Menu

I'm going to follow dh on his business trip to California...

He is going to be gone from 4-5 months and there was noway I was going to be left alone for such a long time. So, me and the kids are tagging along.

His job will be paying for his room, so I was able to find a small condo on the beach that was affordable.

The really cool thing is...we are about to start Winter Promise Sea and Sky..a history study with nauticle themes, and a science theme of oceanography (plus I'm adding in Marine Biology)...and we will literally be about 5 minutes from the Ocean Institute in Dana Point, plus Whale and dolphin watching, tide pool studies will all at our finger tips. I am soooo excited about it!

This Texas girl is trying reall, really hard not to think about earthquakes and wildfires and mudslides (Oh my!). And then I hear that California gets these littyle baby tsunamis ...and have had ONE really big one before! ACK! At least I won't have to worry as much about tornados and hurricanes.

So are any of you Orange County California ladies anywhere near Dana Point?

I am in San Diego, you can rest easy we havent had any earthquakes lately. I dont think they frequent Dana Point. Wildfires different story. That again is inland thing, it doesnt get close to beach.

Matter of fact, twice we evacuated in four yrs. and we went to the beach.

No mudslides, because no rain til much later in year. You are going to be fine. Dana Point is nice . Enjoy.

Now I would like to live back east, but scared of tornadoes and hurricanes,

Go figure,

Jeannette

It's probably one of the nicest places you could possibly go for 5 - 6 months. There is so much to do - you will never tire of it. The weather will be an utter delight, and you are going to have a ball!

:iagree: While you're there, please go have an In-and-Out burger for me! ;):D

He is going to be gone from 4-5 months and there was noway I was going to be left alone for such a long time. So, me and the kids are tagging along.

His job will be paying for his room, so I was able to find a small condo on the beach that was affordable.

The really cool thing is...we are about to start Winter Promise Sea and Sky..a history study with nauticle themes, and a science theme of oceanography (plus I'm adding in Marine Biology)...and we will literally be about 5 minutes from the Ocean Institute in Dana Point, plus Whale and dolphin watching, tide pool studies will all at our finger tips. I am soooo excited about it!

This Texas girl is trying reall, really hard not to think about earthquakes and wildfires and mudslides (Oh my!). And then I hear that California gets these littyle baby tsunamis ...and have had ONE really big one before! ACK! At least I won't have to worry as much about tornados and hurricanes.

So are any of you Orange County California ladies anywhere near Dana Point?

We've been to the Ocean Institue 3 years in a row! The kids always love it. The area is beautiful. I've lived here all my life, don't worry about mudslides, or any weather besides sunny and bright. REALLY!

Oh the flip side, I want dh to have a job that takes him fun places for 4-5 months and pays for it! His current trips include mexico and bakersfield, neither place he thinks is good for the kids or I.

So what preps do you have to do to leave your own house for that long? I can't imagine what I'd do with the animals and utility bills that come with a house.

What a great extended vacation for you! Have fun!:auto:

We've been to the Ocean Institue 3 years in a row! The kids always love it. The area is beautiful. I've lived here all my life, don't worry about mudslides, or any weather besides sunny and bright. REALLY!

Oh the flip side, I want dh to have a job that takes him fun places for 4-5 months and pays for it! His current trips include mexico and bakersfield, neither place he thinks is good for the kids or I.

So what preps do you have to do to leave your own house for that long? I can't imagine what I'd do with the animals and utility bills that come with a house.

What a great extended vacation for you! Have fun!:auto:

I've got 4 cats and a dog so I'm having a wonderful lady who loves pets come and care for them for me. She is being so generous and has offered to come every day! My only worry is that a hurricane will come through and then what!?

As far as utility bills I think we can take care of most of them online. And of course we will have to get someone to get the mail and mow the grass. I've got this growing list of things to take care of before we leave.

I need to look into the Ocean Institute a little more now that we are 99.9% certain that this is a for sure thing. I know they have some cool stuff but I'm not exactly sure what or how much everything is.

Thanks!

Now I would like to live back east, but scared of tornadoes and hurricanes,

Go figure,

Jeannette

I'm scared to death of tornadoes! And hurricanes spawn them soooooo....

This was one of the main reasons I decided to go to CA and risk earthquakes. No way was dh gonna leave me here during hurrcane season. :D

It's probably one of the nicest places you could possibly go for 5 - 6 months. There is so much to do - you will never tire of it. The weather will be an utter delight, and you are going to have a ball!

You make it sound really great! :) Thanks!

the Ocean Institute in Dana Point, plus Whale and dolphin watching, tide pool studies will all at our finger tips. I am soooo excited about it!

Dana Point is awesome and quaint. You will enjoy it I'm sure. I don't think much happens there in regards to fires, earthquakes and mudslides.

Don't worry. It's also not far at all from everything San Diego has to offer. You can also maybe go visit La Brea tar pits.

There is also a book that you can get called "Fun and Educational Places to go with Kids and Adults"

Hope that this helps! Enjoy your stay here.

You non-Californians crack me up! All across the country, most people deal w/ tornadoes and hurricanes every year. We only have earthquakes about every 20 years. I had an uncle who lived in Indiana and he flat out refused to come out here for fear of earthquakes. Now wildfires...that's a different story. :D

If you get a chance, head one town south to San Clemente and try Sonny's Restaurant. It's my all-time favorite Italian place. Great beaches too! Try stand up paddling.

Dana Point is awesome and quaint. You will enjoy it I'm sure. I don't think much happens there in regards to fires, earthquakes and mudslides.

Don't worry. It's also not far at all from everything San Diego has to offer. You can also maybe go visit La Brea tar pits.

There is also a book that you can get called "Fun and Educational Places to go with Kids and Adults"

I'd never heard of the tar pits. I looked them up and they look very interesting. We'll have to plan a visit.

Thanks for the book title!

In-N-Out Burger

Yes! If you like grilled onions ask for: A double double animal style:D

Yummy!

Double double animal style? This is a California thing, right? Just some of the weirdness I need to get used to? LOL

I'll be sure and check the place out. Thanks!

Rhonda,

You might want to try Sea World and Scripps Institute, I think thats the name it is in La Jolla.

They have wonderful summer programs and Sea World has great tours.

Jeannette

I've never heard of the Scripps Institute. I'm going to go check it out. I'm hoping to go to Sea World too...but then we have one around here (Texas), so maybe not.

Thanks for the ideas!

Double double animal style? This is a California thing, right? Just some of the weirdness I need to get used to? LOL

I'll be sure and check the place out. Thanks!

hold oh now-- back that truck up.. did you just call us Californians weird?

hummmm...... personally we go protein style around here.. well I do, dh does animal fries with his animal burger... :tongue_smilie:

Julie. .what version of Fun Places book do you have? If you have the new version, check out the recommendations on the front page!! :tongue_smilie:, btw. Susan, the author, is a friend of mine. She is the most amazing sweetest organized homeschooling mom ever!

And shes online. 99% of what is in the book, can be found at Funplaces.com :auto:

The Birch Aquarium at Scripps. It used to be called Scripps Aquarium and is still affiliated with the Scripps Institute.

It is in La Jolla, which is in the northern part of San Diego. I grew up in the southern part of San Diego and my high school was in La Jolla, so it's not that far.

I don't live there anymore. But every time we visit San Diego, we visit the Birch Aquarium. Excellent place for homeschoolers --- or any curious kid!

We are going to the Getty Villa in Malibu this summer. I haven't been there in 20 years! There are two Getty Museums now, and I recommend both of them. When you look them up, they will both be on the same webpage. J. Paul Getty was so wealthy that it is free to visit the museums.

Have fun!

I've never heard of the Scripps Institute. I'm going to go check it out. I'm hoping to go to Sea World too...but then we have one around here (Texas), so maybe not.

Thanks for the ideas!

Not all Sea Worlds are created equal :-) Of course you should go to California's.

We always enjoyed Scripps. Also, the tide pools at Point Loma were lots of fun. Oh, and if you're there in the fall (or spring, really) you can go to the Threshing Bee at the Vista Antique Gas and Steam Engine Museum. We loved doing that.