Menu

Does anyone get the Clean Eating Magazine?

I wasn't sure based on your thread title if you were asking if people subscribed to it, or if they "got" it. I saw my first ever copy of the magazine last night at the bookstore, and I didn't immediately "get" it. I was looking in the front of the magazine trying to see if they had some sort of philosophy that explained what they are about.

I assumed it had something to do with health, but beyond that I wasn't sure.

I had a year subscription and I LOVE the magazine-it is exactly the way we eat, etc.

HOWEVER-and this is a big one-the recipes I tried from it were HORRIBLE!!! I am an excellent cook too. But I tried probably six recipes from different issues and they were by far the worst dinners we have had in years.

I was so disappointed :(

For $6 it would be worth it for the articles though!

I have a couple of Tosca Reno's cookbooks and they are EXCELLENT; highly recommended. Tosca is the person who started the magazine, I believe.

I was so excited to get it, but have been less than impressed with the actual magazine. The recipes have a lot more wheat and grains than I would like, and sometimes they just keep the calories down by suggesting irrationally small portions.

While I like what Clean Eating has to say about itself, I've actually had much better luck with Cooking Light (which is much, much better now than I remember it being years ago). Better recipes, more options for those trying not to make grains central to their diet...

I wasn't sure based on your thread title if you were asking if people subscribed to it, or if they "got" it. I saw my first ever copy of the magazine last night at the bookstore, and I didn't immediately "get" it. I was looking in the front of the magazine trying to see if they had some sort of philosophy that explained what they are about.

I assumed it had something to do with health, but beyond that I wasn't sure.

I wondered that too & I looked in the front of the magazine & found a little blurb about their philosophy. It's similarly stated on their website:

"
Clean Eating
takes you beyond the food you eat, exploring the multitude of health and nutritional benefits that can be yours when you subscribe to a clean lifestyle. In every way, clean eating is all about consuming whole food in its most natural state, or as close to it as possible. Taking a creative yet doable approach to cooking, you’ll find it easy to enhance the natural flavors of any meal without compromising the integrity of your food. When it comes right down to it,
Clean Eating
is not a diet; it’s way of improving your life – one meal at a time."

I was so excited to get it, but have been less than impressed with the actual magazine. The recipes have a lot more wheat and grains than I would like, and sometimes they just keep the calories down by suggesting irrationally small portions.

While I like what Clean Eating has to say about itself, I've actually had much better luck with Cooking Light (which is much, much better now than I remember it being years ago). Better recipes, more options for those trying not to make grains central to their diet...

I agree. I subscribe to Cooking Light, and I picked up an issue of Clean Eating at the bookstore because I like Reno's books. I prefer Cooking Light, though.

Cooks Illustrated is great, too. Learning the techniques used to prepare whole foods helps you incorporate them more easily into your diet.