Menu

History of Medicine by Tiner - any reviews?

ELaurie

I'm interested too because I think we might read this after doing Head to Toe Science by Jim Weiss, the ChristianBook.com inside pages look great! I was going to pair it with Cells and Systems because we're studying the human body and then botany and it'll be a great transition, I think. I was going to check out both books from our new library (moving in 8 days) to make sure before I bought them.

I loved this book. Ds thought it was great. Dd said it was okay. It goes chronologically looking at various great contributors to the field of medicine. EAch section is fairly short and easy to read. At the end of each selection is a brief quiz to test your comprehension. The questions are very easy and make for a great little review. After reading this book, I was ready to go out and purchase the rest of hte series!

They keep asking for another chapter, as we did it aloud together for fun. Not sure it would hold the interest of a child under the age of 9-10, though. We've also read Tiner's Exploring Planet Earth (very interesting; great for ages 8 and up), and his World of Chemistry (rather dry; for ages 11 and up).

From what I've gathered from other past threads on John Tiner's books, your family will either really enjoy his History of Medicine book, or will find it dull. We were in the "loved it" camp. : ) BEST of luck! Warmly, Lori D.

Another thumbs up here- my dd read it a couple of years ago, and I am pretty sure that was the book that made her want to be a doctor, then medical scientist. She loved it. For ds, it was so so but I dont think he was quite ready for it.

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to thank everyone who responded to ELaurie's question, I just received our copy of The History of Medicine by Tiner and it is perfect! I've skim read it and it is right on target for the depth and coverage I've been looking for!!! Thank you so much, this has made achieving my goal of learning about scientists through history a bit easier. I'm so grateful to you all!!

The review at Amazon specifically notes this is a Christian author. How "neutral" or not are his books? (This of course may vary...the history of the earth may be less so than the history of medicine.) Thanks!

The books are Christian but my kids, who are a little allergic to too many Christian references (we are secular but they are surrounded by Christians and find it a bit much at times), didnt complain much at all, if at all- there are just a few comments here and there. Overall, as a secular homeschooler, I don't mind Tiner at all- very easy to jump over the amount of Christian references.

I have used the Chemistry book from this series, and I found the Christian content to be historical rather than preachy.

So, for instance, it would note that a particular chemist was a Christian who wrote about Christianity as well as chemistry, or one who thought that he was discovering God's work in nature by studying chemistry. There was no presented conflict between the science and the Bible, nor was there any claim of Providence in the discoveries that were made.

So I felt like the book was really fine for anyone, Christian or not, as it was just telling those facts about these scientists.