Menu

My dog stinks and it's too cold to give him a bath.

Warm weather or cold, my wife just strips down and takes ours in the shower with her. He's a 10-month old 65 pound Border Collie puppy. That probably wouldn't work as well if we didn't have a detachable shower head, and we have to use lots of towels to clean up, but it's far better than using dry shampoos.

This is exactly what I was thinking too. No matter how much dry shampoo you use, it won't remove all of whatever is causing the odor - he needs a bath. It's so much easier to wash them in the shower. It would be much harder without a handheld, but a small plastic container could help with the rinsing. I'd contain him to the bath for a good while after the shower so you can get him towel dried and even use a hair dryer. If you can raise the temperature in the bathroom ahead of time - with an electric heater - then it will be more comfortable for him after the shower. If you don't have doggie shampoo, baby shampoo would work.

Good luck!

Our plumbing is pretty delicate, so we couldn't use the shower in our house. I've been surprised to find that some of the local doggy daycare places offer very inexpensive "do it yourself" stalls where you can wash your dog in their facility. I'd never have expected it (or even so many doggy daycares), because we aren't a particular built-up area, but we have a few in our small town. Maybe you do too?

I take our Labradoodle to a local groomer who has all the facilities to bath and dry her inside. It's not expensive, and definitely worth it, I can't stand an overpowering dog smell, and it's also nice to be able to delegate at least one task to someone else :001_smile:.

Best wishes

Cassy

Sounds like there's no way around it: you need to wash off whatever doggie has been rolling in...

Is this an outdoor-only dog? If that's the problem... I have NO IDEA what you could do. Probably just stay away from him for a while? :001_smile:

We wash our indoor dog in the tub all the time.

Warm weather or cold, my wife just strips down and takes ours in the shower with her. He's a 10-month old 65 pound Border Collie puppy. That probably wouldn't work as well if we didn't have a detachable shower head, and we have to use lots of towels to clean up, but it's far better than using dry shampoos.

I've been told that some dog hair floats in septic systems, causing major damage.

I've been surprised to find that some of the local doggy daycare places offer very inexpensive "do it yourself" stalls where you can wash your dog in their facility.

I take my long-haired Berner to a local place to "do it myself" also. They have a very convenient facility and provide the shampoo and towels for $15. It would probably cost me $15 just for the shampoo. :glare: