Menu

Should I put together US History OR buy SL Core D?

Sahamamama

I'm looking ahead to our next school year (start date = July 2012). The girls will be in 2nd (oldest) and K (twins). They are all advanced readers and we all enjoy large amounts of read aloud time. So...

I keep coming back to Sonlight Core D: Introduction to American History (Year 1 of 2). We want to study US history for the next two years, and this looks so tempting. Nothing to plan, no lists to construct, just one major purchase, and the box shows up at the door.

But then I'm not sure that it's the best value for our investment, IF we don't use it "as is" -- and I don't think we need a full-fledged history package. We have enough to cover with our 3Rs, Bible, and Literature next year. I don't think getting a SL Core is the way to keep history "light." ;)

I love the idea of simply reading lots and lots of books. I love most of the books in the Core (a few not so much). We do not need any workbooks or paper crafts (have some already). I don't even think we need the IG -- I don't want writing assignments (have those), questions to answer (can figure those out myself), or much of anything else. I don't even need a check-off chart, LOL, although I LOVE check-off charts (my own).

Should I do buckle down and the work to make my own book list, then order that (up to budget limits), put them on a shelf and read through in chronological order?

Or is SL Core D so fabulous that it's not to be missed?

:bigear: Somebody tip me over, either way is fine.

You could buy my core! It was called Core 3 when I bought it (2007). There may be some new titles used in this core now, and I know there are 2 consumables you'd have to get, but I have all the history, read-alouds and readers we used for sale.

Send me a PM if you're interested in it. :)

I think you should buy Angie's Core D. :D

The two consumables are totally skip-worthy, in my opinion. They're the least and worst of the core. But the rest of the books are too good to miss.

Even though I've switched the whole family to TOG I'll still have my youngest do SL's U.S. History cores. I just love them! My other three boys thought those were the best SL cores.

:iagree: LOL, but only because I'm diving back in to SL with my younger ones.

I had used it years ago with my now 13 year old. We've tried many, many, many different things. Since SL was the first Literature based HS curriculum we tried, I just got used to the way they have it scheduled and I can't seem to get that way out of my thinking....a read aloud for mom, readers for the student, and tons of history books to read a little from each day. Lots of snuggle time on the couch and wonderful discussions about the books. :D

I vote to make your own book list. I did and I havn't been sorry.

This is where I was when I decided to work it out myself:

I knew that I wouldn't follow the SL schedule. I knew that I didn't want to use The Landmark History of the American People as my spine. I knew that most of the SL 3/4 books that we really loved were still on my shelf from when my big boys did SL. Based on all of this, there wasn't any reason to use SL.

If you are in this place, why bother with SL. OTOH, if Angie will give you a good deal on hers, why not get it and use it however you choose.

HTH-

Mandy

Guesthollow has American History broken into 2 years and it is free. I have SL D and planned on using it this year but ended up printing out Guesthollow and we use it instead. We don't do all the hands-on extra stuff but the reading is perfect. Many books are the same as SL.

I just posted this in someone else's history thread re core D and our experience with it:

We did SL D and then are doing our own thing for the 2nd half (with lots of SL resources). Their spine, Landmark, gets the job done but it is far from the most engaging book out there, and I personally don't feel it is great for a kid under 3rd grade level, which is where they use it. I used it with a 3rd grader who is typically very advanced, and he did okay. His younger brother detested it and could really not glean anything from it. So just be aware of that. Some of the other core D choices would be a little tough for under 2nd/3rd grade level, Witch of Blackbird Pond coming to mind easily. Others, like Justin Morgan Had a Horse, pretty much all mine down to pre-K level did enjoy.

The Story of the USA IMHO don't offer much in content to add to the core, but they make good reading comprehension practice. You might want to see samples of those before purchasing if you decide to go with D.

Thanks so much for the replies. I'm probably going to go with putting together our own booklist on Amazon and/or Rainbow Resource, to purchase a bit at a time. I realize now there is enough of SL that we don't need/doesn't fit our age range, so I'm happy to put in the time to make our own course. From what I see of SL, I think it's a great program, though, just probably not what we need next year.

Then again... that "love to learn" guarantee has me thinking.... :willy_nilly:

Personally, I'd go with the used Core being offered up if the price was right. You can't really go wrong there if the price is right. After all if nothing else it gives you a great idea for books.

If your children were a wee bit older, all though your 2nd grader would probably get lots of out of it, I'd suggest HSITW Time Traveler packs :D

Honestly, with kids your ages, I would not do Sonlight. A friend of mine gave me her old Amer. history core (I think it was the next one, though, not the one called D now) when my youngest kids were in K and 2nd. It was too advanced for them. Aside from that, I didn't like Landmark and wasn't overly impressed with Story of USA. I did used some of the other books from Sonlight, but in the end, I put together my own thing, squeezing American history and geography into one year. I also got ideas from MFW and Guest Hollow. My main spines were A Child's Story of America and American Pioneers and Patriots. I got craft and recipe ideas from Colonial Kids. We used loads of If You Were There... books and books by Jean Fritz, and it all came together really nicely.

So my vote is do your own thing. :001_smile:

*Whispering* I totally agree.

The two consumables are totally skip-worthy, in my opinion. They're the least and worst of the core. But the rest of the books are too good to miss.

:iagree::iagree:

Yeah, dd (16) isn't crazy about my selling cores 3 and 4 (now called D and E). She said she went down and picked one up to read the other day and was sad that they won't be there. Warm, fuzzy memories, apparently not just for me. :)

With children younger than 3rd I'd really take a look at MFW "Adventures" for American History. My 3rd and 4th graders struggled with the Landmark Spine. Some of the reading selections and read alouds are tough and might not hold their interest even though they are advanced readers.

I am doing Sonlight Core D right now with my 11y/o twins. Sure, they could have done this a year ago but not when they were in K and 2nd grades. Their are some tough books to read, comprehend and the content is tough. All that said, we absolutely love the books, and are learning a tremendous amount. My 7 y/o occasionally listens in, but he is not gleaning much from the books now. He is actually working his way through Core B. I have a good friend has done SL with her children for five years and told me you should not do the cores with children younger than SL's recomendation. I had thought about Core F when we ordered, the twins were 10 then starting fifth grade. She told me her daughter struggled through even in sixth grade and recommended waiting at least a year.

I am not trying to sound negative, but I think your children would benefit more from this Core when they are older.

You could just buy the teacher's manual for something that gives you some structure and make it easy what and when to read. I just have the TM and get the books at the library. I did buy a few of the books that you use for instruction year round but all my readers i get from the library. If they don't have it I just either skip it or find something else that'll work. I love sonlight and the way it help my kids love history through reading real life books but I don't do all of it. I'm doing American history 3 for my 5th grader because I had it at home and I pulled him from PS. The smaller books I read aloud so my younger kids and get some history and the books that are bigger I have my 10 yr old read. I just do what works for the grades I have. I love having something that keeps me on track as to what to do and the right sequence. Hope this makes sense :001_smile:

FWIW, Ariel would be in second grade by age, and I seriously considered doing SL for US history but ultimately decided against it, partially because Ariel was a little young for the core and partially because I already had quite a few books on Native Americans and SL doesn't look like it focuses much on that part of American history. Most of the books I used are from the Guesthollow and SL lists, but I found others that looked great and there were some excellent suggestions on this board. I'm actually still accumulating books, I've got up through the gold rush and battle of the Alamo, with a few resources to WWII, but nothing for the Civil War, and I've heard it was kind of a big deal. :tongue_smilie:

You can also get some ideas from Beautiful Feet, they have an early American history course for K-3, mostly using D'Aulaire books.

We are starting Core D this week. We had started a couple of the books early and the kids love them. THat said I am using Core D with a 6th and 7th graders. I don't think they would have been ready for it earlier, though that might be because we match it with Canadian history and add in time traveler cd-roms and history pockets etc.

FWIW, Ariel would be in second grade by age, and I seriously considered doing SL for US history but ultimately decided against it, partially because Ariel was a little young for the core and partially because I already had quite a few books on Native Americans and SL doesn't look like it focuses much on that part of American history. Most of the books I used are from the Guesthollow and SL lists, but I found others that looked great and there were some excellent suggestions on this board. I'm actually still accumulating books, I've got up through the gold rush and battle of the Alamo, with a few resources to WWII, but nothing for the Civil War, and I've heard it was kind of a big deal. :tongue_smilie:

You can also get some ideas from Beautiful Feet, they have an early American history course for K-3, mostly using D'Aulaire books.

It doesn't, nor does it cover much of the explorers. So I did an explorers unit first and we have now started native but are jumping into core D at the same time because we want to get on with it, but I wanted more information in those areas taught than what the core covers.

What is this guesthollow you keep mentioning? I have never heard of it before.

I'm currently using Core D+E with my 3rd and 5th graders. IMO Core D would be too advanced for K and 2nd grade. Even with my 3rd grader, who is an advanced reader, I have to explain things in greater detail. I'm a huge SL fan, but it's important to place your children correctly. I wouldn't want you guys to have a bad experience that would turn you off SL.

It doesn't, nor does it cover much of the explorers. So I did an explorers unit first and we have now started native but are jumping into core D at the same time because we want to get on with it, but I wanted more information in those areas taught than what the core covers.

What is this guesthollow you keep mentioning? I have never heard of it before.

You can find the site here. They have US history for 2nd-6th grades and human body curricula for Pre-K-high school.

Honestly, with kids your ages, I would not do Sonlight. A friend of mine gave me her old Amer. history core (I think it was the next one, though, not the one called D now) when my youngest kids were in K and 2nd. It was too advanced for them. Aside from that, I didn't like Landmark and wasn't overly impressed with Story of USA. I did used some of the other books from Sonlight, but in the end, I put together my own thing, squeezing American history and geography into one year. I also got ideas from MFW and Guest Hollow. My main spines were A Child's Story of America and American Pioneers and Patriots. I got craft and recipe ideas from Colonial Kids. We used loads of If You Were There... books and books by Jean Fritz, and it all came together really nicely.

So my vote is do your own thing. :001_smile:

This is way helpful. I'm wanting to do a very light intro to American History next year for K, before we jump into the 4-year cycle in first grade. These are some great ideas and resources. Thanks! :thumbup: