Menu

Bunk Beds...

Our Ikea bed has a huge warning on it that says that kids need to be 6, so that's our rule (it's nice to point to the warning and say "see? it says you have to be 6.").

We do have additional rules about it. No more than one person on the top bunk at a time. And anyone sleeping up there has to sleep with their head away from the ladder. I used to be a camp counselor, and the scariest night was the one when I woke up out of bed catching a kid who was sliding out of their upper bunk headfirst, sound asleep. After that, all kids in my cabins slept with their feet towards the opening. They would still slide out of the opening, but they'd come out feet first which made a huge difference!

:)

At what age did you allow your children to sleep on a top bunk?

A month shy of 6 years. However, the younger sibling does crawl up there, too, but is very cautious.

Apparently most accidents happen with kids less than 6 or over 18.

I gave strict warnings about "horseplay" on bunk beds, and my kids have listened. There's also a giant, ominous sticker warning the same, in three languages.

I haven't had anyone fall out of the top bunk, but there were two roll-outs from the bottom bunk before I returned a rail (separately installed plasticky sort).

At the beginning, I did worry about going up and down in the night, but it never became much of an issue, esp once they got used to the ladder.