Menu

Items that technology will kill this decade...

Lot of this is just untrue. I remember when ATM came out in the early 80;s and even earlier in Europe. The prognisticators said BM banks would disappear. Even though I use an out of state bank, I see most people using BM banks and plenty of them being around still- over 30 years later.

SOmethings may end up being online- but newspapers I think will still exist. Many of these things will. And things we don't think about will disappear. There will be technological innovations we can't guess at right now. There will be disasters we don't forecast and those will change society too. Who knew in 1980 that we would have 9/11? In 2010, who knew we would have the disasters hit Japan like they did?

I think it will take a generation not a decade to get through that list. Older generations slow things down. That is the way it has always been. It's a good thing in my mind. :-)

One thing that really bothers me is not the technology but the impatience with those who are reluctant to jump into change, like me. It would also help if the new technologies would be streamlined or simplified. To many people, less is more. The demise of aesthetics and craftsmanship also bothers me. For decades, a television has been one of the ugliest things in a home. Surely it wouldn't be too hard to make something that is visually pleasing. I am so sick of black.

I take issue with paper maps, corks, face-to-face interaction, and wrist watches. I still keep paper maps because I'm not gonna be that sucker getting lost because of a lousy satellite signal or dead battery. I know how to use them too. I think corks, and other impractical but beautiful things, like high heels, will hold on. Face-to-face will always matter because technology won't replace touching anytime soon, and without physical meetings there won't be any more people :-) Also, obtaining food generally requires some sort of physical human interaction. Oddly enough, wrist watches will definitely hang on longer. There are certain workplaces where advanced technology is strictly forbidden for security reasons. The more sophisticated the phone, the more reasons to keep it out of secure spaces. Those guys all wear watches.

Edited by KungFuPanda