Menu

Popular Science or Popular Mechanics?

Which one do you prefer? I know DH would like them both and wonder if they would also be OK for older kids who like MythBusters, How It's Made, etc. Amazon has one-year subscriptions to both on sale right now for $5. Also, since I've never ordered a magazine from Amazon, I would be interested in hearing if anyone has had any problems with the subscription service they use.

I had to ask the resident experts at my house (one daughter, one husband). Both voted for Popular Science as the best choice for a MythBuster fan.

I'm with Dad4 here. Wow! Only $5? I just finished placing an Amazon order but I'm heading back there to see about ordering both!

And to answer your other question, no, no experience with the magazines through Amazon.

I will ask ds13--he gets them both and reads them cover to cover.

PM--"It's about cars, science, cars, home improvement." He's always telling me what tool I should buy for the house and he now recognizes every auto on the road and can tell me the engine size and mgp.......

PS--"Science." Sorry, he's 13 and gives one word answers. :001_smile: Now he's standing here laughing at me. :001_smile: He does have to rip the nasty ads out of Popular Science but doesn't usually have to deal with that in the Popular Mechanics magazine.

We had a subscription to both magazines for a little while (a year or 2). My older boys (14 and 12) much prefered Popular Mechanics. Popular Science had more what they termed "weird" articles--about finding aliens, the end of civilization, etc. Popular Mechanics articles seemed a little more practical and real-world. I don't recall any ads that would have been offensive, and my boys didn't either when I asked them, but I can't verify that right now by looking at a magazine.

My 12yo ds has subscribed to PS for two years. When it comes in the mail, he knows I need to look through it for the ads - they are all grouped together in the back. One quick tear, and the magazine is good to go! He loves reading it, and while I don't like the ad situation, it is easily remedied. Also, we subscribed to this and other magazines through Amazon and have never had a problem. They even send a reminder when the mag is up for renewal.