Menu

Celexa -- just starting out hating it

Has anyone on here been on celexa for depression? I just started it on Tuesday and am really struggling with it. So drowsy, no appetite, sleeping issues, and just feeling slow and drugged.

I want to just go off of it, but am willing to stick it out if there's some hope. I'm only on 5mg, so the dose can't get much smaller.

I've never been on any meds of any kind before, so this is very discouraging. Can anyone offer me some hope?

I've been on 20mg of Celexa off and on for years to treat my depression and OCD. There's always an adjustment period where you feel really off for a week or two, but after that it should get much better. The only time you shouldn't try to stick it out is if you're having any kind of severe reaction, like suicidal thoughts, hallucinations, etc.

If the side effects are tolerable, stick it out. :001_smile:

I take Paxil, and the first two weeks, I felt very sleepy and dopey. After that, I felt normal, and it helped my OCD immensely! I'd encourage you to stick it out; the side effects will very likely diminish.

Wendi

:iagree:This is me, too. That first couple of weeks, I probably could've fallen asleep standing up! I also started clenching my teeth & would have headaches all the time. I considered stopping right then, but decided to stick it out. Glad I did. I felt so good, and everyone else around me was happier, too!

I took one dose and vomited. Tried again, and it happened again. Didn't agree with me.

I took Effexor XR with no issues. But getting off of it was H E double hockey sticks.

AD take a while before you get adjusted. Take it at night if it makes you tired, and give a good 6 weeks.

Good luck and best wishes to you.

I tried Lexapro (a derivative of Celexa) and it was horrible--horribly sleepy and couldn't sleep, s*x issues, spaced, and awful. I tried shaving the pill down to essentially nothing and I had the same issues until it was down to nothing.

The doctor said to give it a chance.

I have to say that my son took Celexa and did well with it.

Every med is different for every person. I've taken things for long periods of time that my dd31 was unable to tolerate for more than a dose -- it's different for everyone.

check out www.crazymeds.com and you will find excellent info about meds -- someone here suggested the website and it has becone my go-to place when I need info.:grouphug:

It is helpful to read others' experiences. I'm only on a measly 5 milligrams and it just floors me every time I take it. It makes me feel MORE anxious and depressed.

I will say, though, that today I only felt miserable for about an hour after taking it -- earlier this week it was more like 3 hours. So, maybe it's getting better?

I did try taking it at night once, and that was a big mistake. I was super sleepy, but could not sleep a wink. It was a terrible, long, depressing night.

I was reading today (in some info from my doctor) that the biggest mistake people make with antidepressants is going off of them too soon. So I'm going to try hard to get through this.

I do feel pretty good (not exactly normal, but it's only been 6 days) the rest of the day. My depression seems to have lifted and the anxiety is minimal. That is a very good feeling!

Could it be helping that quickly?

It is helpful to read others' experiences. I'm only on a measly 5 milligrams and it just floors me every time I take it. It makes me feel MORE anxious and depressed.

I will say, though, that today I only felt miserable for about an hour after taking it -- earlier this week it was more like 3 hours. So, maybe it's getting better?

I did try taking it at night once, and that was a big mistake. I was super sleepy, but could not sleep a wink. It was a terrible, long, depressing night.

I was reading today (in some info from my doctor) that the biggest mistake people make with antidepressants is going off of them too soon. So I'm going to try hard to get through this.

I do feel pretty good (not exactly normal, but it's only been 6 days) the rest of the day. My depression seems to have lifted and the anxiety is minimal. That is a very good feeling!

I've had it start working within the first week.

Sometimes, when I've been off my Celexa for awhile and then go back on, I have terrible insomnia the first week. It always passes, though. From what I've read, that's fairly common. Once your side effects start to subside, you could try taking it at night then and see if you have more success. I always take mine at night now and have no problem sleeping.

I have taken it for anxiety for about 7 years now. The first few weeks I felt awful....so sleepy, headaches, nausea. Since then, I have had zero side effects. It has helped me tremendously! I would try to wait it out if you are just having a general sick feeling.

Yes, it could help that quickly - or what you are feeling is better than how you felt. You clearly are very aware of how it is making you feel and that will be to your benefit. Somethings help quickly, peak, then become less effective - that was my experience with zoloft.

When I took Effexor XR, I noticed a change in three days - a good change. I was on it for a very long time. When I tried Wellbutrin, I stopped after about a week.

I stayed on Zoloft for 3 weeks, then switched to Cymbalta. The cymbalta took a really long time to reach its peak, but I have been taking it for 11 months now and while I do have highs and lows, I am pleased with it. And, as someone told me, you can't have the highs without the lows.

Someone I know took Paxil and had to be taken off it immediately -- they had the same experience with lexapro.

I've had it start working within the first week.

Sometimes, when I've been off my Celexa for awhile and then go back on, I have terrible insomnia the first week. It always passes, though. From what I've read, that's fairly common. Once your side effects start to subside, you could try taking it at night then and see if you have more success. I always take mine at night now and have no problem sleeping.

I sure hope this is my experience. The insomnia has been rough, but I had that to some extent before starting the celexa. The only other side effects I'm having are the drowsy, anxious, ick right after I take it. And today, it wasn't too bad. Much better than earlier in the week.

And really, my depression seems minimal now. Hard to believe, given where I was a week ago. I did also start some counseling, which was very encouraging right away, so I know that helped, too.

I have taken it for anxiety for about 7 years now. The first few weeks I felt awful....so sleepy, headaches, nausea. Since then, I have had zero side effects. It has helped me tremendously! I would try to wait it out if you are just having a general sick feeling.

I'm going to try to stick it out. It is kind of a general sick feeling -- drowsy and loopy and anxious. But, since I started this thread I've noticed significant improvement. I'm hoping that lasts.

I knew nothing about antidepressants before this -- never knew people had to go through all this to get them working for them. Ugh.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update from the OP...

I'm still on my 5mg of Celexa, and all the side effects are gone. I feel completely like my normal self again (!!!), and am so glad that I didn't quit.

Thanks to those of you who shared some encouragement -- it helped!

Just an update from the OP...

I'm still on my 5mg of Celexa, and all the side effects are gone. I feel completely like my normal self again (!!!), and am so glad that I didn't quit.

Thanks to those of you who shared some encouragement -- it helped!

I'm so glad to hear it! :grouphug:

I started taking Wellbutrin four days ago. It makes me feel so bad that I skipped it on the third day. I took it again this morning and it was slightly better. I intend to give it a month because I don't really have a lot of options but I hope things get better soon.

I'm sorry you're feeling so crummy. It was really hard those first few days for me. I think it was the third day that was the worst for me. I'm a follow-the-doctor's-orders kind of gal, and I was ready to quit.

I hope you'll start feeling the benefits right away. It sure has been worth it for me.