Menu

Has anyone purchased brstmilk?

Sorry, I have to agree with all the naysayers. As a mom who has breastfed all 5 of my girls, I understand wanting to feed breastmilk. As a nurse, the risk factor of buying someone else's breastmilk that has not been screened is just too great. If you break it down you are relying a lot on this one person to: not drink, not do drugs, have any communicable diseases, properly store the milk, properly clean the pump etc. Also, my big question would be: Why isn't SHE using it for HER child? And then there is: How old is the milk? Frozen milk can last a very long time. But, has it ever been defrosted? Has her house ever lost power and thus the milk has defrosted and refrozen? Again, why is she selling milk that she could be mixing in baby food? If her child is too old for the breastmilk, then that milk is probably too old for others to use as well. Formula is a safer alternative if you are unable to increase your supply via the methods that others have mentioned.

Just had to add my thoughts.

LMK

Lots of good thoughts there that I hadn't even considered. Why IS she selling breast milk instead of using it. Seems really odd to me. The only scenario that makes physical sense is if she had an infant and then it died so she still has plenty of fresh milk. But I can't imagine many mothers in that predicament that wish to continue to pump milk for someone else, and certainly not for mercenary purposes! I suppose there could be such a scenario but I can't imagine it now.

That's not accurate numbers. A TSH of 0 is huge sign of hyperthyroidism. T3 and T4 can still be normal or high. .5 is the bottom acceptable number for TSH and most do better with it higher than that. The new high of the range is 3.5 I think (it was 5 is I'm remembering correctly) but many doctors will allow higher before considering hypothyroidism. I have a hefty case of autoimmune hyperthyroidism with TSH level of .02 and t3/t4... one was high and one was normal. .02 was low enough I was hospitalized for heart problems and all sorts of issues including hair loss, insomnia, etc b/c it allows my thyroid levels to get too high and mess me up.

Kep in mind that breastmilk is produced with the age/needs of the babies in mind, so you'l want to get milk that was pumped when her baby was about the same age as yours. Newborn babies have different needs than a 4month old, for example, when it comes to fats, sugars, proteins, etc and the levels and ratios within the milk change with the age of the baby.

I disagree with you that a 0 TSH necessarily means hyperthyroidism. Some hypo patients do very well in the .5-0 range, and feel much better there.

Now for a different person who normally has a TSH in the higher range, then 0 may indeed be a problem.

Lots of good thoughts there that I hadn't even considered. Why IS she selling breast milk instead of using it.

Maybe she's had an over active supply. Maybe she was an amazing pumper who stored up a whole bunch "just in case" and is now done. Maybe she knows there's a market for it and is continuing to pump to make ends meet for her family. Free market and all that ;)

Lots of good thoughts there that I hadn't even considered. Why IS she selling breast milk instead of using it. Seems really odd to me. The only scenario that makes physical sense is if she had an infant and then it died so she still has plenty of fresh milk. But I can't imagine many mothers in that predicament that wish to continue to pump milk for someone else, and certainly not for mercenary purposes! I suppose there could be such a scenario but I can't imagine it now.

Some mothers pump while they work and find they make more than they need. Then their child outgrows the need to nurse and they have a freezer full from when they pumped round the clock and stocked the freezer as much as they can.

Hmmm...just had another thought. If this is milk from later on in her lactation, the balance of fore and hind milk might not be optimal for younger (extra younger by due date) babies.

If they are having trouble digesting formula too that puts you in a tough spot. :grouphug: I hope you can find a good solution.

Some mothers pump while they work and find they make more than they need. Then their child outgrows the need to nurse and they have a freezer full from when they pumped round the clock and stocked the freezer as much as they can.

But it's old milk by then. Not milk for exactly the age the child happens to be.

Well, I've never sold milk but I have dealt with a massive over supply. Sometimes there is just no way that your baby can use everything you pump!

Have you checked with Eats on Feets on facebook? There are lots of people donating for free. I donated milk, but we had an organization that provided blood testing for donors for free, to screen for HIV, Hepatitis, and the leukemia viruses 1 and 2. That made it a lot safer.

Sorry, I have to agree with all the naysayers. As a mom who has breastfed all 5 of my girls, I understand wanting to feed breastmilk. As a nurse, the risk factor of buying someone else's breastmilk that has not been screened is just too great. If you break it down you are relying a lot on this one person to: not drink, not do drugs, have any communicable diseases, properly store the milk, properly clean the pump etc. Also, my big question would be: Why isn't SHE using it for HER child? And then there is: How old is the milk? Frozen milk can last a very long time. But, has it ever been defrosted? Has her house ever lost power and thus the milk has defrosted and refrozen? Again, why is she selling milk that she could be mixing in baby food? If her child is too old for the breastmilk, then that milk is probably too old for others to use as well. Formula is a safer alternative if you are unable to increase your supply via the methods that others have mentioned.

Just had to add my thoughts.

LMK

Because she wants to help other mothers?? I donated milk before, and will do so again. http://www.getpumped.org has more info.