Menu

Abeka or Rod and Staff complete curriculum for elementary grades?

Shanaudria

If you had to chose: Abeka or Rod and Staff for elementary grades 3-6  

1. 1. If you had to chose: Abeka or Rod and Staff for elementary grades 3-6

• Abeka
    • Rod and Staff
    • Mixture of both
    • Neither

If there were do-overs, I'd vote again, lol.

I voted for a mixture but after a nanosecond, when I actually saw the grade levels you were asking about, I realized I should have voted "all R&S."

ABeka's phonics/learn-to-read instruction is superior to R&S's, IMHO, so if you'd said 1st-3rd, that would be the mixture: ABeka for reading, R&S for everything else.

However, for 3-6, I'd choose R&S for everything, hands down.

Ok, I wouldn't use R&S's health, but then I tend not to use a published text for that. Ok, so we're still all R&S. :D

I voted neither.

I thought Abeka was way too geared for a classroom and R&S just bored us to tears. What works for one doesnt for another though.

If I HAD to choose one, it would be Abeka simply because R&S was so black and white and had ALOT of work to it.

If there were do-overs, I'd vote again, lol.

I voted for a mixture but after a nanosecond, when I actually saw the grade levels you were asking about, I realized I should have voted "all R&S."

ABeka's phonics/learn-to-read instruction is superior to R&S's, IMHO, so if you'd said 1st-3rd, that would be the mixture: ABeka for reading, R&S for everything else.

However, for 3-6, I'd choose R&S for everything, hands down.

Ok, I wouldn't use R&S's health, but then I tend not to use a published text for that. Ok, so we're still all R&S. :D

I'm pretty fond of the Pathway Reader phonics, and it is very similar to R&S in style but without the intensive bible instruction. I prefer to use a resource more congruent with my own faith for bible studies. We use Pathway along with R&S for everything else and I am pleased. Not sure yet how I will feel once we get past sixth grade as we haven't gotten that far with it yet. Schoolaid has some pretty good health texts, and I found them on one of the R&S distributor websites.

Just my two cents.

I'm trying to think of a situation where one would have to make that choice...

I voted neither. I'd be willing to use some parts possibly, but would be incredibly bored if I tried to use all of one. Like others, I'd utilize the library, free books online, etc. There are plenty of good curricula same price or cheaper than those two that I would choose instead.

I tried to use only one company for all of our curriculum one year....boring! That said..I would use R and S simply because I could reuse the material for all of the kids. But..I would also use MEP Math because it is free and would help with mental math teaching. I would also supplement with tons of library books for history and science topics to make it more interesting and to add variety. My kids and I both burned out super quickly with only one textbook publisher.

HTH,

Penny

Both publishers have anti-Catholic views, so on that basis alone I would never use them.

I have never noticed any anti-Catholic stuff, I will have to look better. I do have discussions at times about how a particular view we encounter in the text is not one we share and why but it hasn't been that much of a distraction. In fact I sort of think of it as introducing some diversity and giving us some insight into that particular cultural group.

Although it IS somewhat ironic that a Unitarian is using a Mennonite text to introduce diversity to her offspring.........my kids hang out with the druids, the yogi, and the lady who worships the Norse gods, but the Mennonite faith is completely unfamiliar :lol:

I have never noticed any anti-Catholic stuff, I will have to look better. I do have discussions at times about how a particular view we encounter in the text is not one we share and why but it hasn't been that much of a distraction. In fact I sort of think of it as introducing some diversity and giving us some insight into that particular cultural group.

Although it IS somewhat ironic that a Unitarian is using a Mennonite text to introduce diversity to her offspring.........my kids hang out with the druids, the yogi, and the lady who worships the Norse gods, but the Mennonite faith is completely unfamiliar :lol:

It's my understanding that the newer R&S books have been edited of anti-Catholic (and anti-various-other-religions) references. However, they're still selling tracts such as this one which contain anti-Catholic rhetoric ("left the Catholic priesthood to follow Christ" :001_huh:). I'm all for cultural diversity, but not at the expense of bashing my religion.