Menu

How do you choose a hairdresser?

For my part, I had long long hair most of my life. Until 5-6 years ago when dd and I donated to Locks of Love while my mom was on chemo. We went to our friend who cut all our boys' hair in her home shop. We loved her! And then, she retired. :glare:

I don't have my hair cut often. ($$$, for one, and the hassle of finding someone new.) I let it go too long in between, which may be part of the problem.

Anyway. I tried a new shop the other day. Lovely older lady had just opened a shop nearby. She isn't busy and took plenty of time with me. She was friendly and sweet. My hair looks the best I can remember.

BUT

She cut herself while she was cutting my hair! Her hand was dripping! She had to excuse herself to go clean and bandage it. She said, "Oh, those new scissors. I always forget when I have new scissors."

I waited and was sympathetic.

And then she started back on my hair with the same scissors. With the blood. :001_huh: Would that freak you out??? I'm shuddering just thinking about it.

Sigh.

Would you go back??? Reasonable price. Convenient. Great cut. But that? :001_huh: What would you have done? What would you do in the future?

hmmmm I'd have to think about going back that would be kind of weird-the girl who does my hair now has nicked herself but not enough to bleed on me (or my son-she cuts his hair too)....I pick hairstylists by either family or friend reccomendations....I have gone to a walk in place once and had a color job by someone I didn't know but I try and stick with tried and true....

My hair looks the best I can remember.

Would you go back??? Reasonable price. Convenient. Great cut.

I would go back because of this. It's tough to find someone who gives you what you want.

Now if something weird happens again the next time, I might reconsider. And I'm assuming she cleaned the scissors off before resuming your cut :tongue_smilie: .

It took me a few years to find a hairdresser I really liked when we moved. Basically, I ask friends who have good haircuts where they get their hair done. Then I try out their stylist. I finally found one who does a great job, is reasonably priced, and is not strange.

It took me a few years to find a hairdresser I really liked when we moved. Basically, I ask friends who have good haircuts where they get their hair done. Then I try out their stylist. I finally found one who does a great job, is reasonably priced, and is not strange.

Good haircuts similar to what you want, and hair similar to yours. My friend with thick middle eastern hair has a stylist she loves... but she ruined my hair.

I would go back because of this. It's tough to find someone who gives you what you want.

:iagree:

Honesty, cleanliness, atmosphere, location, and skill are my criteria.

I am not a "latest and greatest" mom, so mod, fancy salons are not my thing. I color my own hair, so I want someone who respects that choice. And I want the same haircut each time unless I request it or unless they make a suggestion for a change and get my approval. And I don't want to drive far.

I've been going to mine for over a decade and hope that she continues for a long, long time.

I would probably go back. As long as you are happy overall with everything else and especially the haircut, I would give it another try.

It's possible she was a bit nervous since it's a new shop and you are a new client. That may be part of why she cut herself and maybe she wasn't thinking clearly about the scissors having blood on them.

In the past when I was looking for someone to cut my hair, I would notice other people's hair that I liked or if they had a really good cut and ask where they went. This last time it took me about three years and several different hairdressers (and a few bad haircuts) before I found someone I really liked.

New scissors are RAZOR sharp. They are all different lengths, and so she could be used to using shorter scissors and then went to, say, another inch longer, and her hand went back to the habitual short scissor placement and ...snip.

I had my hair cut by my daughter's teacher -who is an amazing hairdresser AND veteran of over 20 years. She, also, had just gotten a brand new pair of scissors (that day, I was her first client using them-my Dd did, too, so I know how sharp they are) and cut her hand while doing my hair.

Not weird at all, just a mistake. :001_smile: