Menu

Crockpot Meals for a Gathering

I need some ideas!

We are having a gathering with 8 adults and 20! children.

I need food help.

We cannot have any cheese/dairy.

I would like crockpot ideas.

Chili is one... but we just had that at another gathering and I would like to do something different.

I prefer not to have sandwhiches because we would have to make all the rolls ourselves. Too time consuming right now...

:bigear:

Rebecca

For our last party I did two chuck roasts in a Dutch oven, shredded them and offered rolls for sandwiches. You could do the same thing in a crockpot. You could skip the rolls for those who can't have dairy.

Doing food for another party I did beef with taco seasoning and shredded boneless chicken thighs with verde sauce in another and did a taco bar. That worked well too.

The other day I got a leg of lamb from Costco. I trimmed the thick fat layer and rubbed it with salt, pepper, a little garlic powder, and a small tsp of allspice. I seared in a big pot with a bit of oil till kinda browned, then into the crock pot with about a cup or two of water for 7 hours on low. It was heavenly. I roasted fingerling potatoes and Brussels sprouts in the oven on 450 for a side. Green salad and rice go nicely too.

I did chicken and peaches picante for a potluck last summer, and it would work well in a crockpot (with rice in a separate dish).

Cut chicken breast and red bell peppers into chunks, and saute until mostly cooked. Add salsa (whatever kind you like), peach juice (if using canned sliced peaches, and orange juice (enough to make a good sauce -- more if you use frozen peaches); bring to a boil, and then simmer until chicken is cooked through. Add sliced peaches and a sprinkling of cilantro; heat through, and serve over rice. My friend said she thought pineapple would also go well with it.

Here's one that ALL my kids AND my inlaws beg for.

If you had any idea just how picky they are-- they truly hate everything. except this.

Easy, cheap. Delicious.

For that size a group, buy 3-4 packages of SWEET italian sausage links. (regular if you cant find sweet will work, but the sweet is good in this)

2-3 cans/jars of your favorite spaghetti sauce

2-3 onions, sliced or chopped (your preference)

2-3 bell peppers (this really makes the sauce!!!) cut or chopped, your preference.

Italian buns **or pasta

Now, what I do is slice the sausages lenghtwise, put them in the crockpot with the sauce, peppers and onions. Heat on high for 4 hours, OR low for 6-8+ hours...

Serve on toasted italian buns with some yummy white cheese. DELICIOUS.

The leftovers, I hop up the sausage and serve over pasta. DELICIOUS.

(sometimes I give people the option-- on a bun, or with pasta...)

Now, IF I'm serving a huge crowd, I do the buns and let everyone serve themselves. It's alot easier for me to do it that way. If I'm serving on buns, I just do some fresh veggies on the side, fruit salad, chips and call it done!

If I serve as a pasta, then I have this obsessive need to figure out sides, and that's too much for a large crowd. hahaha

Another quick KID PLEASER, that even my casserole-hating hubby and inlaws LOVE is

Cheeseburger macaroni casserole.

I've had MEN call me for this recipe, saying they wanted to make it!

Never tried it in the crockpot, but it's easy enough to pop in the oven, serve with a salad and you're done.

Quite regularly, I have 9 teenage boys over (long story) and this is the most often requested menu item.

Cheeseburger macaroni casserole

(fits in large casserole dish)

CHEESEBURGER MACARONI CASSEROLE

1 lb ground beef

½ onion chopped

2 cloves of chopped garlic

1 can cheddar cheese soup

1 can cream of mushroom OR cream of celery soup

2/3 cup milk

¼ tsp of salt and pepper

1 regular size (12oz?) bag elbow noodles (we use the big noodles)

1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I use a little bit more—eyeball it)

Breadcrumbs optional (we used panko because it’s all I had, LOL)

Boil noodles

In skillet, brown burger with onions and garlic.

In mixing bowl, combine soups, milk, seasoning and HALF the cheese.

Add in cooked noodles and burger

Mix well

Place in greased 9 x13 casserole dish.

Sprinkle remaining cheese. Add breadcrumbs.

Bake in 350 oven for 45 minutes till cheese is nice and melty. Yes, melty. It’s a word! LOL

I have cooked this, then taken portion sizes and frozen it for quick meals. Freezes and reheats great.

The other day I got a leg of lamb from Costco. I trimmed the thick fat layer and rubbed it with salt, pepper, a little garlic powder, and a small tsp of allspice. I seared in a big pot with a bit of oil till kinda browned, then into the crock pot with about a cup or two of water for 7 hours on low. It was heavenly. I roasted fingerling potatoes and Brussels sprouts in the oven on 450 for a side. Green salad and rice go nicely too.

This sounds so delicious. I wanted to mark my place so I could find it again. :D

Wow!!!!

I would love the recipe... I think for white chili?

Thx so much,

Rebecca

White Chili

1 large jar Randall Northern Beans - drained

1 quart chicken stock

1/1/2 cups cooked, diced chicken ( add at least double this amount)

1 cup diced onions

1 1/4 cup diced celery

1 - 4 oz jar/can green chilies

1 1/3 tbls minced garlic

1 1/3 tbls cumin

1/2 - 1 tsp cayenne pepper ( original recipe was more heat, but this amount works for us.)

salt & pepper ( I rarely add S & P)

1 qt cream

Saute onion, celery & garlic in 2 tbls oil. Add beans, stock & spices.

Simmer 1/2 - 1 hour. (I add the chicken towards the end of the cooking time so it holds together and doens't cook to mush).

Add cream and heat thru just before serving.

Serve with shredded cheese on top.

Note: I have been making this for years and I always get asked for the recipe. Like any chili it always tastes better the next day. Yes, you can leave out the cream, you might want to add more chicken broth. If I have time to leave it simmer longer than one hour, I don't drain the beans.