Menu

What can I do with leftover brisket? Meal planning.

Dh is insistent on roast for Sunday Dinner. Our Walmart has brisket for a little over $2 lb. The catch? You have to purchase 15-17lbs at a time. Dh has agreed that brisket would be an acceptable substitution for roast.:lol: Not to mention MUCH cheaper!

What can I do with the leftover brisket? I know I can just freeze it for subsequent Sundays, but I'd much prefer to simplify my meal planning with it. We are trying to eat healthier, so that matters as well.

How many times a week can we eat it without getting tired of it? Ideas from googling are gyros, tacos, fajitas, soup, beans, reubens, enchiladas, bbq, and french dips.

Would you list a sample meal plan using brisket? We also eat chicken and other things throughout the week, so that won't be ALL that is on the menu.

I like to throw it in the crockpot with some BBQ sauce, cook it beyond recognition, then shred it up good and serve it on hamburger buns. Preferably with some nice crispy chips on the side. (I like cole slaw, which also makes a good side for a BBQ sandwich, but nobody else in the house will eat it, and when I make it they all look at me like I'm trying to poison them.)

Shredded BBQ beef sandwiches! I always buy a brisket to make these. Shred the cooked meat and mix it with your favorite BBQ sauce. I buy a large brisket, cook it in water and some spices in a crockpot, make the shredded beef (shred it and mix with BBQ sauce), then freeze it in meal sized portions for future sandwiches. You could use all the leftover meat for this and have several meals ready for future use.

How many times a week can we eat it without getting tired of it? Ideas from googling are gyros, tacos, fajitas, soup, beans, reubens, enchiladas, bbq, and french dips.

You have a great start there! For variety, you may try adding it to breakfast--homemade hash with brisket, big chunks of potatoes, onions, and hot peppers (if you like it spicy). Mmmm! This thread is making me hungry!:D