Menu

Is soy bad for you?

I just read this article someone sent me...... I found it interesting.

http://www.foodrenegade.com/dangers-of-soy/

Here's another article from that same site:

http://www.foodrenegade.com/fried-chicken-skins/

Apparently this site considers fried chicken skins and pork rinds to be good for you. :glare: Would be curious who funds this site ... the meat industry???

IMO soy in the form of tofu and others is just fine - it's the highly processed and genetically modified soy that's a problem. We still enjoy our veggie burgers and other meat substitutes.

ETA: I forgot to mention that those chicken skins are fried in tallow or lard. lol

Edited by Teachin'Mine

soy is one of those things implicated in the diet side for kids with ASD/SPD challenges. going soy free can help them.

I still use it. But I do it sparingly. I am switching to rice or almond milk.

if you have gluten intolerance, be sure and check the label. One mom found her rice milk had gluten in it. she was not happy.

Thank you.

Actually, I have found (I THINK!) that I am wheat intolerant but not gluten intolerant.

Dawn

soy is one of those things implicated in the diet side for kids with ASD/SPD challenges. going soy free can help them.

if you have gluten intolerance, be sure and check the label. One mom found her rice milk had gluten in it. she was not happy.

I think I agree with this.

Dawn

Apparently this site considers fried chicken skins and pork rinds to be good for you. :glare: Would be curious who funds this site ... the meat industry???

IMO soy in the form of tofu and others is just fine - it's the highly processed and genetically modified soy that's a problem. We still enjoy our veggie burgers and other meat substitutes.

ETA: I forgot to mention that those chicken skins are fried in tallow or lard. lol

There is so much conflicting info about soy! I researched this several years back and discovered that unfermented soy (soy milk, tofu, etc.) and fermented soy (miso, tempeh) have very different effects on the body. It's been so long that I don't have the info any more, but a quick Google search brought this up:

Fermented Soy is the Only Soy Fit for Human Consumption

Unfermented Soy and Its Harmful Effects

Non-fermented Vs. Fermented Soy

Soy and Estrogen Dominance

I haven't read these articles in their entirety, but it looks like they may contain some of the info that I found in my research on fermented vs unfermented soy. Another issue that comes up with soy is that it's often genetically modified--just FYI if you try to avoid GMO. HTH!

Mary,

As it turns out, soy is actually not that great for people to consume. I never ate alot of soy, but I did eat it as an animal meat substitute. However, once I heard soy is not that healthy for people, I stopped eating it immediately.

Another reason I stopped was learning of the "estrogen-like" properties. Not good. When I stopped I believe I noticed my hot flashes were more manageable.

Anything deep fried isn't great, but I see no issue with eating skins of baked chicken.

This website is new to me and I am generally not picky about food, but I have a newfound interest in eating healthier. Problem is there are so many opinions, conflicting info and politics involved with food that it is hard to tell what's right.

Anything deep fried isn't great, but I see no issue with eating skins of baked chicken.

This website is new to me and I am generally not picky about food, but I have a newfound interest in eating healthier. Problem is there are so many opinions, conflicting info and politics involved with food that it is hard to tell what's right.

I definitely agree with the bolded! How many years were we told to avoid butter and eat margarine instead? Some listened and some were smart enough to not listen. It is very hard to know the truth. :tongue_smilie:

I definitely agree with the bolded! How many years were we told to avoid butter and eat margarine instead? Some listened and some were smart enough to not listen. It is very hard to know the truth. :tongue_smilie:

Yes, and your example is a good one. Why anyone uses margarine anymore perplexes me - especially since it is pretty common knowledge at this point that it is thisclose to being plastic. Yuck.

Our 4-year-old son has a dairy allergy. I'm very thankful margarine is available.

I agree. We are dairy free for allergy reasons and use coconut oil and Earth Balance. I do think that regular "margarine" is gross, though. Like the I Can't Believe It's Not Butter. Full of trans fats and artificial ingredients.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't think soy is bad for you unless you're eating GMO soy or you're living off of veggie burgers, tofu dogs, etc. Fermented soy is better than regular soy.

I basically follow this. I found "Better Than Milk" to use since I have dairy allergy; it is tofu milk as opposed to soy milk. I rarely buy tofu but I think the traditional ways of eating soy that are mostly fermented have the good track record. Miso is yummmmmmy.