Menu

Breast Cancer

My mom was just diagnosed with ductal breast cancer. Something about the biopsy is leading them to believe it is invasive. I am beside myself.

We have no family history of breast cancer. It all seems so out of left field.

I am not ready for this - I still feel like a kid. :crying:

"Invasive" is pretty synonymous with "cancer." A few lucky women get ductal carcinoma in situ, which means it hasn't popped through the duct it started in. That is like stage 0 cancer. However, all the rest of ductal carcinoma is invasive ductal carcinoma. It could still be stage 1 and be labeled invasive. "Invasive" means it's popped out of the duct. It does NOT mean it has metastasized. They would have no way of knowing that yet. Invasive ductal carcinoma is garden variety breast cancer. 80% of breast cancer is this type.

For many women now, breast cancer is a CURABLE disease: they treat it and it never comes back. Though that is not the case with all types and stages, it is the case much more than you might think. It is a shock to hear the word cancer and I do wish that doctors realized that many people hear "invasive" and think "metastatic" and would clearly explain the difference when they give the initial biopsy results. Your mom will get more specific results in around a week's time. The specific type of cancer will give them more of an idea of the prognosis and course of treatment. Finding out whether there is any in the sentinel lymph node is the next step of the process. Hang in there.

Edited by Laurie4b

"Invasive" is pretty synonymous with "cancer." A few lucky women get ductal carcinoma in situ, which means it hasn't popped through the duct it started in. That is like stage 0 cancer. However, all the rest of ductal carcinoma is invasive ductal carcinoma. It could still be stage 1 and be labeled invasive. "Invasive" means it's popped out of the duct. It does NOT mean it has metastasized.

For many women now, breast cancer is a CURABLE disease: they treat it and it never comes back. Though that is not the case with all types and stages, it is the case much more than you might think. It is a shock to hear the word cancer and I do wish that doctors realized that many people hear "invasive" and think "metastatic" and would clearly explain the difference when they give the initial biopsy results. Your mom will get more specific results in around a week's time. The specific type of cancer will give them more of an idea of the prognosis and course of treatment. Finding out whether there is any in the sentinel lymph node is the next step of the process. Hang in there.

Well said. The word invasive is not as scary when properly presented.

I was diagnosed with invasive lobular (sp!?) breast cancer in December. Mine is the 2nd most common. Believe me, just hearing the words were a shock...but perhaps less so for me since I have a family history. Invasive scared me a lot.

Let me tell you what I've learned in the past month...the folks who work in the world of breast cancer are AWESOME. I just met with my oncologist for the first time today. She spent almost two full hours with me and my husband. To a person, every one we've met has been warm, friendly, upbeat, and knowledgable. Yes, even my surgeon. They have helped me in every way to understand that this may be my mom's breast cancer (possibly) but the treatments are NOT. Medical science has made tremendous advances in treatment of breast cancer in the past few years. YeeHaw for that!

Give each other lots of hugs and think (pray) positive. I'm on the path just ahead of you...stay in touch! We can cheer each other on!

You and your mom might like to read Barbara Delinsky's book "Uplift.' It's full of encouraging tidbits from survivors. I've learned a lot in the last few weeks from the book.

I have surgery tomorrow to implant the port for chemo and scoop a bit more lump that didn't get done the first go round...so out of contact.... I will be checking on you after that.

Be strong and be positive!

My Mom had the same diagnosis in April. It was terrifying. She had a lumpectomy followed by 8 weeks of daily radiation. She has since been given the all-clear. Stay strong. If you live nearby, and are both comfortable with it, go to her appts with her. That made a huge difference for our family. My Mom and Dad and I went to all the appts together so that I could focus on taking notes and listening to what the doctor said so that later when she had questions she could refer to my notes. It is a scary time for the whole family, and don't be afraid to recognize that even though it's your Mom with the cancer, it is really traumatizing for all of you. :grouphug:

Well said. The word invasive is not as scary when properly presented.

I was diagnosed with invasive lobular (sp!?) breast cancer in December. Mine is the 2nd most common. Believe me, just hearing the words were a shock...but perhaps less so for me since I have a family history. Invasive scared me a lot.

Let me tell you what I've learned in the past month...the folks who work in the world of breast cancer are AWESOME. I just met with my oncologist for the first time today. She spent almost two full hours with me and my husband. To a person, every one we've met has been warm, friendly, upbeat, and knowledgable. Yes, even my surgeon. They have helped me in every way to understand that this may be my mom's breast cancer (possibly) but the treatments are NOT. Medical science has made tremendous advances in treatment of breast cancer in the past few years. YeeHaw for that!

Give each other lots of hugs and think (pray) positive. I'm on the path just ahead of you...stay in touch! We can cheer each other on!

You and your mom might like to read Barbara Delinsky's book "Uplift.' It's full of encouraging tidbits from survivors. I've learned a lot in the last few weeks from the book.

I have surgery tomorrow to implant the port for chemo and scoop a bit more lump that didn't get done the first go round...so out of contact.... I will be checking on you after that.

Be strong and be positive!

:grouphug: So sorry that you are going through this. I will be thinking of you.

Thanks all for the encouraging words and hugs. They mean a lot.

Having been diagnosed with cancer myself, and having my mom diagnosed with breast cancer as well...my heart goes out to you. The first few weeks of unknowns and waiting for results are the hardest. Once you know what it is you're really dealing with you can make a game plan and feel proactive, which helps. Many women beat breast cancer every day. You'll be in my prayers.

Oh, mom and I are both cancer free now. :)

:grouphug: My mother in law was diagnosed Stage 3 breast cancer and had a long family history of breast cancer. That was 12 years ago. Treatment took 6 long months, but she has been very healthy ever since--spends her time running around with grandkids and just retired. You will have some scary times ahead, but you have many reasons to hope for the best :grouphug: