Menu

Laptop or iPad

I love, love my iPad, but if any of your school requires the use of Flash, you will never be able to view it on iPad. For example, my boys use Reading Eggs online, but can only use computer not iPad because of Flash. It drives me crazy! Also, it is possible to print from iPad, but I don't have the right printer for wireless printing and not buying a new one!

With that said, you should determine exactly what you plan to use it for. If nothing mentioned about iPad makes a difference to you, then I say iPad all the way. Size and convenience alone is worth it! Still my favorite Mothers Day gift ever!:D

Well, right now what I'm doing is printing out the week's worth of stuff and taking it with us. I don't know that we'd be getting a travel printer, at least not right away, so that part would stay the same.

The biggest thing I do with the computer during the week is youtube: "What's a potter's wheel?" is a question much easier answered with a video than a big explanation! We get a lot of that sort of thing. It would be really nice to be able to go see the Usborne History Encyclopedia's links. Both of those things are, I think, things that both the iPad and the laptop can do.

We're not apple people. Well, my husband isn't. I don't care. Mentioning the iPad to my husband made him cringe. But a friend of mine has one and it looks really nice- the small size especially is appealing. Plus, I've seen a mess of threads about all the nice educational apps that are out there. We don't currently have an app-friendly device of any sort.

What exactly are people doing with their iPads? It seems like there is so much potential there, but I don't know what I'm looking at really...

I think the gps is only on the 3G version. The wireless is cheaper and works for me. I either use free wireless somewhere or use a separate hotspot. I do all kinds of stuff on the iPad. I no longer print and take stuff for school when I travel. I put it in Notability and dd writes on the PDF. You can watch YouTube and there are tons of apps for education, entertainment, etc. You should search for recent threads on iPad, apps, notability, etc. I read on it and so does dd. she's getting her own for Christmas. So far I haven't found anything I need to do while traveling that I can't do on the iPad. Also, the battery lasts almost 10 hours. I've said this in other threads but we travel a lot and I used to bring lots of books, crayons, DVD player, case of dvd's, school work folders with lots of printed stuff, copies of worksheets for dd and teacher manuals for me, etc. now I just take the iPad.

Also, many colleges now offer textbooks for the iPad to rent and/or buy.

I have a laptop. I'm tired of lugging this dinosaur all around. I'm getting an Ipad2 for Christmas (with keyboard) and can't wait. I can put it in my purse and GO. I doubt my laptop will get much use now. Oh well.

The fact that it fits it my purse is also a huge plus for me. I also love that I don't have to power it on and off. It's on but asleep all the time and takes less than a second to turn on and start working.

We have both, the Ipad 2 is useful but not my go to tool...it's a pain to type one fingered on, some pages do not display the same as on a laptop...if you drop it and the screen breaks, it costs $400 to fix it...(but, if you're really nice and explain the circumstances to the nice online reps-not the brain crew at the store..they will fix it for free)..

My contacts on my mail server do not show up on the Ipad version, also another pain...the individuals do but not my group contact lists which contain 30-40 names each...ugh. I can't use Photoshop on Ipad, the ipad can not save word documents which I use a lot of....without a doubt I would get a very very good laptop.

[quote name=ma23peas;3435646.

My contacts on my mail server do not show up on the Ipad version' date=' also another pain...the individuals do but not my group contact lists which contain 30-40 names each...ugh. I can't use Photoshop on Ipad, the ipad can not save word documents which I use a lot of....without a doubt I would get a very very good laptop.

I'm pretty sure there are apps to do most of what you are referring to here. Not that you have to use the iPad if you prefer the laptop but these functions are available. There are apps to save, create and edit word documents. There are calendar and contact apps that will do what you describe and there are versions of photoshop in the appstore. Also, for the typing everyone recommended a keyboard if you don't also have a laptop.

The question I have is this: If an iPad fits in there, can you really call it a purse? :auto:

:lol: Nope! It's a handbag if it's THAT big! A purse is the little 'bag' you put your money and cards in. You put your purse inside your handbag and unless your all carrying Mary Poppins bags there is NO WAY my ipad would fit in my handbag either :001_huh:

The question I have is this: If an iPad fits in there, can you really call it a purse? :auto:

I think mine qualifies as a purse. I don't keep much in there other than a small cosmetic bag a wallet & the iPad. It barely fits and the purse just zips over it. I was going to provide a picture but can't figure out how to attach from the iPad. I also just bought dd the cutest little messenger bag to carry her new one around after Christmas. It will hold the iPad in it's case & her headphones. That is if dh let's her use it much. He's been playing with it and discovering all the ways he e can use it for business and I'm envisioning a 3rd iPad purchase next year after he realizes it's not as easy to share as he thought it would be.

Thank you all for your input!

I fooled around with my friends tonight (tried Angry Birds for the first time:D), and I like it. Hers is pretty new, so she's not got tons of aps yet. But I did see a Kindle reader, which would be awesome, and I tried out her keyboard. Maybe I just have small hands, but it wasn't so bad. Not quite standard typing, but easier than he one handed typing I do when there's a sleeping kid on my lap! And I love the touch screen. Plus I was reading on the apple site that it can do internet from our carrier, which is appealing because hotel internet is sometimes... irregular.

:tongue_smilie::D

I've already got one big enough to carry a camera case & some diapers...

I could practically stick the *laptop* in that thing!

:lol: Nope! It's a handbag if it's THAT big! A purse is the little 'bag' you put your money and cards in. You put your purse inside your handbag and unless your all carrying Mary Poppins bags there is NO WAY my ipad would fit in my handbag either :001_huh:

'Round here the money & cards go in a wallet and the wallet goes in a purse... petite or jumbo, it's still just a purse.

Edited by Ritsumei