Menu

Sabbatical?

DH has just started working for a company that gives all their managers a mandatory two week sabbatical, all expenses paid, after five years with the company. The only caveat is that the person has to come back with a presentation to the management team about his or her experience. He hasn't seen anyone else's presentation yet, but he is already considering taking his sabbatical to do some kind of mission work somewhere, probably with a deaf school internationally. Since this is all hypothetical in the future, I don't know if it helps or not.

My husband is a university professor, so sabbaticals are the norm for us. He actually converted his first (four months in Oxford, England) into a leave of absence a few years ago, so last year we had the option of a half or full year, so we took a half year (that's four months in academia speak) in St. Paul, Minnesota. They're great experiences :). I was still working during the first, and my boss had no problem with it. During the second, I was already a SAHM, but my kids were in public school. For us, it was a no-brainer to put the kids in school out there and let them get the benefit of experiencing all of a different part of the country.

Of all things, it turned into the beginning of our homeschool journey!! The schools out there were SPECTACULAR. The kids had the best school experience EVER. We came home and realized, "Oh, THAT is what education is supposed to be like??" We knew we had been very unhappy (see my long-out of date blog for the full story there) but not just how bad it was until we saw just how good it should be (did I mention the public school we were in in St. Paul, MN was fantastic?). We wasted little time in pulling the kids out of PS and beginning to home school :).

For our next sabbatical, whenever/whereever it will be, I will probably research the schools, just out of curiosity, but by then the kids will be older, and we'll probably stick with the travel flexibility offered by homeschooling (and stay registered with our home state for simplicity) and keep them on track with our curricular plans as we travel.

What's on your mind? The sabbatical triggered our homeschooling, but we haven't done one yet while homeschooling-- just normal travel to conferences and such!

Jen

DH works for a company that gives a three month sabbatical every 7 years. He took his when we had DS so when I went back to work he had three months at home with the baby! It was really great. However, I would suggest that if you are going to take a sabbatical....plan something big. I have seen lots of other guys from his company fritter away three months by watching tv, hanging out, thinking that they will do something and then poof three months are finished!

My husband is a university professor, so sabbaticals are the norm for us. He actually converted his first (four months in Oxford, England) into a leave of absence a few years ago, so last year we had the option of a half or full year, so we took a half year (that's four months in academia speak) in St. Paul, Minnesota. They're great experiences :). I was still working during the first, and my boss had no problem with it. During the second, I was already a SAHM, but my kids were in public school. For us, it was a no-brainer to put the kids in school out there and let them get the benefit of experiencing all of a different part of the country.

Of all things, it turned into the beginning of our homeschool journey!! The schools out there were SPECTACULAR. The kids had the best school experience EVER. We came home and realized, "Oh, THAT is what education is supposed to be like??" We knew we had been very unhappy (see my long-out of date blog for the full story there) but not just how bad it was until we saw just how good it should be (did I mention the public school we were in in St. Paul, MN was fantastic?). We wasted little time in pulling the kids out of PS and beginning to home school :).

Similar experience here.

DH is a university professor; I was able to get an unpaid leave of absence, and we spent 7 months in Germany. Kids attended public school.

We had actually pulled DD out of school two months before to get her up to speed in math, becuase the US school was a year behind in math compared to the German school she was going to attend - in 6th grade.

After that, back in the US, we started homeschooling for real.

The next sabbatical is not due until our DD is in college and DS is nearing the end of his high school years. Not sure what we are going to do about it.

Similar experience here.

DH is a university professor; I was able to get an unpaid leave of absence, and we spent 7 months in Germany. Kids attended public school.

We had actually pulled DD out of school two months before to get her up to speed in math, becuase the US school was a year behind in math compared to the German school she was going to attend - in 6th grade.

After that, back in the US, we started homeschooling for real.

The next sabbatical is not due until our DD is in college and DS is nearing the end of his high school years. Not sure what we are going to do about it.

Was it hard to get your kids in school in a foreign country?

My last employer (before I quit work to stay home to homeschool) offered a 2 month paid sabbatical after 7 years of service.

I went to Germany for 3 weeks (with DS and my mom - mom is German and I grew up there) and then DH and I spent two weeks in Italy. It was wonderful. :)

My dad is a university professor, and our family went on international sabbaticals with him when I was 7 and 14. They were both great experiences for me and I feel incredibly lucky now to have had them, but I complained quite a lot at the time about leaving my friends and "normal" life at home.

The first was in Paris, where I went to the local French elementary school for the first half of second grade. I was in a special class for non-native speakers, which I think made fitting in easy as I had a ready-made group of "outsiders" to bond with. I had friends from all over the world. I remember mostly liking it, and I spoke French with no accent by the end.

At 14, we were in a Flemish part of Belgium, and I went to a pretty upscale British private school instead of learning Flemish. It was FABULOUS. A million times better than my decent PS at home! I had friends from all over the world there again, and had in-depth, challenging classes for the first time in my life. My parents agonized about sending me back to public school when we returned home, but in the end they did. I turned out okay :001_smile:, but I still remember how great that British school was!

My husband is also a professor and he had his first half year sabbatical a year and a half ago. We stayed put because I was too tired of moving around (he studies comparative politics and we had lived in Japan twice (a year plus each) and Paris (one summer). We started HSing the second trip to Japan. He is on leave this year and working with USAID and it looks like we may be in Japan starting this fall for a 9-12 month stint. Oh the travelling life!

DH (who in software, not a professor) hit his five year mark with his company this month and will be getting a month long sabbatical. He plans to combine that with vacation time and take about two months total.

We initially dreamed of a giant, countrywide road trip. However, since we have pretty young kids and not that much in the way of funding we have decided to stay put and use the time for several things including projects around the house and some volunteer work around town. We also decided to use that time for our study of state history and take several short trips around our state.

Now, I we just have to plan carefully so we don't end up wasting it all!

My husband is a pastor and has a sabatical every 7 years. In 2000 we took a trip to Israel and then some personal vacation time. In 2007 our youngest dd was in high school and we didn't feel that we could all go somewhere and have her miss school. So, dh spent some personal time by himself in Florida seeing NASA, reading books and then a couple of weeks in Virginia visiting civil war sites, his hobby, and then we went for 2 weeks to Hawaii. He did not really like doing things by himself and neither did I like him being away. He has another one coming up in 2 years and no plans yet. For his work, a sabatical is really set up as a rest time, not for research or enhancement. I think he had 6 weeks for his last sabatical.

We were living in Hong Kong and Husband was really burned out. We decided to go to mainland China (to learn/brush up our Chinese and live cheaply) for six months. We loved it and ended up staying for four years: Husband worked in China for a couple of years and then commuted to Hong Kong for a year.

Laura

Anyone ever taken one/had their spouse take one? How long was it, where did you go?

:bigear:

My SIL, who is a professor at Connecticut College, is on sabbatical right now. I think her sabbatical is for 8 months IIRC. She is in the Dominican Republic teaching in a University there. Her field is Hispanic Studies at Connecticut College.