Menu

Relatives without kids just don't get it, do they?

Just venting about my sisters...both of whom are long divorced, and neither has any children. One is also unemployed and being supported by my parents. The other's job is such that she ends up with three to four days off in a row most weeks.

Can I just say how tired I am of hearing them complain about how exhausted they are and "how much" they have to do?

I homeschool three active boys, work at least 20 hours a week as a freelance writer, another 20 hours a month or so is devoted to my cake decorating/face painting business, I serve on our local MOPS steering team, and of course am kept hopping all the time with co-op class, homeschool group, and all the other things involved in raising a busy family. We volunteer as much as we can as well.

You don't even want to know what my house looks like at the moment...I hate that it's often my house that ends up at the bottom of the priority list, but it just does. Now, here we are, one week before Christmas and my tree is up, but naked. The dining room is a mess--nowhere near decorated. I bought new stockings--they are still buried in a bag somewhere. You get the idea. And everyone is coming to my house for Christmas Day.

Anyway, when asked earlier this week how I was doing, I admitted that I felt like I was drowning...I asked my sisters if they could come help me get the house together this week while they're both off. One sister is always pretty point-blank (ironically, the unemployed one) about not volunteering her help...she makes "helpful" suggestions about how I could improve so that things could work better for me. :001_huh: The other always promises help, but about 1 time in 10 follows through.

So I just heard that tonight, they are both at one of their houses, decorating her Christmas tree. :glare:

This news has done nothing to improve my already Scrooge-like mood this week.

I'm tired all the time and I don't do 1/3 of what you do!! (well...maybe 1/3 in my own defense).

I was just thinking that I needed to start DOING more so I will have more energy.

I think people who do less, have less energy, so you need to suggest to the suggestion sister to get off her butt and she will not be so tired.

As to why they are together and not with you??? I would have my feelings hurt and wonder if I had bad breath or something.

Remember: you obviously have been given much, and are living to your potential. WTG!!

I have three kids too, though mine are older now. We always have Christmas at my house, and I am pretty overwhelmed this week. I think a lot of women are overwhelmed this week! With kids, without kids, working, not working - every woman I know is complaining about how busy she is right now. It's just a really hard time of year in terms of getting a gazillion tasks done.

But really, I can't imagine asking my sister who has no children to help my clean my house. My other sister has one child. I can't imagine asking her either. Or if I asked, I guess I can't imagine being mad when they decline. Having three children was my choice. And in a way, having Christmas at my house was also my choice, partly because I am more comfortable with my kids in my house than in visiting my sisters'. My sisters have different lives and choices, and if they are less busy (which I am not sure they are) they chose that. People who choose not to have larger families maybe have more time to relax, but that is the result of their choices, which I was free to make but didn't.

I think you should consider doing what my good friend did. She just told her family that she was glad to hostess, but she wouldn't be cleaning the house and would not be cooking - that she would get a cold cut tray from the grocery store, but that was it - she was tired of cooking on Christmas Day and missing the joy of just being with her children relaxing. She really did it too. Her husband is a sweetie but not that domestic, and at first he was sort of embarrassed, but she told him he had the option of doing the cleaning and cooking, and he didn't want to do that. So there you go. Messy house, packaged food, confident Mom. I can't bring myself to do that, though, so right now, my feet are killing me and the house is a wreck.

When you don't have enough to physically remain active, one often feels enervated and weakened. It is one of the reasons every time I feel a slack in the cord that pulls me along, I take up a new project.

2 things to do: takes all day, and one gets a sloppy job.

10 things to do, the day flies by and you get 9 done really well, and fall asleep the moment your head hits the pillow.

Feel sorry for them.

My family is coming for Christmas, and I am hosting a few of them for several nights. Thankfully, we are not eating Christmas dinner at my house, but I will be cooking most of it.

My house is a wreck, the presents aren't wrapped, I still have some shopping to do. I wasn't excited that my home was volunteered as a camping spot for the family members who will stay, but I made it clear that I am still up to my eyeballs in morning sickness and they are not to expect a clean house, not an energetic and entertaining hostess!

I want to cry when I think of all that needs to be done...and I feel like doing NONE of it! There is ONE room in my house that is somewhat tidy, and the bathrooms are downright frightening (I have one boy whose "aim" is so bad, I am beginning to think he is formed incorrectly!!). I am praying that my DH will jump in and help clean this week.

I think I can't wait for the day AFTER Christmas...

Hijack over. Thank you for allowing me to vent. Carry on.

I have a SIL like that (she is a SAHM with one girl child at home). Ohhh, everything she has to do is such agony. My sister told her off one day, saying "yeah, I have to do all that too, AND I have to work full time." Haven't heard as many whines from that side of the family since.