Menu

Do you like Blu-Ray?

We have a Blu-Ray player. It actually came from with our TV a couple of years ago.

We don't have very many Blu-Ray movies. They are more $$ and we don't often find it necessary.

So, I am now looking at getting the final Harry Potter movie for Christmas for the kids.

Do I want to spring an extra $10 for the combo pack that includes Blu-Ray?

Dawn

Really?

Hmmmm.......well, do you know WHEN it is coming out?

They want to see the latest HP but they know it isn't out on RedBox yet so they haven't asked to see it any other way. If I could have them watch it either through Red Box or Amazon streaming rental for now, I could potentially wait for this.

Dawn

I didn't because I intend to buy the "definitive" Blu-ray set when it comes out in 2012. It is supposed to have lots of extras?

We love our blu-ray movies and have 6 blu-ray players in our house. We have been buying all of our favorites on blu-ray over time. Anytime there is an option to buy the blu-ray I do. I don't think it's that much more, usually only about $4-5 over the regular DVD cost, but to me that's very worth it. All it took was me seeing the disney movie Cars on blu-ray, it was so much more crisp and there were details I'd never noticed in the regular DVD. It is like the difference between HD and SD television. I much prefer my HD.

Oh and even though I already have a box set of the first 5 HP movies on Blu-ray and the other 3 on individual blu-ray, I'm sure we'll buy the definitive set when it comes out. Then dh and I will keep that and move the other blu-rays to the kids rack for them to have. Right now they get to watch the blu-rays as they like, but they are kept on our shelf, not with the rest of their blu-rays and DVDs.

We've been buying blu-ray, but I don't really see a difference. Dh and ds do though. And my thought is that if blu-ray is where things are going, we might as well give in. One thing to consider is bonus features, and whether or not they're important to you. Very few DVD's come with bonus features these days. They're mostly just on blu-ray now.

ETA: Actually I think digital is where we're headed, but it's probably a long way off before hard copies disappear completely.

We buy Blu-Ray/DVD combo packs when we can for the same reason as Dawn. We have a Blu-Ray player in the house, and it's much nicer than regular DVD. The clarity is amazing. All the little details make it so much more fun.

I do worry about what I'll do with all these movies if everything goes to 3-D or digital, but I guess I'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Do I want to spring an extra $10 for the combo pack that includes Blu-Ray?

Dawn

I buy the combo packs because we do still have a dvd player in another room, as well as in the van. Sometimes one of us wants to watch a movie when no one else does, so that person can play the dvd in the other room (or on the computer, since my laptop is the only one that plays blu-ray).

We have a huge HD Plasma tv and just got a blu-ray player. Frankly I don't notice any difference. For the price of blu-ray movies, I'll rent. I haven't found any movie on blu-ray that is worth the prices they're asking. Perhaps if it's for the family and the entire family enjoys it. But it's just another huge expense for something else that'll be phased out in the future. I guess if it were me I'd buy the regular HD dvd widescreen.

For us, it depends on the movie whether or not we buy Blu-ray. For the kids and Disney movies, I usually get combo packs so we can watch it in the car or our other DVD players too. For visually amazing movies, we get Blu-ray (think Lord of the Rings, Inception, etc.) For movies that visually aren't a big deal, we get DVDs if they are cheaper (like You've Got Mail, most chick-flicks, older movies)

For those who do not notice a difference with Blu ray- Make sure your cords are sized properly! Often the cords that come with the television set are not enough. My bff watched her Blu ray movies for year, always complaining that they were no big deal. They bought a better (bigger) cord, and noticed a huge improvement No more complaining!

How can the cords be the wrong size? Are you talking about the HDMI cable? Isn't that only one size?

Dawn

For those who do not notice a difference with Blu ray- Make sure your cords are sized properly! Often the cords that come with the television set are not enough. My bff watched her Blu ray movies for year, always complaining that they were no big deal. They bought a better (bigger) cord, and noticed a huge improvement No more complaining!

I think by cord size they may mean using composite video (red, blue and green plus red and whote audio) or hdmi( only one size) instead of plain old RCA cord( the standard red, white and yellow that usually comes in the box)

If you use the cords that come in the box you're missing out on the whole HD part that makes blu-ray sharper.

I see. All of ours are through HDMI if they are HD.

Dawn

I think by cord size they may mean using composite video (red, blue and green plus red and whote audio) or hdmi( only one size) instead of plain old RCA cord( the standard red, white and yellow that usually comes in the box)

If you use the cords that come in the box you're missing out on the whole HD part that makes blu-ray sharper.