Menu

What would a week long Writing Clinic look like in your house?

I would love to really dig in and work with the kids using Image Grammar, CW Homer/CC, and or WWS for an entire week. We also use MCT Town and Killgallon.

I would love to set it up in a way that wasn't too tedious, but engaged them and created a fun atmosphere of writing, copia skills, possibly reading literature (say... A Christmas Carol) mixed in with writing work.

I know that Image Grammar would do a brilliant job of this if I could bring in the movie selections mixed with the books to show how the zoom in technique works.

I just can't seem to dig into all of this when there are so many other subjects to get to and would love to see what would happen if we did a whole week of writing (and maybe math in the afternoon).

In my house? Well :001_unsure: it would include a whole lot of pouting, possibly some tears, and definitely a whole lot of complaining. :tongue_smilie:

I'm not too sure how the kids would react though. :smilielol5::rofl::smilielol5:

Probably not what you're looking for, huh? ;) But, hey, it's the honest truth.

(I would like to say that I really like your idea and that I can see it working out beautifully, just not with my kids at this time. :()

We did this last year. I think we did just writing and math for two full weeks. It really helped. The concentrated lessons helped me pinpoint some deficits in ds's learning.

I blogged each day of the 10 days. Scroll down to the post entitled Conquering the Dragon of Words where I explain my plan and the daily posts are in reverse order.

I remember this!!! I needed to go back through it though and see if there was anything I could apply to my dc.. thank you for the link!

I think my main goal with this is to get dd10 to start creating sentences that don't ALWAYS start with the subject of the sentence first. I would love to have her begin creating more intricate sentences. We have been learning about participial phrases, gerand phrases, appositives, etc. Now we just need to implement them. I know image grammar has good exercises... things that might help us break up the 'just writing' time. I remember something about watching an excerpt from Indiana Jones and putting it with the written version from the book and seeing how the camera zoomed in and took the information from the book and brought it to life.

I am not concerned right now about essays or getting paragraphs straight.. just creating better sentences. Anyway... hopefully I will come up with something. I would love to hear more suggestions though. I am off to finish reading your writing clinic posts Paula. ;-)

This is a fun idea!!! We've been doing more intensive writing stuff here the last few days, but we've been including grammar (the boys are both enjoying diagramming!) I like the idea of digging in and focusing on writing. If we were to do it, we would probably find topics that they love (for older it would be sharks, for younger, it might be favorite books) and do a real research report, just for kicks. I think they would love it.

I know it was in the old Image Grammar. I will have to look now in the new one to see. I haven't dug in enough to look at the rubrics though.. good idea. This is what I am saying.. we are so busy with CC and WWS that I feel like I am missing the few key things that I wanted to concentrate on with their sentences. I am hoping by stopping for a bit and focusing in more closely on it that when we pick back up with our normal curriculums we will have a few more creative tools in our tool boxes.

"Intensives" are not my style, so I can't help you there. But if you want to work on writing better sentences, why not pull some beautifully written sentences out of lit and work together on just how many different ways the sentence could have been constructed? Then pull out a paragraph with a nice variety of sentence structures and together re-write the paragraph altering the sentences? (for example, turn complex sentences into simple sentences and simple sentences into complex.)

I would do a combo and mix it up a lot.

Copywork each day, at each child's level.

Reading aloud of an excellent book with intricate sentences.

Freewrites about science or history or literature or current events.

Diagramming sentences on the white board, a few each day.

Digging up tricky words to learn to spell, again at each level.

Reading the same passage in KJV, NIV, and maybe even NASB. Then rewriting it as a summary 'in your own words'.

Reading aloud some poetry.

Reading a good book of poetic forms, and assigning one each day to try.

Reading some gorgeous picture books that the kids already love, and discussing the intricacies of the interactions between the pictures and the stories.

Doing the Bravewriter exercise about thorough description.

Doing another freewrite, this one on an assigned topic. Setting criteria for sentence length. Taking longest sentences, writing the words on index cards, and moving them around into as many different reasonable orders as possible. Discussing the implications of these changes.

Having each child read aloud at his own level, twice.

Doing a recipe or craft each day, that involves reading and following directions exactly. Then having each write or dictate instructions to do something he is particularly good at.

Reading some more literature.

Choosing one freewrite from the first two days to polish into an actual paper by the end of the week.

Another thing--I would do progressive stories with the whole group. Everyone says a short paragraph, building on the previous work. That's great for building creativity and complicated plot lines.

And at least one of those I would probably write down for everyone to illustrate, illuminate, caligraph, or something such as that.

SaDonna,

I love this idea, and might try it in January.

For copia, I would add long walks spent playing with words. Add a which clause to every noun you see. Try to start sentences with "although", or "while," or "as." Use your figures of description and describe the tree or the puddle etc. or describe the character traits of a character in a book they are reading (ethnopoeia). Or try to find metaphors for items you see on your walk.

We do this at least once a week and have for years. It is fun, and accomplishes what book work does without it taking up valuable "school" time. (plus, they don't notice how hard it is ;)).

Ruth

Do you know that this time of year we are only 3 hours off from Pacific time? I am 21 hours ahead because we do day light savings opposite to the Northern Hemisphere. Nice to know someone reads my posts when I write them, rather than the next day.

Edited by lewelma

When you receive your CW Homer (I hope that is not a secret or I've let it out of the bag :D ) in addition to the six-sentence shuffle, you will find an exercise for older students where they give you a model sentence, you have to focus on one word in the sentence and then rewrite the sentence using that word in the nominative (subject), genitive (possessive), dative (indirect object), accusative (direct object) and ablative (preposition). I'm not sure if you're there yet as far as grammar goes ---- your dc are still fairly young ---- but it is a great exercise for developing fluidity when constructing sentences.

(Sorry, I forgot to tell you about this during out great "CC/CW" conversation :tongue_smilie: )

Thowell, Those are workbooks someone created, but if I remember right they are quite expensive. This is the edition I am talking about.

http://www.amazon.com/Image-Grammar-Second-Teaching-Writing/dp/0325041741/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1323271621&sr=8-2

You can search inside the original edition on Amazon as well.

Thanks Cleopatra, I just received it and am going to dive in and start reading. I think it may be exactly what I am looking for. I thought if I combined it with some of the Image Grammar lessons and other suggestions here that I could create a week that was quite fun and didn't wear their fingers out. ;-)

Lewelma ... I have wondered what time it was for you before ... ha. I figured it was 'close' to Hawaii time as I will see you live on here during my afternoons. ;-)

Can I please get a link to Image Grammar? If it is this one http://www.perfectionlearning.com/image-grammar-program I have a few questions to anyone who uses it.

Thowell, Those are workbooks someone created, but if I remember right they are quite expensive. This is the edition I am talking about.

http://www.amazon.com/Image-Grammar-Second-Teaching-Writing/dp/0325041741/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1323271621&sr=8-2

You can search inside the original edition on Amazon as well.

Thanks Cleopatra, I just received it and am going to dive in and start reading. I think it may be exactly what I am looking for. I thought if I combined it with some of the Image Grammar lessons and other suggestions here that I could create a week that was quite fun and didn't wear their fingers out. ;-)

Lewelma ... I have wondered what time it was for you before ... ha. I figured it was 'close' to Hawaii time as I will see you live on here during my afternoons. ;-)

Of course I have the original version and not the second edition. :rolleyes:

Anybody know what sort of changes were made? Do I need ;) the second edition? :001_unsure: :tongue_smilie:

I bought both and ended up reselling the original edition. I think the layout is much better in the 2nd and there are new things introduced as well. Capt should be able to tell you more.

2nd edition of Image Grammar was definitely worth it for me. The sections I was most interested in (absolutes, particples, etc) were greatly expanded.

Thank you.