Menu

S/O of PDF curriculum...poll and discussion

ezrabean2005

How much should electronic curriculum cost compared to a physical copy (of the same)?  

1. 1. How much should electronic curriculum cost compared to a physical copy (of the same)?

• More than the hard copy version
    • The same as the hard copy version
    • Less than the hard copy version
    • Other

I voted the same. I'm assuming you can make copies of the pdf for use within your home. Many books don't have that option. Plus, it's instant with no shipping. (I'm also assuming they are consumable workbooks. I would expect to pay less for a non-consumable text.)

I think they should definitely be significantly cheaper...cheaper than the Amazon price too if the item is available on Amazon. The only exception IMO should be workbooks that are consumable--if they're available via PDF they could be priced the same as the print version since you can make as many copies as you need.

I see no reason why it should not cost less because the curriculum company does not have to produce a physical item.

Since I would have to print, I would not accept if an electronic curriculum was as expensive as a printed copy.

Now, if it was an electronic resource that was truly interactive, with videos and animations and scored quizzes etc which could not be duplicated by a book, I would see it of higher value - but a pdf? No way.

I voted less due to little expense involved since not printing hard-copies (paper, ink, binding, packing, shipping, etc.), plus there is no need to give deep discounts to large stores (meaning publisher need not lose money just to have something sold at a large store due to high volume discounts). In addition, there is more money to be made in that there is no resale. I have nothing against publishers/authors making more money to offset the expenses they incur by retailing, but since it is substantial savings it is nice if they shared.

It also bugs me that some Kindle books are higher than the paperback/hardback version (price set by publisher). I've already personally boycotted one publisher for doing so and sent them a letter. I doubt it will change their mind but I really don't want to spend more than a physical version. It makes little sense, to me.

Edited by Myeightkiddies
My sentences are not making any sense today.

Cheaper. No resale value and no expenses of printing (paper etc).

However this doesn't exactly hold for something that is intended to be reused repeatedly (workbook type things) where the easy reproducibility would make me more willing to pay.

:iagree: Exactly.

Vote other. I think if it is something that can be printed and reused multiple times I think it should cost the same. Where the price would equal something close to holding the license to reprint the book whenever you want. If it is not something that can be printed, I think it should cost significantly less.

I wonder... some curricula allow you to photocopy as part of the license. The pdf makes it even easier, but if a workbook is $12 as a pdf and $12 as a physical workbook you can photocopy, it seems like the pdf should still be cheaper. Certainly that's the case with the Scholastic books, which are intended to be photocopied.

I think they should definitely be significantly cheaper...cheaper than the Amazon price too if the item is available on Amazon. The only exception IMO should be workbooks that are consumable--if they're available via PDF they could be priced the same as the print version since you can make as many copies as you need.

I voted cheaper. I'm having to use my printer, my ink, and my paper, after all.

:iagree: Seems like a rip-off to me to price a PDF the same as the physical version of something when the seller is not printing or shipping the item...