Menu

Help me outsource 6th grade math

journey00

I'm going to be real honest, so please don't flame me....

My 6th grade dd is doing Time4learning Math but finds it too cartoonish. She was doing Teaching Textbooks 6 but found that she wasn't learning anything. Let me add, that she's a very slow worker and she's not scoring well with T4L and scored ok with TT. She LOVES to read & would be happy reading all day.

Tried CLE but I don't have time to grade it or go over it with her. I work full-time from my home (gotta pay the bills) and I HS her 7 and 6y/o siblings. Because of their ages, I have to spend most of my time one-one with them, then it is time to work. I need my 6th grader to be more independent, which she is on everything else except math.

I need to outsource her Math where someone else does the grading & the teaching. She's honest and can grade it herself but if she gets anything wrong I can't help her (did I mention that I'm not Math confident?).

Cost is really not an issue, if I can find a good online fit. We live in the country, outside a small rural town so finding and driving to a homeschool Coop group or a tutor is out of the question.

Anybody have any suggestions or solutions? Please?

Edited by journey00
more explanation

Veritas Press offers online math courses. You don't have to sign up for their Scholar's Academy to join. However, I think they only offer the classes starting with Algebra. Could you try the Saxon Dive CDs this year, and enroll in an online class next year? We're using MUS and it's working very well in terms of taking me out of the loop. A Beka and BJU also offer CD courses for Math, but I don't know if they start in 6th grade or 7th grade.

Another option is to look into programs in other states. Some of them will allow you to enroll in their programs.

HTH!

Dorinda

Would it be possible for her grade it herself and to get help from CLE directly when she gets something specific wrong? And then maybe add Khan academy for a detailed explination?

Just a thought...

:001_huh: You can get help from CLE directly? How much help?

I will take a look at Khan Academy, I've heard of them but have never looked into it.

:001_huh: You can get help from CLE directly? How much help?

I will take a look at Khan Academy, I've heard of them but have never looked into it.

I have called them a couple of times to ask about a specific problem. They pull the book off the shelf and are very helpful in trying to answer my question. Khan academy is a free online resource. We use it all the time, even for non-math "stuff".

Good luck!

Dd11 is using Systematic Mathematics and it is very independent. It comes on CDs and there is a short video to watch for every lesson and then a worksheet. It comes with the answer keys so she could grade it herself. Also, I have not used it but I know Switched on Schoolhouse is on video and does the grading for you.

I'm going to be honest here. I don't think you can outsource this problem to a typical online course. Even though someone else will be doing the grading, your daughter will not get the interactive instruction that is critical for helping a struggling student understand.

That said, you might be able to find a tutor that will Skype with your daughter. I've heard good things about this guy: http://mathperfect.net/default.aspx

Edited by EKS

I'm going to be honest here. I don't think you can outsource this problem to a typical online course. Even though someone else will be doing the grading, your daughter will not get the interactive instruction that is critical for helping a struggling student understand.

That said, you might be able to find a tutor that will Skype with your daughter. I've heard good things about this guy: http://mathperfect.net/default.aspx

:iagree:I know I offered advice about making CLE a bit more independant but I think that this is very true. Can she be independant in all the other subjects? Math is just one that a child should not be left to on their own, especially if they struggle.:tongue_smilie:

It will just come back to haunt you later.

Skyping with a tutor? Hmm....I will check that out.

Thanks. There has to be a way to successfully outsource it, I know I can't be the first and last person with this problem lol.

I'm going to also check out Life of Fred since it has an unschool bent to it...I think maybe I should back off the math before she hates it to the point of no return...Sigh.

Thank you to all! I appreciate you taking the time to help me.

I'm going to also check out Life of Fred since it has an unschool bent to it.

Just a caution, Life of Fred, at least the levels that I've used (Fractions, Decimals, and the Prealgebras) does not have any systematic math instruction in it.

Guest JDOBrien81

Have you looked into the Life of Fred books? I stumbled across them a couple weeks ago and ordered the first in the elementary series to try out. My nine year old seems to love it! I started it with her this week and had to go ahead and order the next two because we will be done with the first one very soon (granted it is below her level - but she loves the character and she is getting some good review along with other tidbits of knowledge). I have been reading the chapters aloud to her because I find them funny and entertaining to read! I have not tried the upper levels yet as I only have a K and 3rd grader, but they are supposed to be self-teaching. I think we may have found our core math curriculum and will supplement extra problems with Khan Academy online. You can read about and order the books here:

http://lifeoffredmath.com/

and here http://www.ztwistbooks.com (this site has samples you can download)

Dd11 is using Systematic Mathematics and it is very independent. It comes on CDs and there is a short video to watch for every lesson and then a worksheet. It comes with the answer keys so she could grade it herself. Also, I have not used it but I know Switched on Schoolhouse is on video and does the grading for you.

I was just checking out the program and it looks like it is sold in "levels" is this equivalent to grades? So, if my son is in the 7th grade he would require level 7? I watched the sample video and like what I see.

Edited by bjrieb

I'm glad you are looking for person-options now rather than just turning her over to a computer or DVD-teacher.

LOF might be a good math for her to do "on her own." Lots of reading. She self-checks. Might put the "fun" back in math.

She should still, IMO, have a core math program for everyday.

Is there a college nearby? Sometimes there are college (math/science majors) who will tutor for lower $$ than online sources. (And, you wouldn't have to switch math programs necessarily.)

I was just checking out the program and it looks like it is sold in "levels" is this equivalent to grades? So, if my son is in the 7th grade he would require level 7? I watched the sample video and like what I see.

No not at all. He will tell you that they are just levels and not grade specific. Level 6 can be used for anywhere from 6th - 8th grade depending on where your child's level is. If you look through all the levels you will see level 8 is equal to Algebra 1 and Geometry and level 9 is equal to Algebra II. So with dd11 she is on level 6 but it will take her a little over a year so if she continues on the pace she would have Algebra II finished by the end of 9th grade. If we need to slow it down to review or strengthen her ability in a few concept we have plenty of time.

No not at all. He will tell you that they are just levels and not grade specific. Level 6 can be used for anywhere from 6th - 8th grade depending on where your child's level is. If you look through all the levels you will see level 8 is equal to Algebra 1 and Geometry and level 9 is equal to Algebra II. So with dd11 she is on level 6 but it will take her a little over a year so if she continues on the pace she would have Algebra II finished by the end of 9th grade. If we need to slow it down to review or strengthen her ability in a few concept we have plenty of time.

Thank you for the information. I see now that he mentions the grades for the levels. I should have seen that. I think I'm on a information overload today. I'm in a rush to get curriculum for my 7th grader that I just pulled out of school to homeschool. There is just so much information to go through on the web and not much time for me to get it in order. I appreciate your help! Now if I could come up with some good English and Science that would be on the order of this program I will be more than happy! Any suggestions?

Thank you for the information. I see now that he mentions the grades for the levels. I should have seen that. I think I'm on a information overload today. I'm in a rush to get curriculum for my 7th grader that I just pulled out of school to homeschool. There is just so much information to go through on the web and not much time for me to get it in order. I appreciate your help! Now if I could come up with some good English and Science that would be on the order of this program I will be more than happy! Any suggestions?

Sadly no. These (especially science) are the areas we struggle in. Dd11 used Winston Grammar this year. It is a short program but definitely not independent. I have heard really good things about CLE Language Arts and it is pretty independent at this level. There is also Painless Grammar that he could do on his own but I don't know how complete it is. We really have done more project based science. It is pretty independent for dd11. She picks a topic she wants to learn more about and then we just go with it. She recently did one on the circulatory system and that led to an interest in malaria. She made her own powerpoint presentation on all she learned. She does all the research and work on her own and comes up with her own projects. I just let her bounce ideas off of me. Sometimes a topic fizzles out quickly, maybe a week or less, and sometimes it just keeps leading to something else. However, I am at a crossroads for her science next year. I know she loves what she is doing and learns a ton I just feel insecure sometimes at this stage in the game not using an actual curriculum. I have hear good things about Sonlight's science it comes with DVD of the experiments I think. I also just stumbled on a website called Simple Homeschool that has alot online and is very cheap. Good luck to you!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I had a long talk with dd & told her that sometimes there are things in life we must do even if we don't like to do it & that's life. And I'm not going to buy anymore curriculum & continue jumping programs. And she will go back to her Teaching Textbooks & will figure it out & do her very best to figure it out and that's that! She said ok and has done very well & has only come to me once with a problem. Thank you everyone!

Good to hear. Sometimes mother knows best!

Lol! Thanks! BTW, she's still doing great with TT. We added the free trial of ALEKS Math online and she really likes it. If that continues to go well then we will use it to supplement the TT but we will not be jumping from program to program every 3 wks.

Thanks everyone!!

• 4 months later...
I'm going to be real honest, so please don't flame me....

My 6th grade dd is doing Time4learning Math but finds it too cartoonish. She was doing Teaching Textbooks 6 but found that she wasn't learning anything. Let me add, that she's a very slow worker and she's not scoring well with T4L and scored ok with TT. She LOVES to read & would be happy reading all day.

Tried CLE but I don't have time to grade it or go over it with her. I work full-time from my home (gotta pay the bills) and I HS her 7 and 6y/o siblings. Because of their ages, I have to spend most of my time one-one with them, then it is time to work. I need my 6th grader to be more independent, which she is on everything else except math.

I need to outsource her Math where someone else does the grading & the teaching. She's honest and can grade it herself but if she gets anything wrong I can't help her (did I mention that I'm not Math confident?).

Cost is really not an issue, if I can find a good online fit. We live in the country, outside a small rural town so finding and driving to a homeschool Coop group or a tutor is out of the question.

Anybody have any suggestions or solutions? Please?

We love ALEKS, but most likely it is similar to what you are doing with TFL. The nice thing with ALEKS its completely student led.

I agree with virtual schooling if you can find a good fit. We have used Calvert, K12 and have finally found a very rural virtual program in our state that provides a stipend only and you select ALL of the curriculum on your own.

Calvert explains well in their virtual presentations, math is mostly workbook work with assessments. The true program contains a good number of manipulative in the lower elementary. - I would caution as we did look at a virtual program here again, and since our last homeschooling experience they had changed and weren't using "full" Calvert anymore. I love the program, but prefer to the full deal to the watered down program that was available here.

K12 I was unimpressed with for math. I enjoy their history a lot...

We also, looked at Lincoln Interactive which uses blackboard to administrate their program. I think it would be great for a highschooler or TRUE middle school aged who had NO tendencies towards ADHD, it didn't seem a good choice for us.