly well.

Sketch Pads - I purchased three of these sketch pads (one for me, one for each of the olders) and they really love them. These are great for heavy duty sketching and illustrated journaling (which my kids love to do).

Crayola Giant Coloring Pages - I've bought several of these over the years. They are large enough for everyone to color a single page together, but are also just the right size for a young child to engage in some epic coloring projects all by their lonesome.

Prismacolor Colored Pencils - A good set for kiddos, especially boys who like to play drums with pencils. He broke about 3 dozen cheap pencils before I finally decided to invest in good ones...and gave him the shoebox full of old ones to use as drum sticks as long as he promised not to drum with the new ones...

Pastels -- My oldest has fine motor issues and loves to use his fingers to smear paint and chalk. Pastels were probably the best thing I purchased.

Sidewalk chalk -- Can't beat it for outdoor art. Also good for shadow tracing and outdoor timelining.

Not really art supplies, but good to keep on hand:

scissors

tape

glue sticks

2 liter bottles

1 liter bottles

coffee cans (both kinds)

rocks (my kids like to paint rocks and decorate them)

plastic cookie cutters (great for tracing and cutting shapes from clay, playdough and Model Magic)

all purpose cleaners (I like Goo Gone, Bar Keeper's Friend, and Magic Erasers)

I put together a whole page of my favorite art supplies. I also have some "how to" videos and ideas for organizing your supplies too.

Art Supplies for Kids

LOVE the link and your explanation of the different oil pastels. I've started my shopping list just by looking at your site. Thank you for sharing! I have the Prang colored pencils and those are ok for now. I think I'll wait on the Prismacolor because of budget issues :) I am getting the watercolor crayons and the oil pastels.

I put together a whole page of my favorite art supplies. I also have some "how to" videos and ideas for organizing your supplies too.

Art Supplies for Kids

As a fellow art teacher myself, I have to say I agree with all that Barb (harmonyartmom) has shared. What a great resource for homeschool parents! I was just talking on another thread recently about the difference between cheap supplies and real art supplies that set students up for success. I hope everyone takes the time to read what Barb has to say about this from the link she's provided. Art IS important in our children's education!

As to my own favorites for young students....I like the things that Barb lists - especially Prismacolor pencils. And I also like to keep nice Strathmore drawing paper on hand (paper that contains cotton, not just wood pulp), marker paper and nice markers, Sharpies, Yarka brand watercolors, daVinci Jr. paintbrushes, Strathmore watercolor paper, tracing paper, Akua water-based printmaking inks and Dura-Lar acetate sheets for making monoprints, a rolling pin and brayers (again for printmaking), soft pastels as well as oil pastels and plenty of pastel paper for using with both. (A good, affordable choice for this is a variety of toned Canson Mi-Tientes paper that comes in pads.) These are some of my favorites, but I know I'm leaving several things out that could be mentioned.

Some practical things to remember in the art room or area would be plenty of paper towels, disposable paper plates for paint palettes, cotton swabs, alcohol, recycled tin cans for storing pencils and brushes, and a good storage system. Oh, and 11" x 17" sheets of newsprint to use as placemats under projects and also to fold over and protect work that smears easily.

Honestly, I'm not trying to advertise for any brands I've mentioned and I don't get paid by anyone whenever I make recommendations. I just love to help people out with this since it's also my special area of education. For all the help I've gotten over the years from others on this forum when it comes to other subjects, this is the least I can do.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Edited by HSMom2One

We have an art area in the playroom, so I love that we have an art cart - holds everything, including different sized paper neatly, with lots of trays and holders.

For supplies, lots and lots of assorted doo-dads, crayons, markers, oil pastels, water color paints, tempera paints, paint brushes of assorted sizes, small palettes to hold paint, cups for paints, tons of assorted paper in different sizes, textures and colors, stencils, stamps, colored pencils, pens, tape (lots and lots of tape - scotch and assorted colors of masking tape), glue sticks, elmer's white glue, paste, mod-podge, pipe cleaners, beads, foam sheets and stickers, scissors (assorted sizes and cut patterns), paper stickers, lots of blanks - masks, animals, crowns, etc., wood pieces, popsicle sticks (plain and colored), shiny stick ons, and just odds and ends.

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to say thanks for all the ideas. When it comes to art, I'm at a loss of what to purchase. My almost-4-yr-old loves to be artistic and I feel I need to stock up on better supplies this year. I enrolled ds (7) in an art co-op class next year...very excited for that!