Menu

If you do holiday cookie exchange, what are you taking?

Our church has an annual cookie exchange and I'm always looking for something just a bit exotic to take. I came across this recipe in our local newspaper and I think it will be the one - unless one of you has a more intriguing one :D

TIRAMISU DROPS

Makes about 40 cookies

1 cup slivered blanched almonds, lightly toasted

1/2 cup granulated sugar

3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 teaspoons instant espresso or coffee powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour

8-ounce tub mascarpone cheese

3 tablespoons powdered sugar, divided

1 tablespoon cocoa powder

Shaved chocolate, to decorate, if desired

1. Heat the oven to 350 F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

2. In a food processor, pulse together the almonds and granulated sugar until finely ground but not reduced to a paste. Add the butter and vanilla, then pulse to incorporate. Add the espresso or coffee powder, salt and flour and pulse until a crumbly dough comes together.

3. Shape the dough into 1-inch balls and place on the prepared baking sheets. Using your finger, or the handle of a wooden spoon, press an indent into the top of each cookie. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden and firm. Allow to cool on the baking sheet.

4. When the cookies are cool, in a medium bowl stir together the mascarpone and 2 tablespoons of the powdered sugar. Transfer the mixture to a pastry bag or a zip-close plastic bag with the corner snipped off. Pipe a dollop of the filling into the indent of each cookie.

5. Sift the remaining tablespoon of powdered sugar with the cocoa powder. Sift over the tops of the cookies. Decorate with shaved chocolate, if desired.

Nutrition information per cookie (values are rounded to the nearest whole number): 100 calories; 70 calories from fat (66 percent of total calories); 7 g fat (4 g saturated; 0 g trans fats); 15 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrate; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 15 mg sodium.

I'm making Triple Lime Sugar cookies for our cookie exchange tomorrow.... they turned out pretty well :drool: A basic lime sugar cookie that I 'revved' up w/ extra glaze & lime zest. Mouth puckering, but sooo good with coffee or tea and a nice fresh but delicate change from the heavier flavors of the holiday.

Triple Lime Sugar Cookies

Ingredients

¾ cup butter softened

2 cups sugar, divided

Zest of 4-5 limes (about 5 Tablespoons) , divided

½ cup sour cream

2 large egg yolks, at room temperature

5 Tablespoon fresh lime juice, divided

½ teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons baking powder

2 ½ cups flour

Glaze:

2/3 cup confectioners sugar & remainder of lime juice (about 4 Tablespoons); remaining lime zest

Preparation

1. Beat butter, 1 1/2 cups sugar, and 2 Tablespoons lime zest until lightly creamed. Add sour cream, and beat just until blended. Stir in egg yolks and 1 Tablespoon lime juice, scraping down sides of bowl. Add salt, baking powder, and flour, and beat until blended. Chill dough 1 hour.

2. Preheat oven to 350°. Place remaining 1/2 cup sugar in a small bowl. Shape dough into 1-inch balls, roll in sugar, and place on baking sheets.

3. Bake at 350° for 15 to 20 minutes or until edges begin to brown; bottoms will look light golden. Remove to wire racks to cool.

4. Mix 4 tablespoons lime juice and confectioners sugar- brush onto tops of cookies and sprinkle remaining lime zest on top

I posted about these on another thread. I made them for a cookie exchange on Thursday. I'd never made them before, but really like them. I hope everyone else does, too. I don't know why they're called "gingerbread" as they are more "ginger cookie":

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chewy Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies

Recipe By :

Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories : Cookies Holidays

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour

1 1/4 tsp. ground ginger

1 tsp. ground cinnamon

1/4 tsp. ground cloves

1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg

1 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder

1/2 c. butter -- softened

1 Tbsp. freshly grated ginger

1/2 c. lightly packed light brown sugar

1/2 c. molasses

1 tsp. baking soda

1 1/2 tsp. hot water

1 pkg. semisweet chocolate chips -- (12 oz.)

Sugar for rolling

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray cookie sheets with nonstick cooking spray.

Cream butter and freshly grated ginger together with an electric mixer till light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add brown sugar; mix well. Add molasses; beat until combined.

In a separate bowl, sift together flour, ground ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and cocoa powder. In a small bowl, dissolve baking soda in the hot water. Add half of the flour mixture to the creamed mixture; beat. Add the baking soda mixture and mix, followed by the remaining flour mixture. Add chocolate chips; mix well.

Using a small cookie scoop (a melon baller will also work), scoop out dough and roll into 1 1/2" balls. Roll the balls in sugar to coat; place on prepared cookie sheets.

Bake @ 325 degrees for 10-12 minutes until the cookie surfaces begin to crack. Cool on pans for 2-3 minutes; remove from pan to wire racks and cool completely. Makes about 3 dozen.

Source:

"TOHBB"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I took snowman sugar cookies. http://www.tablespoon.com/recipes/jolly-snowman-faces-recipe/1/ Mine looked similar, I used mini chocolate chips for the mouth and sour lifesaver gummies for the earmuffs.

We make snowmen kind of like these every year. But, we use white chocolate covered Oreos as the base. I used to have to dip regular Oreos, but now I can just buy them predone.

We use either chocolate icing for the eyes and mouth or chocolate chips. This year we used regular sized chocolate chips for the eyes and mini chocolate chips for the mouth. We use M&Ms for the ear muffs. We use orange frosting for the nose. But, next year I'm going to look for the little carrot candies and use them.

Just another possibility

White chocolate & cranberry cookies, or maple white chocolate cookies.

Let me know if you want me to whip up a coupla test batches to taste them again for you to let you know if they're still good recipes.

Would you be willing to share the maple white chocolate cookie recipe.

TIA

Would you be willing to share the maple white chocolate cookie recipe.

TIA

Happily! :D This is my recipe, modified from maybe a Nestle or something recipe. The attached pic is one I took of this ridiculously good cookie. :tongue_smilie: <--- that's me, licking my lips to get more of the maple frosting.

Cookie:

3 c flour

2 t baking soda

2 c packed dark brown sugar

1 c shortening

1/2 c butter, softened

2 eggs

1 t maple extract/flavoring

1 t vanilla extract

2 c white chocolate chips

3/4 c chopped walnuts, divided

Maple Frosting (recipe follows)

Preheat oven to 350. Combine dry ingreds in a medium bowl. In a larger bowl, beat brown sugar, shortening, butter, eggs, and flavorings until light/frothy/creamy. Carefully beat dry ingreds in by thirds. Stir in white chips and 1/2 cup walnuts. Drop by rounded tsp onto ungreased baking sheets (I'm partial to my Pampered Chef bar pan).

Bake 9-12 min or until light golden brown. Let stand for 2 min before removing to cooling racks. Spread w/ maple frosting and sprinkle w/ remaining walnuts. Makes about 4 doz.

Frosting:

Combine 4c powdered sugar, 4-6 T milk, 1/4c softened butter, and 1t maple extract/flavoring in med bowl. Beat at high speed until light and fluffy.

post-9866-13535085853811_thumb.jpg