Menu

Sex Ed

Xilka

We covered the basics through ongoing conversations throughout the childhood years, basically answering all the kids' questions.

With the onset of puberty, our kids prefer not to have these discussions with us parents; they rather want to read about it in privacy. Which is why we bought them books. My and DH's parents did the same many decades ago.

I would highly recommend a new book called "Six Ways to Keep the Good in Your Boy" by Dannah Gresh. This is a book for you, the mom, but will give you some good information about guiding your son through the tween years. Also, a great book for Dad to go through with your son is "Lintball Leo's Not-So-Stupid Questions About Your Body". This one will be fun and educational at the same time. Both are from a Christian perspective and help you promote purity while teaching the basics. In addition, there is a kit called "Passport 2 Purity" which outlines a retreat the parents can take their child on as a right of passage when they are turning from tween to teen.

My DD wanted nothing to do with learning about sex. She felt she was too young, so I let it go until she started menstruation. Then I got her the girl version of this book - http://www.amazon.com/Whats-Happening-Body-Book-Boys/dp/1557047693/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1327202862&sr=1-1 and let her read it on her own. If she had questions she'd ask. In all she really liked the book and highly recommends it.

We didn't really call it "s*x Ed"...that sounds so schoolish.

We just called it Boys Health, as the "official name" on our records.

We started by DS reading a book about just boy's puberty. Then once a week, DH and he would have a talk, when they were doing something else, like throwing the ball around, lifting weights, etc. DH has read the chapters too.

Then about a year later, around age 12 (maybe late for some people, but seemed about right for our DS, based on his life exposures, etc.), we have him read Dr. Dobson's book, specifically the chapters on s&X.

DH was supposed to talk to him about that too....right away...but kept delaying. Finally I just blew his cover....they were both in the room, I said "Dad wants to talk to you about sex". And then I left the room. Pretty sure my DH had to pick up his face off the carpet first, lol. That conversation lasted about 5 minutes, and from what I got from DH, was weird and awkward for them both. Not sure why, really.....I wouldn't think it would be from the same-sex parent.

These look good! Do the two younger-kid books talk about Jesus at all, or just God? In the preview on Christianbook.com, there is some in the oldest-kid book, but I didn't notice anything in the first 2.

I only have the first two because our daughter is only 6 but I don't remember any references to Jesus. I think most the references where statements like, "God designed boys different than girls" and things like that. I remember skimming thru the older kids books at a conference and thinking they were very thorough and detailed. This is also true of the two we have. They are very specific and detailed.