Menu

Dr. Hive - Sciatic Nerve pain during pregnancy

Anything the doctor will be able to safely do for this? It's horrible. I'm not sure what I've done to my back. My husband says it sounds like sciatic nerve. I don't recall hurting it but now IT HURTS. Not all the time. I can be walking normally and then BAM! It's crippling it's so horrible and intense. If I lift my left leg the wrong way or move my arm the wrong way... I can't deal with this. I can't sleep because if I move the wrong way, I'm sent jolting in this horrible pain. I'm only 11 weeks along. Please don't tell me that I'll have to endure for my entire pregnancy like this?

Taking it easy isn't an option (this was the advice I found on most websites). I have a husband who travels and two other children, an Italian Greyhound, and a German Shepherd to take care of.

Get thee to a chiropractor! I have dealt with it for many years.

There are some exercises a chiropractor will likely recommend that should be safe for pregnancy AFTER he/she adjusts you.

I pray your pain will vanish as soon as you get off his table - if not right away, it certainly should improve considerably!

Isn't it awful? I've been struggling with my sciatic off and on since my first pregnancy. My doctor said he could prescribe physical therapy for me, and that might help, but who has time for that? So I never went.

Try ice (not heat, even though it may feel good initially!), and stretching helps, too. And, as painful as it is, I've found that it gets even worse if I rest too much, so exercise is helpful, too.

Hope you feel better!

The PT I saw for sciatic pain asked me if I was pregnant (not for many years) or a dancer (not for many MORE years) because my left hip was rolled forward, which was trapping/pinching the nerve, and that was usually something she only saw in one of the two scenarios mentioned. She physically shoved it back. Now, I just do it myself, in a doorway. (awkward, but serviceable)

The PT I saw for sciatic pain asked me if I was pregnant (not for many years) or a dancer (not for many MORE years) because my left hip was rolled forward, which was trapping/pinching the nerve, and that was usually something she only saw in one of the two scenarios mentioned. She physically shoved it back. Now, I just do it myself, in a doorway. (awkward, but serviceable)

Can I ask how you do this? My hips are not aligned well either and I do a Yoga exercise that really seems to help somewhat. I sit in the car so much and also found out that drawing up my left leg helps.

Chiropractor! I had similar with all three of my pregnancies. Finally, with #3, I went to a chiropractor regularly. I had the intense/can't walk pain along with my entire right thigh being numb all the time. With #3 and regular Chiropractic visits, it was MUCH more manageable.

Beth

*sigh*

I was afraid you guys would say that (Chiro).

Between dental visits, frequent OB visits (I go in every two weeks at least because of my last son's medical problems), and a traveling hubby - the Chiro or PT appointments likely would never happen, even if I schedule them :tongue_smilie:

When I was pregnant with my third, I had what I thought was sciatic pain. It turned out to be pelvic girdle pain (they can feel very similar). My midwife recommended a chiropractor as well, but we couldn't afford it. I bought this pregnancy belt, and the relief was immeasurable.

http://www.target.com/p/Best-Prenatal-Cradle/-/A-10535536

It looks really funny, but it was completely worth it. With PGP, your pelvic ligaments are too loose and the looseness and movement causes severe pain in your back and legs. There were nights I couldn't support my weight to walk to the bathroom. The belt helps hold everything together more tightly and redistributes the weight. The discomfort didn't go away entirely, but it was a whole lot better.

I would recommend reading up on pelvic girdle pain, but even if your pain is sciatic, I think the belt is recommended for that as well.

I usually have to drag my children to my OB appointments. My sitter has limited availability.

Frankly, my other appointments are a higher priority. Dental health is a must during pregnancy, and I'm a high risk pregnancy; so my OB appointments are more important. Convincing my 2 year old to sit still for an OB appointment is tough enough (and often doesn't happen).

I'll deal. Not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things. I see my OB tomorrow.

Why not? I'm usually in and out of the chiro in about 10 minutes. Can't you schedule it after your ob visits?

If I were in that much pain, I would make the time to do it. It makes life much easier.

I had sciatica with my first pregnancy. My OB referred me to a physical therapist and they gave me some exercises that really helped.

May I ask both of you to share more details with us? Please? :D

May I ask both of you to share more details with us? Please? :D

If I could remember them, I would! One thing was lying on your back and lifting one leg up with the knee bent at a 90 degree angle, then pushing the leg back with your hands while pressing the opposite direction with your leg - counterpressure? In any event, that pregnancy was longer ago than I'd like to think! :001_huh: