Menu

I enjoy listening to books as I knit and usually download books to my MP3 from the library site. I am enjoying the Amelia Peabody Series by Elizabeth Peters, but my library does not have these available. I thought about signing up for membership at Audible.com but would like feedback from anyone who has used this or from anyone who has used another site. Of course if someone has another way I can download these books to my MP3, please let me know.

Have you checked the Free Library of Philadelphia? You can join for $35/year (or free if you live/work in Phily or are military or are over 65)

http://www.freelibrary.org

The selection there is far greater than my local library for kindle downloads and audiobooks.

Far cheaper than audible.com, but if you do get audible.com, and if you sign up for a full year ($14.99/mo) you get $100 Amazon credit for select purchases.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=598985

I have a free Audible gift membership I can give you so you can give it a try. It's only for 3 months but at least you'd know if it was something you would like to keep. Here's a few details I received in my e-mail:

Gift Memberships include personalized Concierge Setup for the individuals receiving your gift. Our staff will be available 24/7 to help your friend or family member start listening to any of our 100,000+ titles in just minutes. Neither you nor your gift recipient will be asked to provide a credit card, and gift memberships do not include automatic billing as with many Audible memberships.

PM if you're interested. I've gone to the gift membership page and I think the only thing I would need would be your e-mail. From what I can tell, they send you a redemption code.

We love Audible here. Ds is an auditory learner and loves his audiobooks. I'm more of a visual person, so I prefer to read regular books, but I do get a few to listen to while cleaning house or other mundane jobs.

It's well worth the money, because the credits are much cheaper than just paying for the audiobooks. And I've never had any complaints. Customer service is very responsive. I did have trouble playing audiobooks on one mp3 player. Technical support was very helpful and walked me through everything. It turned out that it was a problem with the player, not Audible, but he still helped me through the process of reformatting the thing.

I have nothing substantive to add, really, just wanted to say I love the Amelia Peabody books, and I think the reader on the audiobooks does a fabulous job bringing her to life (Barbara Rosenblatt, I think?). It's nice to "meet" another fan. :)

I love Barbara Rosenblatt too! Did you know she's not even British? I couldn't believe it when I read that, lol. She's super talented, I've listened to audiobooks that weren't even that great just because she does such a good job bringing characters to life.

I have nothing substantive to add, really, just wanted to say I love the Amelia Peabody books, and I think the reader on the audiobooks does a fabulous job bringing her to life (Barbara Rosenblatt, I think?). It's nice to "meet" another fan. :)

I had to stop listening to them when I walked because I got too many stares when I burst into fits of giggles at something Emerson did. Now I listen while knitting in the privacy of my own home. Funny thing is I will name the piece I am working on after something/someone in the books,

Anyway. tanks all for the recommendations. I will check out the other sites before making a final choice....but it has to be soon, I am halfway though the book already and I have lots of knitting still left.

I love Barbara Rosenblatt too! Did you know she's not even British? I couldn't believe it when I read that, lol. She's super talented, I've listened to audiobooks that weren't even that great just because she does such a good job bringing characters to life.

Yes, the first time I heard her read a character that wasn't British it really threw me. I don't remember what the book was anymore, but it was one with both British and American characters, and she switched back and forth between accents so fluidly it boggled my mind! She is really a super-talented lady.

I had to stop listening to them when I walked because I got too many stares when I burst into fits of giggles at something Emerson did. Now I listen while knitting in the privacy of my own home. Funny thing is I will name the piece I am working on after something/someone in the books,

Anyway. tanks all for the recommendations. I will check out the other sites before making a final choice....but it has to be soon, I am halfway though the book already and I have lots of knitting still left.

Now I'm going to have to go back and listen to them again. It's been a few years. But I'm having visions of flying buttons, and parasols, and very precocious little boys...

I've been downloading a lot of free audiobooks from librivox.org. Dd has listened to about 5 books on Ancient history and numerous classics.

Another vote for librivox.org.

crazyforlatin, if you wouldn't mind, could you share the Ancient history titles?

Another vote for librivox.org.

crazyforlatin, if you wouldn't mind, could you share the Ancient history titles?

Here's a list and I think I missed a few.

Egypt:

Peeps at Many Lands

Cleopatra

Carthage:

Hannibal

Greece:

Myths and Legends

Famous Men of Greece

The Heroes or Greek Fairy Tales for Children

Iliad for Boys and Girls

Tanglewood Tales

Rome:

Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire Part 1

Famous Men of Rome

General Ancient History:

On the Shores of the Great Sea

Story of Mankind

I have an Audible.com account, have for many years and LOVE it. I mean REALLY love it. I'm lost without it. :D I went from only 1 credit to 2 credits per month so I can have a family book in the car and one on my ipod for me to listen to when I'm doing stuff {cooking, cleaning, exercising, etc..} I seriously love my Audible. :D