Menu

Family photos

When you have family portraits done do you dress to a certain theme? Do you wear matching outfits? Same color scheme? Or does each person wear their own thing?

We're having portraits taken tonight. I want dh and the boys to wear blue shirts (not the exact same shirts just all some shade of blue) while I wear a pink shirt. I figure I'm the only girl so I'll wear pink while all the males in my life wear blue.

Dh says we might as well sign up for "Awkward Family Photos" now.

Is my idea stupid? In 20 yrs will I be laughed at?

I think coordinating, without being too matchy-matchy, looks the best. I think you in pink and the males in various shades of blue will look great. Our last family photo was a total accident; we happened to be wearing similar colors, and we happened to get a good photo (on Thanksgiving).

I'm wearing a light blue shirt and navy blue pants.

DH is wearing a navy blue shirt and jeans.

DD is wearing a navy blue jumper over a light blue shirt.

DS1 is wearing a navy blue sweater with a white stripe across the chest and grey pants.

DS2 is wearing a grey sweater with a navy blue design on the chest, a white turtleneck, and navy blue pants.

Baby DS3 is wearing grey overalls over a navy blue shirt.

When I realized that DS1 and DS2 would be semi-matching, because they both had nice sweaters that happened to be similar, I chose something for DS3 so he could match them. The rest was a coincidence. The effect is harmonious and coordinating but not too contrived.

We pick a color scheme and then everyone wears some variation there of. The very first year we did group photos everyone wore blue jeans and black shirts and we used a standard blue backdrop. Those were the best pictures. We also did red and white one year and they came out ok but last year we did shades of blue and there weren't so great. This year it has been really hard to get everyone to agree on colors. We finally decided on cream and gold with black pants. We are having an extremely hard time finding clothes for everyone. Two of us still don't have tops and we aren't having much luck finding them either. I have already decided that next year we are going to do jewel tones with everyone picking their own color.