Menu

Has anyone used ACS ChemCom with an accelerated learner?

Dmmetler

My father (a University chemistry professor) has suggested that the ACS Chemistry in the Community course/textbook would be a good thing to go through with DD now (since she wants to do Chemistry next) since it's more application-based and not as mathematical as a traditional high school course, and he says the labs really don't require much as far as lab equipment and would be pretty doable at home. (Unfortunately, he lives about a 12 hour drive away-so we can't just access Granddad and his lab!)

I remember him bringing home the 1st edition when I was in high school, and really enjoying reading the book, because it was SO much more interesting than the traditional chemistry class I was stuck taking.

It looks like the 4th edition is available on Amazon very inexpensively, which makes it attractive as well.

Anyone done this at home? Is it really as accessible to a homeschooler as he thinks it is?

Well, he is right. Chemistry in the community is a wonderful book. I own it and love it. But I have not yet taught it. I bought it for my 4th grader, and the experimental equipment required was too great a hurtle for me then. But now that my son will be doing chemistry in 7th grade next year, I am considering it again. This time around I have the expectation of spending $200 on lab equipment. :001_smile:

What I like about it is the connection to real world problems. You are not learning chemistry in a box. The textbook gives you a real issue that you learn about and then teaches you the chemistry you need to know in order to answer the question. Obviously, the textbook does not go in a traditional order. So one chapter is all about investigating the cause of the fish kill. Another is about designing the best coin. Another is about water softening. Very cleverly done.

Equipment needed: I wish they had an equipment list: There are 7 units. For the first unit there are 5 experiments. Skimming through these first 5 you need a ring stand, beaker, metal clmp, rubber tube, glass funnel and clay triangle,charcoal, a hotplate, ethanol, lamp oil, test tubes, calgaon, sodium carbonate, ivory liquid hand soap. Some of this is pretty standard stuff, so I am assuming that the later labs will overlap with some of this equipment. If you need me to look at the other 6 units, I am willing to make an equipment list for you.

Hope this helps.

Ruth in NZ

Ruth, are these the required books?

Hardcover Text

Activities

dmmetler, thanks for mentioning it!

ETA: There's also a fifth edition?

I own the 4th edition. The hardcover text is the one I bought for $3 (and it was brand new!). I did not buy the activities book that you have linked to.

I also did not buy any teacher's manual. Looking at it now, I think a teacher's manual would be useful. Here is a random lab to see how the book works. For the chapter on causes of the fish kill, after learning about solubility of solids, solubility curves, solution concentration, dissolving ionic compounds, they discuss inappropriate heavy metals concentrations, ph levels, and molecular substance concentrations in rivers. Next is the lab (you will soon see why a teachers manual would help, I have cut out quite a bit of the text):

Introduction

The Riverwood new reported earlier that Dr. Brooke believes that a substance dissolved int he snake river is one likely fish kill cause. She based her judgement on her chemical knowledge and experiences with water and other substances. She also has a general idea about which contaminating solutes she can initially rule out: those that cannot dissolve appreciably in water....

In this lab you will first investigate the solubilities of various molecular and ionic solutes in water, these solubility data along with toxicity data will help you rule out some solutes as likely causes of the fish kill. You will then test other solvents and examine the solubility data for any general patterns.

Part 1 designing a procedure

(snip)

1) what particular observations will allow you to judge how well each solute dissolves in the polar solvent water?....

2) Which variables will need to be controlled? why?

3) How should the solute and solvent be mixed - all at once or a little at a time? why?

Part 2. investigation

use your approved procedure to investigate the solubility in water of the listed substances. Record the data in your table.

Part 3 Investigating solubility in ethanol and lamp oil

It is clear that the task of determining what my have caused the fish kill can be simplified somewhat by focusing efforts on substances that will dissolve appreciable in water. However, in dealing with other solubility based problems, chemists sometimes find it helpful to use solvents other than water - ethanol and lamp oil serve that role in the activity. You will investigate the solubility of some or all of the solutes from part 2 in ethanol and lamp oil. You should also test the solubility of water in ethanol and in lamp oil. (snip)

Can you use the same procedure that you designed for part 2? if not, what parts of the procedure should be revised.

(snip)

Questions

Part 2

1)according to your data, which tested solutes are least likely to be dissolved in the snake river and why.

2) compare your data with those of the rest of the class. Are there any differences? if so , how can those differences be explained?

part 3

3) how does the behavior of ethanol as a solvent compare with that of water....

4) were any of your solubility observations unexpected. if so , explain what you expected, why it was expected, and how your expectations compare with what you actually observed.

5) based on your data, what general pattern of solubility behaviour can you summarize and describe??

Then there are 4 more questions on predictions, decisions, solvent/solubility of water, and how like dissolves like.

Ok, my hand is falling off.

Ruth

• 3 years later...

We're doing it now. I found the teacher's edition at McKay's books, which sealed the deal. In looking through the TE, I was able to match a lot of the non-kitchen chemicals needed with a Thane and Kosmos kit, so that has worked well. I do think it would be better in a group, but it's a good fit for her. She's also doing Uzinggo Chem, LOF Chem, and some bio chem stuff as well.

TK 3000, but few of the actual experiments. What I discovered was that pretty much everything I needed was in the set. Most of it is in the 1000, but we've used some for bio as well, so it seemed worth it to get the bigger set. It's a nice selection of chemicals for a reasonable price. The only thing I don't like aboutT&K is that some of the disposal instructions really aren't great-we're fortunate in that unless it can't be taken over state lines, we can take products to the university if needed.

Thanks. :001_smile:  I've been wavering between the C2000 or C3000 for DS/11yo to use next year. My highschoolers will be doing Spectrum, so we'll have those supplies too.

I'm glad this thread was bumped. My searches to find something like Bloomfield's How Things Works for chem was going nowhere.

TK 3000, but few of the actual experiments. What I discovered was that pretty much everything I needed was in the set. Most of it is in the 1000, but we've used some for bio as well, so it seemed worth it to get the bigger set. It's a nice selection of chemicals for a reasonable price. The only thing I don't like aboutT&K is that some of the disposal instructions really aren't great-we're fortunate in that unless it can't be taken over state lines, we can take products to the university if needed.

We've enjoyed this set too. I didn't use it as directed either, but outsourced it to a physicist who took the basic concepts & supplies and taught them to ds.

We've enjoyed this set too. I didn't use it as directed either, but outsourced it to a physicist who took the basic concepts & supplies and taught them to ds.

The kids have a Spanish tutor & a music teacher, but I can't find them a physicist! 

Hehe, no really, what an incredible resource! I'm just jelly!

Are the consumable supplies enough for two kids or my boys would just have to share?

ETA:

I guess they would have to share.

We're doing it now. I found the teacher's edition at McKay's books, which sealed the deal. In looking through the TE, I was able to match a lot of the non-kitchen chemicals needed with a Thane and Kosmos kit, so that has worked well. I do think it would be better in a group, but it's a good fit for her. She's also doing Uzinggo Chem, LOF Chem, and some bio chem stuff as well.

Does LOF Chem have any experiments? If so, Is there a list of supplies needed for them?

Ruth, are these the required books?

Hardcover Text

Activities

dmmetler, thanks for mentioning it!

ETA: There's also a fifth edition?

There seem to be a number of the TE's available for this edition right now.

Also, as an aside, is there a kit/ lab book or other resource or similar anyone can recommend for a same level of biology? Trying to go hands on/ inquiry based.

ETA, I found this: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/biology-inquiries-martin-shields/1112227810?ean=9780787976521

but all I can see at the beginning are lots of group activities.

No, not explicitly-LOF Chem is like LOF physics, where Fred is doing the stuff, and then you answer questions/do the math. I think you could work through something like the T&K kit along side, and probably make it work, but it's more a supplement for a kid who loves Fred around here.

Thank you for resurrecting this thread! I think this book looks great! Do you suppose the edition matters??

Yes. I guess there is more "real" chemistry in the fourth edition compared with the third. I have the fifth out of the library, but I would assume it has as much chemistry as the fourth.

Of course all of the cheap teacher's editions have disappeared. Who knew WTM forums had so much buying power?