Menu

Dr. Hive: rash on dd9's face

Update in message 15.

-------+---

This rash is bumpy but skin colored and covers most of her face. It doesn't hurt, nor does it itch, nor is it on other parts of her body. She's also complaining of a stomache but that may be a result of her dairy intolerance which we normally restrict. Anyway, the rash is really weird looking and makes her look very pale.

It looks like a texture rather than a rash but it is definitely bumpy.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

post-678-13535085901154_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mandamom

It is very hard to see the rash in that picture. However, from what I can see, DS5 had a rash like that for quite a while and I later found out that it was due to strep. His was very bumpy as well.

Thanks for that. I'm considering strep which she had a month or two ago. I agree the rash is very difficult to see, it is more a texture than anything else.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

My first thought was strep, since we just got over that and I remembered seeing info about a rash. But, when I just looked it up, it didn't really seem to fit. I kept finding scarlet rashes described with strep. Though, I know Internet diagnosis don't always show the whole picture. Since I had strep AND a respiratory virus, I waited too many days to go in since the online symptom list says you DON'T have cold symptoms with strep.

Does she have any new symptoms?

My first thought was strep, since we just got over that and I remembered seeing info about a rash. But, when I just looked it up, it didn't really seem to fit. I kept finding scarlet rashes described with strep. Though, I know Internet diagnosis don't always show the whole picture. Since I had strep AND a respiratory virus, I waited too many days to go in since the online symptom list says you DON'T have cold symptoms with strep.

Does she have any new symptoms?

No new symptom.s. she has a doctor appointment on Monday for her yearly check so I don't want to take her in early unless I have to.

Really could be step. Or could be as simple as eczema. Really need a dr. to take a look at it. Hold off until Monday if she's doing ok and you feel comfortable with that, but take her in if she gets more symptoms; that's what I would do.

(I'm not a nurse or a dr, ymmv, and all that. :D)

Scarlet fever. She'll need another course of abx.

Does the rash turn white when you touch it? Does it feel a bit like sandpaper? That's very typical of scarlet fever. It will begin to spread all over her body, but it won't cause many symptoms except for some mild itching. She may get a strawberry tongue...red and bumpy. She'll also probably have all the other typical strep throat symptoms as well.

Don't worry...Scarlet Fever is only strep throat with a rash. It is no more serious. It just means that your dd's body is reacting to the strep toxins. However, expect the rash to linger for about two weeks before it begins to peel...much like a sunburn. Sorry she seems to have caught a bit of an antibiotic-resistant strep bug. It's pretty common nowadays, however.

Scarlet fever. She'll need another course of abx.

Does the rash turn white when you touch it? Does it feel a bit like sandpaper? That's very typical of scarlet fever. It will begin to spread all over her body, but it won't cause many symptoms except for some mild itching. She may get a strawberry tongue...red and bumpy. She'll also probably have all the other typical strep throat symptoms as well.

Don't worry...Scarlet Fever is only strep throat with a rash. It is no more serious. It just means that your dd's body is reacting to the strep toxins. However, expect the rash to linger for about two weeks before it begins to peel...much like a sunburn. Sorry she seems to have caught a bit of an antibiotic-resistant strep bug. It's pretty common nowadays, however.

I'm would not be surprised if it was strep. I just thought that the rash usually presented first with a red rash on the torso (which she doesn't have) and instead she has skin colored bumpiness on her face. So, it doesn't turn white anymore than her skin would if I pressed on it.

If she had presented with the rash on the body first I would have figured it out a couple of days ago or whenever the rash first appeared. It is a little frustrating because I'd like her to be feeling better sooner than later.

With the low fever starting, I wouldn't doubt that the scarlet rash might present on her body tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks so much for your opinion. I really appreciate it.

BTW, she was on Amoxicillan a few months ago (someone asked earlier in the thread), which we've always had great luck with.

So, is it not red at all on her face? That's not typical, but it doesn't mean it isn't Scarlet Fever. Kiddos often will present atypical symptoms...much to the doctor's (and parents) chagrin. :glare: However, I am by no means trying to diagnose your dd over a message board. The only decent advice I can offer is to take her to the pediatrician tomorrow.

It could also be Fifth's disease (a self-limiting virus that won't require abx)...hard to see the rash in the photo. However, that rash tends to give a "slapped cheek" appearance and looks lacy when it shows up on the rest of the body. Your doc will be able to diagnose that by appearance. She may have what seems like cold symptoms if it's Fifth's. Crankiness, low-grade fever, non-specific viral achiness, etc.

Now, if adults get it, they can have weird arthritic symptoms that travel from one set of joints to the next over a period of several months. I thought I'd actually sprained an ankle before I figured out I'd contracted Fifth's from my kids. :glare: Not pleasant...so I hope if that's what she has...you don't get it.

We've had fifths before my dh got it the worst so I knew it wasn't that.

Doc seems to think it is diet related , which we had already talked about making some changes. We're going to either cut back or eliminate wheat if not gluten. Based on our family I think the problem might be wheat but if I have to i'll do the gluten, too.

Thanks for your help.

We've had fifths before my dh got it the worst so I knew it wasn't that.

Doc seems to think it is diet related , which we had already talked about making some changes. We're going to either cut back or eliminate wheat if not gluten. Based on our family I think the problem might be wheat but if I have to i'll do the gluten, too.

Thanks for your help.

DD5 gets a red, bumpy, raised rash when she has milk products. She is mildly allergic, but every once in a while we will let her have some pizza and her face will break out the next day. It lasts for a day or so and then goes away. She will also get a bit of rash on the inside crease of her elbow. A touch of cortisone cream helps on her arm if it gets itchy.