Menu

Traveling for a job

I'm wondering what kind of jobs take you to live in foreign countries? I know being in the military is one, but I'm not interested in joining lol. Teaching also, but don't really want to teach anyone but my own dc.

I'd love to spend a few years in France or England when my kids are older. I'm working on getting a degree right now and would love to know what kind of job would make this possible?

I'm interested in learning languages, art and history.

So there are no jobs that require relocation other than military or teaching? :)

I know there are construction/engineering jobs (if you work with a global company) that can transfer you all over the place. I think the same is true for software engineers.

You are a college professor, you can take sabbaticals and guest teach at a foreign university.

Missionary work takes many of my friends to foreign lands.

I have friends teaching English in the Japan right now.

Pilots, oil company executives, and other global company folks (accountants, etc.) get to live abroad often.

I'll post more if I think of more...

My DH has traveled quite a bit for his jobs as a Drilling Supervisor and Drilling Consultant. He's been to Indonesia, Singapore, Thailand, Hong Kong, Philippines, Nicaragua, New Zealand, Australia, Canada, and has spent a lot of time working in Utah, New Mexico, Nevada, and California.

His employer wanted him to go to Columbia this week but I'm not having it. He's also likely to travel to Chile in the next few months and may even take a job there.

I keep telling one of my girls to become a petroleum engineer or a geologist so she will be able to travel when she grows up. :)

You have to think about what you have which is more valuable than what local people have. That's why native English speakers often go as English teachers. A local museum curator or librarian might understand the local book reading habits better, or be more versed in relevant history. My sister is a museum curator and has lived overseas. The museum work she got while abroad was just volunteering - she hasn't managed to get paid employment. FWIW, the museum and library systems in the UK are under extreme pressure due to budget cuts - job openings are very unlikely. You might find something in a university, but there are always tons of students willing to take those jobs on.

Husband works in finance, which has sent us all over Asia. IT can also be good for travel, but often only at a managerial level.

Laura

Dh worked in construction.

I taught school.

Dd plans to work on youth training ships.

Ds#1 is doing an engineering apprenticeship (heavy fabrication / welding) that could see him working in many places overseas.

Ds#2 plans to do an apprenticeship in heavy diesel mechanics & that will open up many overseas opportunities working in mines, power stations, ships, etc.

Like Laura said, to be hired overseas you have to have some skills / qualification that the locals don't have & that they need. Jobs will go to qualified locals first.

Edited by Deb in NZ

Dh has worked for two large international companies and they send him overseas all the time to oversee projects or give training sessions. We could move overseas (and we did live in Europe for 10 years) but I have a lot of things tying me here for the moment. In dh's case it helps that he is bilingual and has a lot of experience in how things are run in the EU.

I've known attorneys and CPAs who lived overseas for a period of time; they worked for firms that had offices in England. One of my friends is a compliance manager for Glaxo and she travels to Europe a lot. Another friend was a manager with Siemens and he traveled to Germany a lot. Now he works for a Swiss-owned company, so he travels to Switzerland.

dh has been working away for the past 6 months. Many working in the office were from overseas. They were qualified insurance assessors & traveled all over the world in their line if work. But none of them brought family. They all worked 4-6 months at a time away from home. In my experience as an ex-pat, only those in higher up positions had family living with them overseas. A lot of ex-pats were working away from family.

In NZ experienced nurses are sought after & many hospitals have a number of ex-pat nurses or other medical personel.