Menu

You can take a horse to water...... school lunches

I certainly don't think it develops bad habits, but I'm not sure it develops habits of eating other kinds of food than cold, prepared or raw snacks, which frankly I think would be beneficial, although apparently no one eats many raw fruits or veges these days! It just sounds boring, not unhealthy but not ideal.

I don't personally think it's the school's or government's responsibility to develop "interesting" food habits. I think the only justifiable reason to spend government money on school lunch is that some kids are otherwise too hungry to learn. So I personally think they should do the minimum required to fill the gap, without actually doing damage to the kids' health and self-esteem. (And no, I do not believe that a cheese sandwich damages a child's self-esteem, as one mom argued.) If kids consider the offered food to be too boring, they should by all means pack their own lunches at home. If they are truly hungry, they will eat.

Wasted food is a terrible shame.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The comment wasn't directed at you. This is just another in a myriad of examples where press reports are so skewed that people get "outraged" when there is no cause, and this actually moves them to act against their own interests and against the interest of society at large.

In this case children, and especially the most vulnerable, directly benefit.

In this case the Los Angeles schools have improved school lunches considerably. They are better tasting and more healthful. These are positive moves. Yet, due to skewed reporting, it is made to look like a bad move.

Bill

It seems that many of the press reports came from this comment by , L.A. Unified's food services director, Dennis Barrett, who announced that the menu would be revised and who called the debut a "disaster". Now I may only trust the entertainment industry less than I trust some of the press but given the plethora of articles on this it would seem that some of the food was genuinely unpopular.

Food served in schools should be healthy (probably one of the few issues where you and I agree) and I wish that there were a way to get kids to eat better but does some of the "outrage" that you rail against not stem from the comments of the food services director.

It would also seem that when "at Van Nuys High School, complaints about the food were so widespread that Principal Judith Vanderbok wrote to Barrett with the plea: "Please help! Bring back better food!" ...she was probably not responding to press reports.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/dec/17/local/la-me-food-lausd-20111218

Edited by pqr

You're so very contrary. What's your deal? They are tweaking, and that's good. It is too bad the kids couldn't handle Pad Thai? Beef jambalaya? ;) I can hardly believe that, really. I'm trying. Noodles are an issue now? What a world. It does seem odd to me that there was such complaint in LA about such food. Or is it really that the squeaky wheel always gets the grease?

"The district is even bringing back pizza — albeit with a whole wheat crust, low-fat cheese and low-sodium sauce, according to food services deputy director David Binkle.

We're trying to put healthier foods in place and make food [that] kids like, and that's a challenge," Binkle said. "But we want to be responsive and listen and learn."

This year, L.A. Unified, which serves 650,000 meals daily, has received awards for improving its school lunches, including one last week from the U.S. Department of Agriculture and another from the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine.

The new menus are in line with the federal government's updated dietary guidelines, which recommend, for instance, that fruits and vegetables make up half the plate.

For months before introducing the new fare, the district held community taste tests and collected 300,000 comments — 75% of which were positive, Binkle said."

There is never going to be 100% approval for anything. The kids who want and can afford Cheeto lunches can still have them.

It seems that many of the press reports came from this comment by , L.A. Unified's food services director, Dennis Barrett, who announced that the menu would be revised and who called the debut a "disaster". Now I may only trust Hollywood less than I trust some of the press but given the plethora of articles on this it would seem that some of the food was genuinely unpopular.

Food served in schools should be healthy (probably one of the few issues where you and I agree) and I wish that there were a way to get kids to eat better but does some of the "outrage" that you rail against not stem from the comments of the food services director.

It would also seem that when "at Van Nuys High School, complaints about the food were so widespread that Principal Judith Vanderbok wrote to Barrett with the plea: "Please help! Bring back better food!" ...she was probably not responding to press reports.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/dec/17/local/la-me-food-lausd-20111218

Edited by LibraryLover

You're so very contrary. What's your deal? Did you read the whole article:

"This year, L.A. Unified, which serves 650,000 meals daily, has received awards for improving its school lunches, including one last week from the U.S. Department of Agriculture and another from the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine.

The new menus are in line with the federal government's updated dietary guidelines, which recommend, for instance, that fruits and vegetables make up half the plate.

For months before introducing the new fare, the district held community taste tests and collected 300,000 comments — 75% of which were positive, Binkle said."

There is never going to be 100% approval for anything. The kids who want and can afford Cheeto lunches can still have them.

Yes I read the article and I like the idea of healthy food.

Did you read the article which said that some of those who liked the test food do not like what is being served?

Yes I read the article and I like the idea of healthy food.

Did you read the article which said that some of those who liked the test food do not like what is being served?

Yes I did. I even edited to be nicer. Who is behind all the noodle hate?

Edited by LibraryLover

The comment wasn't directed at you. This is just another in a myriad of examples where press reports are so skewed that people get "outraged" when there is no cause, and this actually moves them to act against their own interests and against the interest of society at large.

In this case children, and especially the most vulnerable, directly benefit.

In this case the Los Angeles schools have improved school lunches considerably. They are better tasting and more healthful. These are positive moves. Yet, due to skewed reporting, it is made to look like a bad move.

Bill

Thanks for the clarification. Sorry I misinterpreted.

I agree with the bolded.

Just curious: Have you looked at the menus linked here? If so, I'd love to know what you "couldn't stand" to eat?

I looked at the elementary menus. I do not care for raw veggies or fruits. I do eat tons of them cooked. I do not like chalupas, chili verde, turkey burgers (texture thing) or jambalaya. Just my personal taste. It's not bad food, just not what I like. My ps kids always have taken their lunch since our system is still on the hot dog, corn dog, chicken nugget, fries treadmill. I don't like that either :tongue_smilie: My lunch is almost always stir fry, lentil or tomato soup or spinach omelet.