Menu

Prolonged OTC drug overdose in kids

If a parent with a very low IQ (not a lot of decision making or self-control skills) were to constantly give a child over the counter and/or prescription drugs from birth to age 5, what do you think the consequences could be? Like, if every time the child coughed, the child automatically got cough medicine, etc. Not maliciously ODing the child, but perhaps unintentionally...

I haven't been able to find a lot of info on the topic. Most info is about one time, severe overdoses. Logic would tell me that if a child was constantly drowsy from meds, it would inhibit brain growth, correct?

I just received some new background on my girls (adopted) and am trying to decide if it could have contributed to some issues/delays with one of them.

Obviously I'll talk with the pediatrician, but not today.

Does anyone have experience with this type of thing? Any advice as to where to turn for some reading on the matter? (We're far along on our special needs journey, so I'm good as far as general help- for today! haha-...I'm just interested in this medication overdose piece.) Thanks!

No help with the long-term use of OTC meds, but I believe if your child has a parent with a very low IQ the likelihood is that their delays may be genetic.

depends upon the cause. My father has a sister with low IQ, but she had a brain injury at birth. so, she mostly lives on her own. she had a child who was given up for adoption. to my understanding he is normal IQ.

eta: just the lack of interaction/stimulation that would be likely with a parent of low IQ could cause delays.

eta: just the lack of interaction/stimulation that would be likely with a parent of low IQ could cause delays.

:iagree: The constant drowsiness itself would inhibit normal interaction and thus normal development, I would think. No idea what the effect on the brain itself would be, but I would definitely think you could attribute some developmental delay to it.

I think it makes sense that it could contribute on a couple levels. First, those medications typically make people hyper or drowsy. That certainly isn't good for brain growth or learning. Second, the medications themselves could have changed the brain just as prolonged alcohol usage would. We all know of people who are a shell of themselves even after getting off drugs, for example. Third, having five years of lowered stimulation by someone possibly not capable of giving quality interactions most certainly could play a big part. Fourth, what other poor choices were made due to this person's situations? For example, in our case, the alcohol played a part in what was done to my children; but part was other poor thinking even when sober.

Oh, and one other thing. One huge issue for my children is that they can't learn as well (though are doing beautifully) because they constantly fear what all was done. Even if the medicating was the only abuse, it is possible the children live in fear of it deep down in their cells, even after a long period of time in a safe and healthy household. That fear could also keep children from learning as efficiently as they would if they weren't in a low-level fear.

I think what is most important is what you plan to DO with this information. You simply cannot change the first five years of their lives. So if it was the medication or drowsiness, the chances of fixing it are slimmer. However, if you decided to address the fear component, that *is* something that could be worked upon (Karyn Purvis has a lot online; Heather Forbes materials are great. You might also try Bryan Post.).

Thanks everyone!

I should have clarified- low IQ is NOT genetic...it was an injury. We know a lot about other neglect and abuse that happened but this medication thing was new and something that made me kind of go- ah ha!

My girls actually have normal IQs.

Thanks for the info about fear. I have some reading to do now! We've done a lot of therapy and work on anxiety, etc. But, it's good for me to constantly be getting new ideas. They are doing really well, but I know recovery will truly be life-long and issues will come up with every new phase of their lives.

Thanks!

One note of encouragement: the brain is incredibly plastic--particularly when children are younger. I would make sure to stimulate all sections of the brain, including visual-spatial learning (not part of typical academic learning) from early on. Also, you might read the Out of Sync Child. Even if they don't have sensory issues, the kinds of stimulation recommended can be good for all kids.

I don't know about growth stunting, but I might wonder about liver function and making the organ process so much concentrated material at such young ages.

That was my thought, too. Especially since acetaminophen is common in children's medicines, and overdose from chronic usage is a definite problem.

They are discovering a supposed link between tylenol/ acetaminophen and asthma. I did wonder if perhaps less informed parents might give their child medication more readily than more discerning parents, and that this might explain asthma "hot zones" around the country.

As far as developmental delays, it would depend on the type of medication. I don't think being drowsy a lot as a very young child would in and of itself cause permanent damage.