Menu

Schleich, Safari, etc: Where to buy?

My dd (7) really, really, really wants some of these plastic animal figures for Christmas.

She has Playmobil safari animals and I'd prefer to add to that, but she's adamant that she wants "the other kind, that don't move."

But goodness they're expensive! I think she's imagining a SET, and she'll be disappointed with the number I can buy in the price range I'm planning ($20-ish).

Plus she wants "families" - a mother and father, or a mother and a baby -- a couple of a kind, but not identical, KWIM?

I found a bucket set from Animal Planet online last night -- but multiple reviewers pointed out that the animals have warnings on them that they contain LEAD. Blech. And EEK since we have a mouthy toddler in the house!

So where do I go to get her what she wants at a price I can afford?

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Safari is sold at Michael's and Hobby Lobby, and you can buy them for 40-50% off, depending on the coupon.

For instance, I just bought this set at Hobby Lobby for about $5 (40% off $8). http://www.amazon.com/Safari-Ltd-Farm-Babies-Toob/dp/B000GZED98/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1323789879&sr=8-3

(We are collecting farm animals for a Montessori Phonetic Farm.)

Edited by eloquacious

We buy our Schleich at Meijer, Target, Toys R Us, and Tractor Supply. I've seen Safari Ltd sold at Michaels. :)

Safari is sold at Michael's and Hobby Lobby, and you can buy them for 40-50% off, depending on the coupon.

For instance, I just bought this set at Hobby Lobby for about $5 (40% off $8). http://www.amazon.com/Safari-Ltd-Farm-Babies-Toob/dp/B000GZED98/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1323789879&sr=8-3

(We are collecting farm animals for a Montessori Phonetic Farm.)

I've got two valid Michaels' coupons right now so this sounds like an excellent option!

You can buy the Toobz from Safari. They are smaller than the normal figures but you could get a bunch of figures for $20ish. I've been looking on ebay for some used sets and haven't found too many in my price range but I think the animal sets are cheaper. I'm looking for princesses, fairies, elves, and unicorns. You may also want to look at Bullyland figures. They are a little cheaper and I've seen them on clearance at a few places. The place I linked to above is just one store I've been looking at that has been a little cheaper overall. (Go to the clearance page to see the clearance figures. I don't think they show up on the page I linked to.)

Edited by Paige

You can buy the Toobz from Safari. They are smaller than the normal figures but you could get a bunch of figures for $20ish. I've been looking on ebay for some used sets and haven't found too many in my price range but I think the animal sets are cheaper. I'm looking for princesses, fairies, elves, and unicorns. You may also want to look at Bullyland figures. They are a little cheaper and I've seen them on clearance at a few places. The place I linked to above is just one store I've been looking at that has been a little cheaper overall. (Go to the clearance page to see the clearance figures. I don't think they show up on the page I linked to.)

I've looked at the Toobs online but can't seem to visualize the actual size of the animals based on that. Maybe I can get to Michael's soon.

I wasn't familiar with Bullyland - thanks for the link.

Has anyone had any experience buying used?

Gosh- we have been buying Shleich, Safari, and Papo for awhile but I always go to the ridiculously expensive Learning Store and buy a fortune for them. WHY oh WHY did I not think of Michaels and their coupons?!?!?!?

I just spent $40 at that darn Learning Store today on additional figures for them..... :glare:

We usually find sets of Schleich animals on sale at Target, but not this time of year. We bought a little Dalmatian family for about $10, with two adults and three puppies. We also have a farm set with baby animals, and a separate farm animal set. Usually the sets are cheaper than individual animals, but they're still not cheap. Most of our individual animals have been purchased by the children with gift cards.

• 9 years later...

I buy my Schleich online at these 2 shops because they are usually the cheapest and they always ship really fast.  They have most of the animals and I find that the in-store shops usually charge full retail price but online shops tend to frequently discount.   I have never had a problem with either of these online shops:

Schleich at www.toyanimalshop.com  they sell other brands too

or

Schleich at www.schleichtoystore.com because they only sell Schleich