Menu

does anyone use a c-rod track?

lorrainejmc

My 5 yo DS loves the track and it only costs $3.95. It is the only way he wants to play with the C-rods. Here is a link to a picture of it:

http://rainbowresource.com/pictures/014565/d420e12af5320e4c7f951fcc

It is like a centimeter ruler with a groove where the c-rods can fit. DS likes to verify the lengths of rods and to find out how much different amounts of rods add up. For example an hour ago he put in two blue rods and a red one and asked me if I knew that 9+9+2 equaled 20. Then I had him swap it for orange ones. He switched and said "two orange rods are two tens and that is twenty."

Another great activity to learn numbers to 100 is to build numbers using only orange and white rods. He would grab a mix of the rods and insert them in the track and figure out for example, three orange rods and seven whites is 3 tens and seven ones which is 37. He liked verifying this fact by looking at the centimeter markings on the track.

And lastly it is a centimeter ruler which came in handy when I had to measure something. I don't think you could buy a 50 centimeter ruler for less than four dollars anywhere.

We don't have a track. Where did you order your from?

I'm in the UK so I got mine from Amazon UK. It's made by Numicon and is in 10cm connectable pieces up to 100cm.

My dd is currently learning division with remainder so I thought it would be easier than her current method of placing counters on a 100s chart.:tongue_smilie: But mainly I got it for my 8 yr old ds who has speech/language/comprehension difficulties. He is very strong visual learner.

We used them, but it seems like they were more often turned into swords like a previous poster, but now that we're using the rods again with my youngest, my oldest keeps saying we need our tracks. I guess he got more out of them than I thought he did, at least mathematically.

We have 3 rod tracks (100, 50, & 20). I found them to be a wonderful addition to Miquon Maths. Yes, you can do Miquon without a rod track, but when you get to multiplication & division the track makes everything so-o-o-o much clearer IMHO. Miquon begins to introduce multiplication & division in the first book, so having a way to show the "why" easily & clearly is important IMHO.