Menu

Explain this one to me???

3monkeys

After reading a thread earlier about standardized testing, I decided to give my ds8 a reading one. It was the test from Texas public schools. Anyway, my son reads okay but not chapter books and his fluency is yet to be desired. He struggles with simple words yet figures out difficult ones (sometimes). It took him 2 1/2 hours to take test, there was no time limit. He was completely exhausted when done because lots of stories to read and questions to answer. He did the test solo without my help. I sat in on some of it as he read aloud. I noticed he would skip words he didn't know or say something completely wrong but still got answers right. So with all that said, the score came out to 705. The highest score was 670 or higher is Advanced High. I can not even believe it. Out of 49 questions, he got 43 correct. How can this be without fluency? Does 2nd grade just have low expectations for reading? It wasn't super easy. I truly thought he would fall somewhere in the average range. I just don't know how to take this information....can you tell?:tongue_smilie:

I think a lot of grade 2s are probably not fluent readers.

I don't really know anything about this kind of testing, so thake this with a grain of salt, but I would guess the test is designed to have parts that the average, or even high level student won't know. Otherwise there would be no capacity to test the above average students.

But it might be a different kind of test than that.

Yes you are right. It had all levels of abilities.

I guess this whole time I've thought he was behind and struggling. I get discouraged hearing everyone on here say their child is reading at a such and such level at 5 years old. I bought into the fact that something must be wrong. This test has really encouraged me today that if he were put in a ps tomorrow, they might consider him above average. As a homeschooler, I think we all struggle with wondering if our dc is keeping up and if we're doing an okay job. At least I know I struggle! What is funny is my first thought was "Is this test even legitimate"? I will go to bed tonight at peace with where my Ds son is and continue to work on his weaknesses.

Congrats! It sounds like he did great. It encourages me too.

I have one that was a fluent 5 yr old reader. She read fluently and full length novels for older children at that age, and she ate them up. She could read something like a Magic Treehouse on an hour car ride back then. She still inhales books.

My now 2nd grader still doesn't read chapter books and is not what I would call fluent. I think she is progressing nicely, but it is hard not to compare her to what I know- her sis. Thanks for sharing. I have always thought mine was right on track. Who knows? She may be a little "above avg." too on a standardized test.

Just a thanks for posting that your second grader doesn't read chapter books. Your second grader's fluency sounds just like mine, and I always thought she must be just average at best (and possibly below average). It's good to know that she might be doing quite well after all.

http://www.tea.state.tx.us/index3.aspx?id=2147486091&menu_id=793

I had to download a program to run it but it was very easy and straightforward. Instructions are clear on steps to take. The test was the grade 2 TELPASS Reading. he took the test online and then it scored it for me right away. It has an answer key where you can see all questions missed and also Raw score conversion table. Categories are not broken down by grade level but beginner, intermediate, Advanced, advanced high.

I have been bragging on him all day to Dad and grandparents. He's really puffed up right now! I think we struggle so much and he senses my frustration. I'm hoping this new found confidence will actually help his reading soar and get him over the fluency hump!

Wish you all the best as well!

:iagree:

It was not done in one sitting. We just left it on the computer and took an hour break. Then came back to it.

You are so right! There is no 8 year old boy able to sit that long. Even with the break he was spent when it was all over. Mind you, he reads slowly!!

Yes you are right. It had all levels of abilities.

I guess this whole time I've thought he was behind and struggling. I get discouraged hearing everyone on here say their child is reading at a such and such level at 5 years old. I bought into the fact that something must be wrong. This test has really encouraged me today that if he were put in a ps tomorrow, they might consider him above average. As a homeschooler, I think we all struggle with wondering if our dc is keeping up and if we're doing an okay job. At least I know I struggle! What is funny is my first thought was "Is this test even legitimate"? I will go to bed tonight at peace with where my Ds son is and continue to work on his weaknesses.

I am the same way. DD8 is not a natural speller, but her spelling ability is perfect for AAS2. She masters the material and we move through. We don't do a lesson a day. We do a lesson in a week, working 15-20 minutes each day. I hear of 5 or 6yo in levels way higher than her, and I cringe.

I really think she is doing great, though. I see her improving and her writing and dictation are perfect in spelling, near perfect in WWE2. I'm trying not to worry, especially since her narrations are perfect summaries and she has less and less misspellings.

Anyhow, I just know how you feel! :grouphug: I don't often post of where we are at, as many people who post their children are cruising through things faster than us, so it could be that people like us just aren't posting.

Take a look at the Sonlight grade two readers. That will give you an idea of what the average second grader is reading. They include Frog and Toad, not hefty chapter books.

I think it's important to keep an eye on what's developmentally typical, so you will know when your child doesn't need to be doing what another child here is doing. ;)

Anyhow, I just know how you feel! :grouphug: I don't often post of where we are at, as many people who post their children are cruising through things faster than us, so it could be that people like us just aren't posting.

Yup that! I think we as mamas want to emphasis the good and tend to skim over the hard and frustrating! I think the best thing we could do to encourage others is to share our weaknesses and our children's weaknessess. We all have them!