Menu

Uncrafty lady wants to attempt to make a doll

Someone recently mentioned Waldorf dolls to me in a Laloopsey doll thread ---so I have been researching those but I am open to all suggestions. I want cheap (if not free:001_smile:) ideas on how to make simple, yet cute, dolls for my girls. You know, yarn hair- maybe button eyes (as long as they don't look creepy:001_huh:), soft huggable bodies.

Nothing fancy. No bells and whistles. Just a simple lovable doll that my girls can grow with. :D

Any patterns or how-to's out there that you recommend?

Oh- and one other thing- any chance I can get three made in time for Christmas???? :tongue_smilie:

Edited to add--- I am about as uncrafty as it gets--- I don't own a sewing machine but would have access to one if needed.

Hi! I've made 1 and 3/4 Waldorf-style dolls (one doesn't have hair yet :001_smile:). Here are some places you can buy patterns, kits and materials:

www.magiccabin.com

www.achildsdream.com

DD's doll was made with a Magic Cabin kit which had very helpful directions and tips.

You may be able to get some Waldorf books with patterns at your library or through interlibrary loan. See the second link above for the title of a pattern book.

Making three by Christmas? Maybe if you didn't do ANYTHING else. (At least, that would have to be my scenario). But you could give them the raw materials for the doll and let them help you make her; that would create a wonderful memory, I think. Depending on their ages, you might want to be selective about what you let them watch -- cutting fabric and hair might give them ideas about "haircuts" for dolly later on!

I really like how DD's doll turned out -- very soft and huggable and sweet. I'm getting ready to make her a new dress today.

HTH!

ETA: It looks like Magic Cabin doesn't carry dollmaking kits anymore, but they do sell the doll pattern ($8) and some materials. A Child's Dream has all you need.

Edited by LAS in LA

Hi! I've made 1 and 3/4 Waldorf-style dolls (one doesn't have hair yet :001_smile:). Here are some places you can buy patterns, kits and materials:

www.magiccabin.com

www.achildsdream.com

DD's doll was made with a Magic Cabin kit which had very helpful directions and tips.

You may be able to get some Waldorf books with patterns at your library or through interlibrary loan. See the second link above for the title of a pattern book.

Making three by Christmas? Maybe if you didn't do ANYTHING else. (At least, that would have to be my scenario). But you could give them the raw materials for the doll and let them help you make her; that would create a wonderful memory, I think. Depending on their ages, you might want to be selective about what you let them watch -- cutting fabric and hair might give them ideas about "haircuts" for dolly later on!

I really like how DD's doll turned out -- very soft and huggable and sweet. I'm getting ready to make her a new dress today.

HTH!

ETA: It looks like Magic Cabin doesn't carry dollmaking kits anymore, but they do sell the doll pattern ($8) and some materials. A Child's Dream has all you need.

Thank you! I really like your idea about involving the girls in the doll making process. Maybe I will ditch the dream about having them done by christmas and focus instead on making happy dollmaking memories

To make three by Christmas, I would really recommend you scale down your dream to something like these:

http://www.thesilverpenny.com/WaldorfBuntingDollFreeProject.html

Then with this experience under your belt, you can set about making "big sisters" for their birthdays :)

I have this book, which has a great range of dolls, but if you search hard enough you could find the info online for free.

Rosie

If you live in western Oregon come on over and I will give you a bunch of Black Apple dolls that I cut out when I made about 100 of them a couple of years ago. I would google Black Apple dolls to get some ideas to personalize whatever doll you make. I got the pattern from Martha Stewart and made it bigger. You can PM me if you decide to make one and can't get good results from the instructions on Martha Stewart, I didn't think much of the instructions, but since I sew I figured it out.

For the non-crafty among us....

My grandmother made us sock-dolls. Start with a pair of socks. With one sock, stuff the toe and tie yarn around it for the head. Stuff the rest of the foot and tie it off for the body. Split the remainder of the sock (the leg part) in half. Fill each half and stitch, glue, or tape shut along the seam for the legs. Cut the other sock off at the foot, fill the leg part and stitch, glue or tape both ends. Attach to body for the arms.

The ones my grandma made had long arms and legs. Here is a link to a site with instructions on how to make little dolls that is even easier.

http://daniellesplace.com/html/SockCraftsforKids.html

I've made the Olive doll from here:

http://www.weewonderfuls.com/store/

It was a lot faster than making a Waldorf doll. I think you could make them in time. They turn out really cute. :) I'm pretty sure I hand-stitched mine, but I can't remember.

There is also a Wee Wonderfuls doll book that may be available at your local library.

Have fun! You can do it!

i cannot sew to save my life, but like you, i really wanted to make some dolls for my kids. i just found an old sheet and folded it in half - then cut out the entire body of the doll (i drew it in pencil first - no pattern). i sewed it all together by hand using small stitches, except for the top of the head - i left that open at the top so i could stuff it (cut up an old pillow). once i added on the yarn for hair, you couldn't see the thread on her head anymore. with my son's doll, i left the stitching on the outside to make it a little more rough & tumbly. with my daughter's, i turned it inside out before stuffing it. i sewed the mouths on with thread, my son's doll was a crooked smile & my daughter's had pink lips. i gave buttons for eyes, and i crocheted some clothes. anyway..considering i don't sew at all, i was very pleased. the cost to make them was free, but if you don't have everything on hand, it would still be very cheap. here are a couple of photos...

boy doll

girl doll front

girl doll back

ETA - if you did choose to try this - sew the mouth & eyes on before you stuff it! :)

Edited by mytwomonkeys

I've made several of these and strung a cord through the arms to make them necklaces. The girls loved them.

To make three by Christmas, I would really recommend you scale down your dream to something like these:

http://www.thesilverpenny.com/Waldor...eeProject.html

Then with this experience under your belt, you can set about making "big sisters" for their birthdays :)

I decided to make a Waldorf doll for one dd, and a wooden dollhouse for her sister, one year in December. Dh was out of town most of the time and the dc went to bed at 6pm, so I had hours every day. I was up til three am Christmas Eve and the dollhouse still doesn't have steps (10 years later.)