Menu

Has Anyone Tried WP Animals And Their Worlds Gr.1-4?

teeniebeenie6

I am curious if anyone has tried Winter Promises Animals and Their Worlds Grade 1-4? I came across it tonight and my interest was immediately peaked. I am leaning towards buying it for my daughter for next year. If you have used this program what do you like or dislike about it? Do any of the books covered have evolution in them? I would love your input on this program, thanks :)

We are doing it right now & my dd LOVES it! In fact, she loves it so much that I spent several months beefing the program up for her to stretch it out over 2 years (we spend 2-3 weeks per animal with extras such as videos, library books, elaborate crafts, experiments, etc).

I have an older 2006 Instructor's Guide that combines all grades but I scheduled in the books from the current edition too.

As for dislikes, the only problem I have is that I wish the program had 10 times more activities/books scheduled (which is probably something no one else would notice considering the program is very full):D

If you have a child who is as fascinated with animals as mine is (seriously, future veterinarian on my hands) Animals & Their Worlds is definitely for you!

The beauty of the program is you can easily adapt it to fit your preferences (4 days a week, Wednesday craft day, add in videos/library books, replace a reader with one you think looks more interesting, field trips to animal related business like pet shop, deer farm, zoo, aquarium). I created a blank schedule & printed 36 copies so I can write down the extras/alternates without marking up the guide.

We are Christians and I cannot recall any major references to evolution anywhere (the occasional "millions of years ago" in the animal encyclopedia) but I usually gloss over that stuff with "some people believe that" kind of response and explain why we do not believe that statement.

There are some wonderful websites I found that have notebooking pages, lapbooks, crafts, math, coloring pages, etc, that correlate with each weeks lessons so if you decide to buy it, let me know & I will PM you some of the links!

If you have any more questions, I would be happy to TRY & answer them ;)

I have been thinking about this for my 2 boys for next year. I would love to hear more about the notebooks included with the package. The sample shows colour but says they are b/w.:confused: I would actually prefer b/w.

ETA: I just found individual notebook samples and they are b/w.:blushing: Is it just me or dos the prek/k one look a better choice for 1st grade than the 1-4 one?

Edited by lorrainejmc

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I had planned on using this next year as well, and now we are looking at making some changes after Christmas and I was thinking of starting this early. Can you tell me if it would require tweaking to start the program this time of year? The samples show note booking pages about trees in fall in the first few weeks, and we're definitely past that season!

I bought it used for my kids. I agree with what a previous poster said. It is VERY choppy. It would have driven us all nuts. So I sold it. I want to love WP. This was my second purchase of their products. The first was also pieced together, had activities that didn't seem to fit, and jumped around in ability levels. Some of the books are 2-3 grades ahead while other are a year behind. And for us, it had too many activities - but I know that some families LOVE all the extra's.

Edited by BlueSkiesAbove
typos

The Make Your Own Animal Notebook is in full color. (I LOVE it!) I agree that the younger version would be better for a first grader.

We have done AW one and a half times, once with a first grader and once for K. I plan to repeat it next year with a third grader. As you can tell, I really really like this program. I am excited to do it with an older child, one who can actually do cutting and pasting on his own. I'll likely be adding in resources from the old version, but I bought the new instructor guide and can't wait to dive in in the fall!

I used it but found it to jump around a lot - in ways that just didn't make sense at all. It seemed like the schedule was thrown together with the books, but there wasn't a lot of cohesive thought put into it.

Another thing - WP is known for some serious shipping/customer service issues. I have a friend who waited for months before all of her books arrived. After getting them, she realized that there were some grievous errors in the maps and WP published books. Upon contacting the company she was informed that it was past their return policy and she was stuck - well, when it takes months to receive all the items, it doesn't make sense that the return policy is based on when the first item is shipped out. It makes it hard to determine if the program will work or not if all books are not in hand, KWIM?

I used it but found it to jump around a lot - in ways that just didn't make sense at all. It seemed like the schedule was thrown together with the books, but there wasn't a lot of cohesive thought put into it.

Another thing - WP is known for some serious shipping/customer service issues. I have a friend who waited for months before all of her books arrived. After getting them, she realized that there were some grievous errors in the maps and WP published books. Upon contacting the company she was informed that it was past their return policy and she was stuck - well, when it takes months to receive all the items, it doesn't make sense that the return policy is based on when the first item is shipped out. It makes it hard to determine if the program will work or not if all books are not in hand, KWIM?

I think I might know your friend. If not, she's not the only one this happened to.

Is this the woman with some blog posts on it? They were very eye-opening to me.

Yeah, from what I've heard and read - this isn't an isolated case. And in some cases these problems are known and have not been addressed, which is unfortunate!

The shipping was the first time was not too bad. Took 5 weeks to get everything in. The second time, it trickled in over 4 months. The would say it was shipped and it wasn't and then they sent a couple of things twice and I had to pay to send it back. Total nightmare.

I have used several WP programs and NEVER had even a tiny problem. With AW, I bought the guide from WP and the books from all over the place but I bought Adv K LA, Ancients & Middle Ages packages with no problems. And each package was purchased separately over several years so my experience with their customer service was not an isolated event.

I will say that it is better to call in your order than place it online. Then they can tell you if anything is back ordered.

If you want to ensure everything arrives on time, I suggest buying the books separately and the exclusives from WP. I saved over $150 buying AW that way.

The Make Your Own Animal Notebook is in full color. (I LOVE it!) I agree that the younger version would be better for a first grader.

We have done AW one and a half times, once with a first grader and once for K. I plan to repeat it next year with a third grader. As you can tell, I really really like this program. I am excited to do it with an older child, one who can actually do cutting and pasting on his own. I'll likely be adding in resources from the old version, but I bought the new instructor guide and can't wait to dive in in the fall!

Thanks. Looks like we'll go with the younger version then.:D

I bought it used for my kids. I agree with what a previous poster said. It is VERY choppy. It would have driven us all nuts. So I sold it. I want to love WP. This was my second purchase of their products. The first was also pieced together, had activities that didn't seem to fit, and jumped around in ability levels. Some of the books are 2-3 grades ahead while other are a year behind. And for us, it had too many activities - but I know that some families LOVE all the extra's.

This was my experience with AW too. It is choppy. We also did AS1, and I found that choppy too. We made AW work, as I actually changed the schedule A LOT. They scheduled the activities erratically in the version I had. It made no sense. I could plainly see where it would have been better scheduled to flow more easily, but it wasn't in the IG. After I changed it up a lot with hours of work, we enjoyed it, but I did get tired of doing animals.

The book level thing is an issue too. Some of the books were just plain too hard and some were extremely easy. It would be better if they were all really easy or really hard instead of each book being at a different level. Our family also found the Adventure Reading to be dull and we only liked half (or less) of them in each of the WP programs we used. This may be just a family-by-family thing, though.

Edited by 3peasinapod

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, there is a huge range of likes and dislikes, interesting. I wonder how much better the new version is? Choppy doesn't sound very appealing. Hmm. I wonder if I should make my own animal curriculum using the books they recommend? Their forum is pretty dead, I was hoping there would be more feedback on the newest edition there.

We stuck with it for about 9 weeks and then finally I just admitted my mistake and dropped it. My dd LOVES animals, thought it would be a perfect fit. It is definitely choppy, some activities are way too young for the suggested ages, the notebooking was annoying to my daughter after the first four pages, too repetitive. I ended up using all the books I bought with the program to create my own animal study.

Noelle

I have used American Story 1 and had purchased AW but it looked a little young (okay a lot young) for my animal loving dd then a 1st grader. I am keeping it to use with my ds who does not know as much about animals and might learn from it. (DD could correctly identify the difference between moose, elk, deer, caribou etc by 18 months.. DS not so much.. LOL). The issues of shipping and choppiness are the main complaints you'll hear about WP.. and you'll hear them a LOT from a lot of folks.

I did not notice that AS1 was "choppy" but it was American history.. it pretty much went chronologically so how choppy can you be?? I agree that I did tweak the curriculum a lot as most others do but I was using AS1 with a first grader so the crafts were a bit beyond her ability. I bought an IG/notebooking pages "used" unused from someone else and we did not do the notebook either.. BORING! I've heard from friends of mine who are using some of the exclusives (for AS2 and CATW) that they are not worth what you have to pay, repetitive, etc.

The readers are an issue also.. but we just used readers of our choosing from our library.

This post might sound negative.. but I do actually like WP(some of it:) and have AS2 to do in the next year or two.. but just wanted to be honest about the amount of tweaking necessary.. I think that AW could be an awesome jump off place for you.. or may I suggest The Complete book of Animals on Amazon?? I have that too and it is great.. repetitive also but colorful and a lot cheaper.. lol

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-Animals/dp/156189544X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326740201&sr=8-1

Here are a few of the links I have (gotta get dinner then I will look for the rest). They are not in any particular order, there may be duplicates (sorry :tongue_smilie:) and a few may be dead (you can copy/paste dead links into the Wayback Machine).

AW Biomes of the World

AW National Geographic

Africam | Always Live & Wild from African waterholes & bush, 24x7

Animals & Their Worlds gravy

Zoology Free Links

African Savanna For Kids

All about frogs

Animal Report Forms

Animal Studies

Animal Themes

National Geographic Kids

animals unit study

Bird Activities Birds

Birds of the Air!

Black Swallowtail Butterfly

Butterfly Lapbook

Butterfly Lapbook

Coral Reef Lapbook

Desert Animals Lapbook

Dinosaur Theme

Dolphin Healing Part 2

ECHO Lake Aquarium and Science Center

Fish Science Explorations - Oceans

Fisheries kids package

Frog & Toad @ The Virtual Vine

Frog Activities

Frog Unit Study: Hopping to Learn

Frog: Photos, Video, Facts, E-card, Map

Froggy Activites

FROGLAND! AllAboutFrogs.ORG

Frogs and Toads links

Butterflies & Caterpillars

Grasshopper Lapbook

Horse lesson plans k-1

Horse: Przewalski's

Horses lapbook ideas

Horses Mrs Mack lapbook

Horses HSS Units

KidsDinos.com

Ladybug Lapbook

Lion Lapbook

Mini Units - Animals

National Geographic Kids

Outdoor activity ideas Natl Wildlife

Owl baby crafts

Penguin Homepage

Penguin science

Polar Animals Lapbook

Rainforest Great Kapok Tree lapbook

Rattlesnakes of Arizona

Black Birds

The Western Bluebird

Horse Unit Study

Animal Science Lesson Plans: Behavior, Vertebrates, Invertebrates

Birds — Celebrate Urban Birds

Frog Lapbook

The Teacher's Guide Frogs Theme Page

Geography lesson plans to go with AW

Expedition Earth: Discovering God’s Animals

Rainforest Biomes

Burgess Animal Book for Children Audio & text

Animal games

The Reptiles and Amphibians of Arizona

Coral Reef - Dynamic 2 Moms

Great Cats - National Zoo

Kids for Tigers

Animal sanctuary

Save the Tiger Fund

Viz Kids / ideastream

Horse museum

Horse Coloring Pages

The Desert Tour

Forest Animals Coloring Pages | Woodlands

Animals of the Rainforest WebQuest

Rainforest Alliance

Discovery Education

Virtual Zoo

Crickweb | KS2 Science

Life Science Activities

Grade 1 life science harcourt

Kratts' Creatures | PBS Kids

Everglades-Animals and Habitats

EEK! - Critter Corner - Habitats

Animal Crafts - MSSS

AWF: Wildlife: Lion

Great Cats: Lions - National Zoo

Safari and Zoo Animal Printables

Ocean Unit Study

Mammal Study

Elephants God lesson

Desert Animals

Blue Planet Biomes - World Biomes

I love you!!! Thank you so much!

:grouphug:

Totally OT, I see in your siggy that you have an 18yo. My oldest turned 18 in Nov :crying:

How can my little baby boy be an adult????:sad: I can close my eyes & remember the way his clean little head smelled (used to drive dh batty cuz I spent all day sniffing his head). Now all I smell is cologne & gym socks that never seem to be clean no matter how much they are washed :tongue_smilie:

And when did I become old enough to have a grown-up for a child??? Not ME! :thumbdown:

I have a document somewhere in my computer full of links. If I forget to post it in the next day or so & you want more links, give me a swift kick or something so I can give you the rest of them :D