Menu

What do you do when your sick??

parias1126

I have already taken two weeks off and I feel so guilty since I feel like I will not be up to homeschooling tomorrow. I don't wanna be backed up into our summertime. My son fell on my back when I as sitting down and leaning over on Christmas Eve. It's been hard to even walk, sit, etc since then. Yesterday I got s horrible stuffy nose and sore throat and all the rest of me is aching, not to mention I haven't gotten the proper amount of sleep.

I will feel so guilty if I can't start back up tomorrow. I'm not good at taking time off. It took everything I had to take the whole two weeks off instead of 3 days each week which is what we would normally do.

Please help me to feel like its okay to just :chillpill:!

I school year round, so taking off when I'm sick is easy, but since you don't want to school during the summer, here's some ideas...

I looked at what your kids are doing:

DD9 - CLE Math, WWW3, R&S Spelling 3, GWG3, FLL2, Artistic Pursuits, MTM, Apologia Botany, SOTW1, Girl Scouts

DS7 - CLE Math, WWW2, GWG2, FLL2, R&S Spelling 2, MTM, Apologia Botany, SOTW1, Swimming, Boyscouts

DD9 could probably do independently CLE Math, WWW3, R&S Spelling 3, GWG3... and could she read SOTW1 and Apologia Botany to her brother? I don't know what MTM is, and I wouldn't worry about art this week.

DS7 could probably do independently (or with just a little instruction from you) CLE Math, WWW2, GWG2, R&S Spelling 2, and then listen to big sis read. You don't HAVE to have 2 grammar programs, but if you're wanting to finish FLL2, just do more than 3 lessons a week for little bit when you're feeling well. FLL2 has fairly quick lessons, so they'd be easy to combine.

Now if your DS7 isn't ready to work independently, that's fine! You can probably still catch up when you're feeling better. If there is even one subject he's willing to do on his own, let him work ahead, and then use that subject's time to catch up on the other subjects when you're feeling better.

Also, keep in mind that you don't have to do every lesson of a book, so look through the books and see if there is anything you can skip. Even b&m school teachers don't do everything in the book. ;) For example, if you don't finish the last LU in CLE Math, won't it be reviewed in the first LU of the next year anyway? And grammar... that all repeats itself from year to year, so don't feel you HAVE to do every lesson. We only did half of FLL2 and then moved on to FLL3 with no problem. Everything was taught again, as if it were a new concept. :) In spelling, see if there are any weeks that the kids already know how to spell the words. I skipped one week of R&S Spelling 3 recently because I knew my 7 year old knew all the words - tested him and moved on to the next week. For science and history, if you need to pick them up next fall, that wouldn't be the end of the world. Or you could skip a chapter or two. Or you could just read through some chapters without doing activities or narration or anything. Lots of options there.

So I say :chillpill: and get over this illness without worry about school. I agree with the PP that if you try to push through it, you may be sick longer. Just rest, drink lots of fluids, take your vitamins, eat well, and all around pamper yourself for a couple days. :grouphug:

I school year round, so taking off when I'm sick is easy, but since you don't want to school during the summer, here's some ideas...

I looked at what your kids are doing:

DD9 - CLE Math, WWW3, R&S Spelling 3, GWG3, FLL2, Artistic Pursuits, MTM, Apologia Botany, SOTW1, Girl Scouts

DS7 - CLE Math, WWW2, GWG2, FLL2, R&S Spelling 2, MTM, Apologia Botany, SOTW1, Swimming, Boyscouts

DD9 could probably do independently CLE Math, WWW3, R&S Spelling 3, GWG3... and could she read SOTW1 and Apologia Botany to her brother? I don't know what MTM is, and I wouldn't worry about art this week.

DS7 could probably do independently (or with just a little instruction from you) CLE Math, WWW2, GWG2, R&S Spelling 2, and then listen to big sis read. You don't HAVE to have 2 grammar programs, but if you're wanting to finish FLL2, just do more than 3 lessons a week for little bit when you're feeling well. FLL2 has fairly quick lessons, so they'd be easy to combine.

Now if your DS7 isn't ready to work independently, that's fine! You can probably still catch up when you're feeling better. If there is even one subject he's willing to do on his own, let him work ahead, and then use that subject's time to catch up on the other subjects when you're feeling better.

Also, keep in mind that you don't have to do every lesson of a book, so look through the books and see if there is anything you can skip. Even b&m school teachers don't do everything in the book. ;) For example, if you don't finish the last LU in CLE Math, won't it be reviewed in the first LU of the next year anyway? And grammar... that all repeats itself from year to year, so don't feel you HAVE to do every lesson. We only did half of FLL2 and then moved on to FLL3 with no problem. Everything was taught again, as if it were a new concept. :) In spelling, see if there are any weeks that the kids already know how to spell the words. I skipped one week of R&S Spelling 3 recently because I knew my 7 year old knew all the words - tested him and moved on to the next week. For science and history, if you need to pick them up next fall, that wouldn't be the end of the world. Or you could skip a chapter or two. Or you could just read through some chapters without doing activities or narration or anything. Lots of options there.

So I say :chillpill: and get over this illness without worry about school. I agree with the PP that if you try to push through it, you may be sick longer. Just rest, drink lots of fluids, take your vitamins, eat well, and all around pamper yourself for a couple days. :grouphug:

:iagree:

It's ok to :chillpill:. In fact, it is mandatory, because you must get well, and you'll do that more quickly and more completely if you :chillpill: now. Don't worry about finishing every jot and tittle. At the end of your school year, put everything away, finished or not. When your school year starts, take out the new stuff and move on. You'll all be fine. :)

I have already taken two weeks off and I feel so guilty since I feel like I will not be up to homeschooling tomorrow. I don't wanna be backed up into our summertime. My son fell on my back when I as sitting down and leaning over on Christmas Eve. It's been hard to even walk, sit, etc since then. Yesterday I got s horrible stuffy nose and sore throat and all the rest of me is aching, not to mention I haven't gotten the proper amount of sleep.

I will feel so guilty if I can't start back up tomorrow. I'm not good at taking time off. It took everything I had to take the whole two weeks off instead of 3 days each week which is what we would normally do.

Please help me to feel like its okay to just :chillpill:!

I let DD (8) do any solo work she can on her own. She loves to be able to show off how "grown up" and capable she is! She is also much more helpful with sweeping and clean up on days like this! HAHA Then we read or I will let her go online and play some reading games and such.

For what it's worth, I usually find that I stress over days like this too, but it all works out in the end. :)

I have been sick for a week now, and am _just_ beginning to feel better. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) I was sick during the holidays so we weren't planning on doing tons of work anyway. I had been hoping to get some Math and Science done, but not much happened last week. I am feeling slightly better today, so we're going to do a little bit.

my suggestions are to have your kids read, maybe do a sheet of math on their own, and watch educational shows like Mythbusters, Shark Week, Nova, etc. They'll learn a lot. And there are some great American history streaming shows on netflix.

Feel better, rest a lot and drink a lot of fluids.

Thank you for all the responses. I ended up having my DD9 and DS7 do whatever they could independently. Unfortunately, my DS7 loves to get distracted and play around if I'm not in the room. He is eating lunch right now, but still has to finish math and grammar. 3 hours already on CLE between working, starring off into space, twiddling with his pencil, dropping things on the floor, getting up to play with his 4 year old brother who has toys, and whatever else he can find to do that is more thrilling than math. :001_huh:

Forget Science and History. Just. Not. Happening! :lol: Back to bed for me!

I can't be the only one who has children 7 and 9 that won't work independently. My DD9 even needs me to sit with her while she does GWG and WWW, as does my DS7.

I can't be the only one who has children 7 and 9 that won't work independently. My DD9 even needs me to sit with her while she does GWG and WWW, as does my DS7.

Nope--you are not the only one! I was thinking more along the lines of 5 minutes of spelling! And perhaps a drill worksheet in math for the 9 year old. Get some rest, relax, and feel better soon!

I have them do whatever they can independently. If that means a week of just Math, I'm fine with that. Unlike others, I'm a bit fortunate to have extra adult hands to help (adult-aged children living at home), so my helpers can either work with the children or at least grade the Math that they are doing. If no helpers are available, which seems to be often lately, I just grade it all and review it with them when I feel better. By the time the year is over, all the work assigned for the year will be completed. If that means completed evenly or having extra on some days, so be it. It's no big deal.

Have them do what you can, but really, just take of yourself. It'll all work out in the end. :grouphug:

I agree with everyone else, have them do as much as they can and then watch some edu T.V. and read to them or have them read to you. Let them do some art. If they are like mine they have a ton of new arts and things from Christmas that they could use...

and this:

Don't worry about finishing every jot and tittle. At the end of your school year, put everything away, finished or not. When your school year starts, take out the new stuff and move on. You'll all be fine. :)

is soooo hard for me, but I am learning it and doing it more and more each year. This year, I had dd7 pick back up her 1st grade phonics she had not finished and finish it before she started the new 2nd grade one. But I have noticed with our math that the last 10 lessons or so are mostly review at the end of the year, and of course each year begins with review. So we stop where we are when we get to the end of the year. dd7 never did do the entire unit 5 of her reading/Bible last year (gasp!) and we just keep SOTW going year round because there is no way to do it in 9 or 10 months. We will see where we end up in English for each. But there are a LOT of lessons in R&S. Some of them have to be skipped to do it in a year IMO. I just have to tell myself, "It's ok, It's ok..."