In 30 minutes at my house

-- carry groceries into the house from the car

-- unpack half the groceries

-- ds splits his head open, grab the ice bag

-- find his shoes, coat because it's an ER trip for stitches

- instruct DH to bake the frozen pizza just bought for dinner

-- remind DH to take ds 8 to karate, "Yes, everyone else will have to go!"

-- find new insurance cards & cell phone

-- discover that one of the barn cats has eliminated a stinky on the porch rug, shout out to dd 11 directions for removing & cleaning.

Ahhh, the 5 minute drive to Urgent care.....with a screaming 6 yo who is repeating, "I don't want stitches. I won't do it again. Don't let them sew me up!" :auto:

DS 6 is sporting 4 stitches in his forehead. He got these by jumping over the handle on his Bozongi mini trampoline and cracking his head on a chair. Picture an olympic vaulter.

Why does stuff like this happen right before a meal time or just after bedtime?

Trampoline is in a time out, locked in the laundry room.

:grouphug: BTDT. Ds's first head crack was while we were walking out the door for daycare and work. He had a tantrum because he wanted to ride his little car in my car, I said no, he threw himself on the ground and cracked the back of his head.

Finger stitches were needed as soon as I started dinner.

Dd leg stitches also right before dinner.

Going to get stitches is the easy part. The making sure everything that was suppose to happen gets done while you are in the ER is the hard part...trying to bark out the orders for everyone, making sure you have it all covered, and worrying you forgot to mention something while bundling up a screaming child.

Hope your little guy is doing fine. Take pics so he can show everyone he meets...makes the experience less traumatic.

One concilation is that your DH was home, when those things happen to me DH is always out of town, so I have to quickly wrangle 4-5 kids into carseats and run off to the ER and then keep little children calm and quiet for hours while a different sibling is being worked on.

Hope your son is feeling better now.

When my son had stitches at two, several mothers of boys smiled sweetly and said some version of "Awww, his first stitches."

FIRST????? Boys are special.

Uh, yeah. Boys ARE special.

I have three sisters. NONE of us had stitches as a child.

Moose had his SECOND set of stitches a few weeks ago, right before turning six.

Stitches in his face twice by the age of five. Sigh.

Boys are special. :D

When my son had stitches at two, several mothers of boys smiled sweetly and said some version of "Awww, his first stitches."

:lol: At least it was just his first stitches and not first broken bone. :D

One concilation is that your DH was home, when those things happen to me DH is always out of town, so I have to quickly wrangle 4-5 kids into carseats and run off to the ER and then keep little children calm and quiet for hours while a different sibling is being worked on.

Hope your son is feeling better now.

I know the feeling. I am a single parent so no choice but to bring everyone and yeah 90% of the time it is when the food is half cooked so can't be saved (at least if I was just getting started I could put it aside until I got home to cook it), or it is after I already have gotten 1-2 kids asleep and then have to wake them up again to take the 3rd child to the ER. Murphy's Law is alive and well in my home.

These threads scare me. I have 3 dds 9, 14 & 17, who have never been to the emergency room/ urgent care. I also have 1 ds, 7, who has been to urgent care exactly once when scooter vs bike caused a pretty deep facial laceration. It was also at the height of the swine flu outbreak here so he was the only one in the waiting room sporting blood, the rest were all miserably sick. I never want to do that again!

Amber in SJ

2nd set of stitches on his forehead.

He got his first at age 2. He'd gotten a batman cape for his birthday. At bedtime he climbed his 5 drawer dresser and jumped off. He was trying to fly. But he hit the corner of his bed instead. That was a 10 p.m. trip to the ER.

I made sure he was still wearing his bloody cape. :D

He fell asleep waiting for that numbing stuff to work and slept through his first set completely. It was midnight by then. The ER doc was super impressed. He didn't even use additional numbing stuff.

Boys are special.

Ha this was us too! Ds is now 4, and not including the liquid stitches, he's been sewn up twice. Headers over the tricycle, slicing his hand open climbing the fence, falling off the couch onto a Lego, it goes on and on...