Menu

Clogged kitchen sinks

Sorry :( Can you put a bucket underneath and undo the bottom part of the pipe? That's how I've seen them unplugged before. Our plumber told us never to use those Drano things (we have in the past). Apparently it does something bad, though I can't for the life of me recall what. Not to mention the chemicals that come back up into the room. I figure if he's telling us not to use them, it's probably good advice.

Standing water in both sinks.

I argued with DH about the Draino as I remember his BIL (a septic tank man) to never use it. DH insisted. So I got it to prove it was not a solution. I was right. :glare:

One of my house guests that left yesterday, dumped a *huge* container of mashed potatoes in it. Then yesterday afternoon a *huge* bowl of left over pasta was shoved in it. The disposal will run and the water will drain from that sink, but the other sink fills all the way up. Then when I turn the disposal off the empty sink slowly fills with water coming back out of the disposal drain.

Is there currently standing water in the sink or can it drain down? If it drains slowly, let it. Then dump a box of baking soda down into it and chase it with some vinegar. That worked for the most stubborn clog I ever had.

Here are some other ideas.

Okay, read the site. I can't do the baking soda because both sinks are filled with water. I can't use washing soda because I already dumped Draino in it.

I guess I'm going to open the pipe. Do I need to turn off water some where?

I've opened all the pipes.....wearing gloves after my hands starting stinging. You'd think I'd thought of that first.

Anyway, the clog is right at the bottom of the main pipe that leads down under the house. I guess I have to get a snake?

Stupid Draino. I wish I had just refused, but no....DH just knew it would work. :mad: He never learns that I am always right. :glare:

I'm so close to calling a plumber. ARG.

I've opened all the pipes.....wearing gloves after my hands starting stinging. You'd think I'd thought of that first.

Anyway, the clog is right at the bottom of the main pipe that leads down under the house. I guess I have to get a snake?

Stupid Draino. I wish I had just refused, but no....DH just knew it would work. :mad: He never learns that I am always right. :glare:

I'm so close to calling a plumber. ARG.

I'd call a plumber. Or find a local handy-man. Handyman in the neighborhood would probably be cheaper. Do you have a neighbor you could ask for a recommendation?

Guest lahmeh

I never in a million years thought I'd find something that actually worked but I did! It's called "Instant Power". I used the "hair and grease" (they have several different ones) in my bathroom AND kitchen and WOW :hurray::party:

I bought it at my local hardware store. I will never use anything else!!

Life is darn near impossible without a functioning kitchen sick. :glare:

BTW, extra turbo strength Draino, which dh said to get, doesn't work.

Not the best way to start the first day back doing school.

Plunger didn't work either.

Never use Draino, says my plumber of 20 years. It is dangerous to you and to the plumber, if it backs up.

You need a snake. You can get one at Lowe's or someplace for $30.

ETA: I just saw that you did snake it and it did work. Good.

It's not draining again.

You have a clog further down the line, it seems. Is anything else not draining or just the kitchen sink. When I had a problem, everything on that "branch" - washer and sink - wouldn't drain without backing up. It turned out to be some old wire twisted into a pretzel shape. Took drain guy awhile to find!

You need to call a good drain guy. Not the big Roto-rooter companies, unless that is all you have. Check your local Angie's List, if you have it.

You have a clog further down the line, it seems. Is anything else not draining or just the kitchen sink. When I had a problem, everything on that "branch" - washer and sink - wouldn't drain without backing up. It turned out to be some old wire twisted into a pretzel shape. Took drain guy awhile to find!

You need to call a good drain guy. Not the big Roto-rooter companies, unless that is all you have. Check your local Angie's List, if you have it.

The dishwasher hasn't worked in three years. I haven't tried using the washing machine. All other sinks in the house work.

I did find a small knife when I took the pipes apart, but that doesn't seem to have been the problem.

You have to pay to use Angie's List? Geesh

Edited by Kleine Hexe

Oh my I've had this issue with my disposal before, in fact I will no longer put any rice, pasta, or potatoes down the thing anymore. My hubby has had to go under the house and cut apart pipes to find the clog...that stuff is like cement in the pipes. Sometimes it is in the pipe between the disposal and the drain of you have a double sink but if not its probably down the line somewhere. Hope you get it fixed soon!

We had a plumber tell us to never put veggie scraps, tater peels, etc. or anything fibrous down the garbage disposal, as it simply was putting money in the plumber's pockets.

Oh - just read the posts above - never thought of rice/pasta/taters themselves being a clogger. Will avoid those going down the drain too, now.

We had a plumber tell us to never put veggie scraps, tater peels, etc. or anything fibrous down the garbage disposal, as it simply was putting money in the plumber's pockets.

Oh - just read the posts above - never thought of rice/pasta/taters themselves being a clogger. Will avoid those going down the drain too, now.

I've unplugged my disposal. All food is now going to either the dog or compost.

Sorry I wasn't about - I hope you used Google.

As for the garden hose, Home Depot/Lowes makes a funny attachment for it that swells when you turn the water on inside the cleanout drain that will cause pressure and push/break any debris in the drain.

However, do not use it unless the clog is beyond the sink/toilet/bathtub. Well, not unless youw ant to clean the inside of the house too. :)

Glad you got it fixed! When I was young living on my own with some roommates I put a large bowl of spaghetti down the disposal. What did I know? I never had a garbage disposal before that house. It resulted in a major clog. Never, ever, ever put pasta down a disposal!

I'm glad you fixed it. Like the pps, I've been told to only use the garbage disposal for very small plate scrapings. The plumber specifically mentioned the dangers of onion skins, any veggie peelings, egg shells, and all starchy foods. You may already know all that- I saw it was a guest who did it at your house. :glare:

:party: You're a super woman!

I'd stay away from Drano too. That stuff just add another layer of drama.

Success!

I snaked it again. Then stuck the garden hose in a bit and turned it on full blast while DH plugged the opening with his hands so the water had to go down the pipe. That seemed to knock out the clog. :party: