Menu

Anyone have the newest iPhone and want to tell me about it? Thinking of it for DH...

He currently has an iPhone 3. I think he would love the thing where you talk to the phone. Can you tell I'm technologically illiterate? :tongue_smilie: I have a friend who asked the phone if there was a God and it told her she needed to ask someone more qualified. Sounds like a true smart phone! :lol:

I'm :bigear: if anyone wants to chime in about the new features.

I never had the old iphone, the newest (4S) is my first smart phone, so I can't compare, but I LOVE it!

I can talk my text messages and not have to type them out. I can ask it to find me something and it will (usually, if it can.)

I got frustrated with Siri yesterday and said, "you are a moron!" She replied, "Now now Dawn!" :lol:

I never had the old iphone, the newest (4S) is my first smart phone, so I can't compare, but I LOVE it!

I can talk my text messages and not have to type them out. I can ask it to find me something and it will (usually, if it can.)

I got frustrated with Siri yesterday and said, "you are a moron!" She replied, "Now now Dawn!" :lol:

:lol::lol::lol: SOLD!!!! With the first post! You have got some skills! :lol:

I love my new phone too... mostly because of Siri! It is so great to have it remind me of those little things that I think of and then forget!

I think DH would really benefit from the reminders. "Your wife asked you to pick up some milk on the way home." :tongue_smilie:

Mine is a 4, but DH just got the 4S and LOVES the Siri feature. He uses it a lot and says it does amazingly well with word recognition. I hear great things about the camera too.

The camera being improved is a big one because it's the only camera DH has and he takes lots of pictures, not always of the best quality on his current phone.

OK, so I have a question. Don't know if anyone can answer it. If I want to surprise him with the 4S, how do I do that. I mean, it won't work. It's not like the old phone where you could just unscrew the back and switch chips. :lol: So, the idea of him going to sleep on Christmas Eve with his 3 and waking up to a working 4S won't work, right?

OK, so I have a question. Don't know if anyone can answer it. If I want to surprise him with the 4S, how do I do that. I mean, it won't work. It's not like the old phone where you could just unscrew the back and switch chips. :lol: So, the idea of him going to sleep on Christmas Eve with his 3 and waking up to a working 4S won't work, right?

My mom's new phone came in last week and she had to sync it and do set up before she switched to the new one. I would think you could just wrap up the new phone for him and let him do the set-up after he opens it.

It depends on where you purchase it.

If you get it in a retail store, such as your wireless carrier store or an Apple store, or even Best Buy/Target etc...they will activate it right then and there. There's not going to be a surprise factor in that gift.

If you order it online at Apple.com or from the website of your wireless provider, they ship it to you partially activated but you have to complete the activation process at home, and until you do, it doesn't work. This would be ideal for the "open Christmas morning" gift.

But here's your bigger problem.

Inventory for the iPhone 4s is still almost IMPOSSIBLE to find.

Here's some options:

-Order it online from your carrier's website. I've heard shipping is 4-6 weeks at this point but you'd want to verify for sure.

-Order it online from Apple.com (your best option for that surprise gift), shipping is 1-2 weeks with another 6 days or so to arrive at your door. Last week was the deadline for iPhone 4s orders to be guaranteed for Christmas delivery. You are looking at the week after Christmas as this point.

-Reserve your iPhone at Apple.com to be picked up in your local Apple store. Reservations open at 9 p.m. each night (your time) and sell out within minutes. If you are lucky to get a reservation, you'd go to the store the next day and get your iPhone. Many people try night after night and are not able to get one due to very limited inventory in the Apple stores. But others are having luck, so it just depends on your area.

-Try to get at a local retailer..ie Best Buy, Target, or even your wireless provider store. I'd call before I drove down though...you are apt to find they don't have it.

The 16GB is the one that is the hardest to find, as it's the more affordable one.

HTH

My mom's new phone came in last week and she had to sync it and do set up before she switched to the new one. I would think you could just wrap up the new phone for him and let him do the set-up after he opens it.

Cool! Thanks!

It depends on where you purchase it.

If you get it in a retail store, such as your wireless carrier store or an Apple store, or even Best Buy/Target etc...they will activate it right then and there. There's not going to be a surprise factor in that gift.

If you order it online at Apple.com or from the website of your wireless provider, they ship it to you partially activated but you have to complete the activation process at home, and until you do, it doesn't work. This would be ideal for the "open Christmas morning" gift.

But here's your bigger problem.

Inventory for the iPhone 4s is still almost IMPOSSIBLE to find.

Here's some options:

-Order it online from your carrier's website. I've heard shipping is 4-6 weeks at this point but you'd want to verify for sure.

-Order it online from Apple.com (your best option for that surprise gift), shipping is 1-2 weeks with another 6 days or so to arrive at your door. Last week was the deadline for iPhone 4s orders to be guaranteed for Christmas delivery. You are looking at the week after Christmas as this point.

-Reserve your iPhone at Apple.com to be picked up in your local Apple store. Reservations open at 9 p.m. each night (your time) and sell out within minutes. If you are lucky to get a reservation, you'd go to the store the next day and get your iPhone. Many people try night after night and are not able to get one due to very limited inventory in the Apple stores. But others are having luck, so it just depends on your area.

-Try to get at a local retailer..ie Best Buy, Target, or even your wireless provider store. I'd call before I drove down though...you are apt to find they don't have it.

The 16GB is the one that is the hardest to find, as it's the more affordable one.

HTH

Very helpful information. Thank you! I was thinking the 32GB but I would do 64GB if it means I can get it on time. It serves as his iPod and camera and he loves apps so the more memory the better.

ETA: OK, it looks like a moot point about getting it for Christmas because only my line is eligible for a new phone. His line will be eligible for the lower price on the iPhone in early January. I find that extremely obnoxious. :glare:

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

I love mine! My favorite feature is the reminder. I can tell Siri to remind me of things that I think of when I'm out of the hosue and don't have pen and paper to write it down.

Just yesterday I asked Siri to remind me to pay the egg lady, write a thank you note for a gift, and a few other things. I set it to remind me at a time I knew I'd be home and could either do it right then or write it on my to do list.

I think he'll love it!

Print off a picture of it and wrap it in a gift box with a note saying "coming in mid-January."

Great idea! I think I'll put that in his stocking...oooh or maybe go ahead and buy him the Otterbox for it with a note. He will need a new one anyway and that will be the perfect vehicle. Thanks for the idea!

I love mine! My favorite feature is the reminder. I can tell Siri to remind me of things that I think of when I'm out of the hosue and don't have pen and paper to write it down.

Just yesterday I asked Siri to remind me to pay the egg lady, write a thank you note for a gift, and a few other things. I set it to remind me at a time I knew I'd be home and could either do it right then or write it on my to do list.

I think he'll love it!

I think he will love it too! Thanks!

LOVE SIRI!!! I just ordered my phone last week from AT&T online (upgrade) and it was in my hands within 24 hours! I previously had been told it would be up to a 3 week wait to receive it once ordered. Not true for me anyway. Next day service. It is AWESOME!!!!!

LOVE SIRI!!! I just ordered my phone last week from AT&T online (upgrade) and it was in my hands within 24 hours! I previously had been told it would be up to a 3 week wait to receive it once ordered. Not true for me anyway. Next day service. It is AWESOME!!!!!

Good to know. I'm sad that I can't get it for the best price until after the new year though. I don't see why they can't just do it for his line. I don't want a new phone for my line. :glare:

Good to know. I'm sad that I can't get it for the best price until after the new year though. I don't see why they can't just do it for his line. I don't want a new phone for my line. :glare:

If you really want to give it to him buy it on your number and then just switch phones. You would need to verify with your carrier that this is okay. I am with Sprint and know for sure they allow this because we've done it before. We just bought the phone we wanted with my updgrade and then went to Sprint and told them to switch and assign the newer phone to dh's number and the older one to mine. Then 6 monhs later when he was eligible we did the same thing again to upgrade mine. It's a few extra steps but if you really want something to wrap up it will do the trick.

If you really want to give it to him buy it on your number and then just switch phones. You would need to verify with your carrier that this is okay. I am with Sprint and know for sure they allow this because we've done it before. We just bought the phone we wanted with my updgrade and then went to Sprint and told them to switch and assign the newer phone to dh's number and the older one to mine. Then 6 monhs later when he was eligible we did the same thing again to upgrade mine. It's a few extra steps but if you really want something to wrap up it will do the trick.

Cool! Thanks for this! I'll definitely ask. He just absolutely can't switch phone numbers because I'm pretty sure he's got something like half a million contacts :tongue_smilie: (compared to my dozen or so :lol:).

My parents have switched phones like this many times. They really don't care who has what phone as long as you have a data plan for it

Thanks.

Out of curiosity, is there anyone who can compare carriers? DH was thinking of switching and I don't want to stay married to AT&T if Verizon or Sprint have better service. We can't break up with AT&T until April though, so that complicates matters. Geez, and then he would have to switch phone numbers anyway so now this is getting too complicated. :lol:

Well I received mine yesterday because he bought it for me at the apple store and it was already receiving phone calls on his way home rendering my old phone not a phone anymore, does that make sense? Anyway, all I had to do to use it for everything was restore it from the last back up of my old phone and tweak the new settings. I love Siri already, she is so polite and helpful! DH got the new phone right after it came out and he doesn't type anything anymore. He is always sending me texts that he spoke to me rather than typing them. He is in love, I think, with Siri.

Well I received mine yesterday because he bought it for me at the apple store and it was already receiving phone calls on his way home rendering my old phone not a phone anymore, does that make sense? Anyway, all I had to do to use it for everything was restore it from the last back up of my old phone and tweak the new settings. I love Siri already, she is so polite and helpful! DH got the new phone right after it came out and he doesn't type anything anymore. He is always sending me texts that he spoke to me rather than typing them. He is in love, I think, with Siri.

Has he told Siri that he loves her? She has some funny reactions. Also, have him ask her to marry him.

Has he told Siri that he loves her? She has some funny reactions. Also, have him ask her to marry him.

I will, because I think he would love that :). He showed me a very funny youtube video about Siri that I can't find now which was hilarious! It had the couple fighting with Siri caught in the middle and at the end she is working hard to help these two humans. Much funnier if I can find the link...

I love the idea of speaking texts. He has a hands-free speaker-phone type deal in his car but prefers to text most people. Being able to do that hands-free would be incredible for him, especially as using cell phones while driving is illegal on military installations.

:lol:

I will, because I think he would love that :). He showed me a very funny youtube video about Siri that I can't find now which was hilarious! It had the couple fighting with Siri caught in the middle and at the end she is working hard to help these two humans. Much funnier if I can find the link...

Oh, please do! That sounds hilarious! :lol:

Cool! Thanks for this! I'll definitely ask. He just absolutely can't switch phone numbers because I'm pretty sure he's got something like half a million contacts :tongue_smilie: (compared to my dozen or so :lol:).

He can save his contacts to his chip and then when he gets the new phone for Christmas, he just has to call the phone company and switch out the chips. My husband took my old IPhone and just switched chips, called the carrier (AT&T) and they activated my old IPhone on his line, his contacts came up on that phone. HTH

I love the idea of speaking texts. He has a hands-free speaker-phone type deal in his car but prefers to text most people. Being able to do that hands-free would be incredible for him, especially as using cell phones while driving is illegal on military installations.

:lol:

Oh, please do! That sounds hilarious! :lol:

The texting with Siri is not completely hands free, you do have to hit the speaker button and hit "done" after you speak the words and hit "send". Not something I would do while driving.

Edited by Faith
this is not correct info... read futher down to get correct info. :)

He can save his contacts to his chip and then when he gets the new phone for Christmas, he just has to call the phone company and switch out the chips. My husband took my old IPhone and just switched chips, called the carrier (AT&T) and they activated my old IPhone on his line, his contacts came up on that phone. HTH

OK, but wait. Talk to me like I'm 5. :D

Will he still have his same phone number? If not, he has to contact everyone in his contacts and ask them to change his info. I know he would really hate to be a bother. Plus, he would worry about losing contacts if they neglected to change his info in their phones.

The texting with Siri is not completely hands free, you do have to hit the speaker button and hit "done" after you speak the words and hit "send". Not something I would do while driving.

Well, that's just sad. Siri can't understand speaker, done, or send? Maybe she's not all she's cracked up to be. :tongue_smilie:

OK, but wait. Talk to me like I'm 5. :D

Will he still have his same phone number? If not, he has to contact everyone in his contacts and ask them to change his info. I know he would really hate to be a bother. Plus, he would worry about losing contacts if they neglected to change his info in their phones.

Oh yes, he would keep the same phone number. Here is in detail how we did it with my husband's old phone. He had a freebie type upgrade phone, didn't like it. He wanted my old IPhone so he saved this contacts to his Sim card (that's the little chip that is usually behind the battery) and then we called AT&T and told them that his line "such and such number" wants to switch out his phone and use my old IPhone. She asked for the NIM number (I believe that was the name) on the Iphone he was going to be using. She instructed me on how to find the number, I read it to her, she did something on her end. She then asked us how much data we wanted on the IPhone for him. You have to keep data on it, lowest package is $15 and higher package is $45. We just got the $25 package per month (plenty for the average user). Then she said we could switch out the chips (Sim card) and we switched them. His contacts were on the IPhone and so was his own number. That was it.

I'd get the IPhone on your line then wrap the phone up, put it under the tree and when he opens it, you can proceed with putting it on his line.

Well, that's just sad. Siri can't understand speaker, done, or send? Maybe she's not all she's cracked up to be. :tongue_smilie:

I can send a text by just touching the phone once on my iPhone. Hold the power button down for two seconds and Siri pops up. Say, "Send a text to _____" She'll ask what you want to say and you say it. Then she asks if you want to send and you say yes. If you want Siri to read it back to you before you send it, you can ask her to do that to make sure it is sending the right thing. (Last week, I sent a message to my son telling him that his dad would be there soon to pick him off! (instead of up! LOL))

I'm not sure if that's legal on base because, technically, you do have to touch the phone once. But, I've done it while driving quite easily and safely. I don't even have to take my eyes off the road. I don't see it as any different than changing the radio station.

Not as far as the texting goes. Not that I know of. I just got my phone last week, I'm still trying to figure it all out myself. Maybe someone else knows this answer better than me. Anyone?

I can send a text by just touching the phone once on my iPhone. Hold the power button down for two seconds and Siri pops up. Say, "Send a text to _____" She'll ask what you want to say and you say it. Then she asks if you want to send and you say yes. If you want Siri to read it back to you before you send it, you can ask her to do that to make sure it is sending the right thing. (Last week, I sent a message to my son telling him that his dad would be there soon to pick him off! (instead of up! LOL))

I'm not sure if that's legal on base because, technically, you do have to touch the phone once. But, I've done it while driving quite easily and safely. I don't even have to take my eyes off the road. I don't see it as any different than changing the radio station.

See, I knew someone knew the answer to her question.... this is great to know! I just love Siri! Thanks for the info. :)

Oh yes, he would keep the same phone number. Here is in detail how we did it with my husband's old phone. He had a freebie type upgrade phone, didn't like it. He wanted my old IPhone so he saved this contacts to his Sim card (that's the little chip that is usually behind the battery) and then we called AT&T and told them that his line "such and such number" wants to switch out his phone and use my old IPhone. She asked for the NIM number (I believe that was the name) on the Iphone he was going to be using. She instructed me on how to find the number, I read it to her, she did something on her end. She then asked us how much data we wanted on the IPhone for him. You have to keep data on it, lowest package is $15 and higher package is $45. We just got the $25 package per month (plenty for the average user). Then she said we could switch out the chips (Sim card) and we switched them. His contacts were on the IPhone and so was his own number. That was it.

I'd get the IPhone on your line then wrap the phone up, put it under the tree and when he opens it, you can proceed with putting it on his line.

Perfection! Thanks!

I don't know if it's legal but that's perfect. I don't see a big difference between that and turning up the radio volume, switching radio stations, turning on windshield wipers, etc. Thanks!

I'm getting kind of excited about it. This would be such a great gift for him. Right now he is totally down in the dumps because they are shutting everything down over there (even porta-potty servicing!!!!!) and he is miserable. I keep asking what would make Christmas perfect for him and he keeps saying just being home, which I know. BUT I want a great gift for him too. He deserves it. :001_wub:

Perfection! Thanks!

I don't know if it's legal but that's perfect. I don't see a big difference between that and turning up the radio volume, switching radio stations, turning on windshield wipers, etc. Thanks!

I'm getting kind of excited about it. This would be such a great gift for him. Right now he is totally down in the dumps because they are shutting everything down over there (even porta-potty servicing!!!!!) and he is miserable. I keep asking what would make Christmas perfect for him and he keeps saying just being home, which I know. BUT I want a great gift for him too. He deserves it. :001_wub:

I agree with both of you, I don't see this texting way any different then switching a radio station. Seems safe enough, that's for sure. I can't wait to try this out on my phone!!! So happy to know it does this too. It does so much more, I haven't even had time to find out about. You will love it!

I agree with both of you, I don't see this texting way any different then switching a radio station. Seems safe enough, that's for sure. I can't wait to try this out on my phone!!! So happy to know it does this too. It does so much more, I haven't even had time to find out about. You will love it!

Ask Siri what she can do for you. There is just SO much!!!

You should be able to. My dh bought me my iPhone 4 for my birthday. He went to Verizon with our account info and bought the phone. I plugged it into my Mac when I opened it, and it was easily activated and synced with iTunes.

Wendi

Here is what happened in our house.

We had cell phones, and had our parents on the account, as well, so we used the 5 phone family limit. The bill was about $120 a month.

Then my dh got me an iPhone, shortly after they came out. We were all skeptics except me because I am a gadget freak. Add $30 a month. A month later HE was no longer a skeptic. Add new iPhone and $30. Then we added texting. Add $10 a month (it was less then). Then we added an iPhone for my son. Add $30 a month. Then we added unlimited texting so we could all text each other. Add $20 a month.

Now our bill runs about $280 a month. My sister and my mom are on it still, but that supposedly adds only $20 to the cost, and it was in the original plan so it's not additional to our original plan. We would like to switch to Verizon but we would lose all the things that are grandfathered in to our early adopter plan and so the additional costs to switch would be at least $50 a month. Not happening.

Taxes are added at every level of this plan. That's where you get the costs that the fees don't account for.

All I am saying is you'd better think through the costs of doing this. :0) To us it is totally worth it (I wish my son had just a phone/text unit, however...we have turned off the internet, you tube and itunes for reasons of parental control. So he really just has a phone/text/iPod unit) because we are out of the house a lot, and I use the maps function like a GPS.

We all have 3s; we are probably going to wait for the 5.

Thanks but we already have two iPhones on the bill. Our rate won't increase. I even asked the AT&T saleswoman about it when I was there earlier this month reactivating DH's phone for when he sets foot back in country. (We saved money by having his # put on hold while he's in Iraq. He's basically been using it as an iTouch/iPod while deployed.) We're still grandfathered in to the unlimited data plan. We just have to pay for the phone. :)

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Here is what happened in our house.

We had cell phones, and had our parents on the account, as well, so we used the 5 phone family limit. The bill was about $120 a month.

Then my dh got me an iPhone, shortly after they came out. We were all skeptics except me because I am a gadget freak. Add $30 a month. A month later HE was no longer a skeptic. Add new iPhone and $30. Then we added texting. Add $10 a month (it was less then). Then we added an iPhone for my son. Add $30 a month. Then we added unlimited texting so we could all text each other. Add $20 a month.

Now our bill runs about $280 a month. My sister and my mom are on it still, but that supposedly adds only $20 to the cost, and it was in the original plan so it's not additional to our original plan. We would like to switch to Verizon but we would lose all the things that are grandfathered in to our early adopter plan and so the additional costs to switch would be at least $50 a month. Not happening.

Taxes are added at every level of this plan. That's where you get the costs that the fees don't account for.

All I am saying is you'd better think through the costs of doing this. :0) To us it is totally worth it (I wish my son had just a phone/text unit, however...we have turned off the internet, you tube and itunes for reasons of parental control. So he really just has a phone/text/iPod unit) because we are out of the house a lot, and I use the maps function like a GPS.

We all have 3s; we are probably going to wait for the 5.

If I understand correctly, your son has an IPhone but you wish he had a regular phone for just phone calls and texting? If so, why don't you just go to Walmart and get one of those AT&T pay as you go phones, switch out the Sims card and have AT&T put that phone on his line, dropping your data all together (no charges)? You will not be deactivating the account so there will be no cancelation fees. But, you will be out from under the monthly data fee associated with the IPhone.

At one time in my past contract, money got tight and I called AT&T to see what my options were to elliminate my monthly $30 data charge and this was their suggestion to me. I ended up not having to do it, but if things had remained tight, that was what I was going to do.

Sorry if I totally misunderstood you. Just trying to help out.:)

Edited by Faith
grammar