Menu

There was bad news here in Switzerland the other day...

http://www.tdg.ch/actu/suisse/ecole-obligatoire-enseigner-webcam-courriel-illegal-2011-11-21

In the Swiss supreme court, they decided that homeschooling using internet courses during the obligatory schooling years is illegal according to the constitution....presuming here that they mean "full-time"...it was for a case in Zurich but could have larger implications since it is based on the federal constitution..

Before I had wanted to base an umbrella school in the US....Now I'm thinking that Europeans need something here...probably by country...that would be a resource for home ed in a classical way...

Just planting seeds here as this would take a lot of organization....and I don't see that many classical ed'ers here in CH or other parts...but maybe they'll are more than I realize and maybe there will be more in the future...

Then there could be the two ways of getting into a European university (provided they allowed entry with US credentials)...the US way and the country specific way...

So even just to begin to get an idea of how this could work...if we could post here the country guidelines (don't know if they have this type of things in other countries here, but just in case)...to start to get a feel for how realistic this is...

Put the country in the title of the post...

Joan

European Classical Umbrella school.

Interesting idea! I like it.

And thanks for the info from the Netherlands and Belgium...:001_smile:

If home education does not get completely squelched (ie outlawed) on the European continent and the world economy doesn't completely die and the end of the world come in one way or another, I'm committing my future to helping home ed here in some way.

Joan

I think a classical education is in essential the same in many countries.

But I wonder if the level of the subjects is the same everywhere.

Foreign Languages, Sciences, Classical Languages, Math you can do those subject at such different levels. In my search for curriculae it is the most difficult part to me: give a certain curriculum the level I need in my country.

I'm curious to other countries :)

One of the ways of comparing in a very simplified way, is to compare one of the AP study guide books with a study guide book for the same topic for end of high school exams in your country...

I had my ds2's math professor (he was in a Swiss private school preparing for the Swiss Matu) go through the AP Calculus AB/BC Princeton study guide...he pointed out things that they did do and things that they didn't do, or did not do in depth... I didn't get a list of things that they do do but weren't covered, though it would be useful....

You need someone who has a good grasp of what is being prepared for in the home country to go through it...

From our ds3's experience (completely homeschooled) who did AP Calculus AB and is now doing simultaneously what they call Calculus I and II (in French - Analyse I et II) at the level of a first year uni but in the program they have for people coming with outside credentials (although they don't say it is that same level, my ds2, who attended the same school and knew people who had done this intro year and done then the regular first year, says basically you redo every thing in the regular first year with a different exam schedule)...so where was I...ok, ds3 is continuing with Calculus and he says it is much more rigorous than what he has done, whereas the physics and biology that he is doing are about the same as what he did last year (AP Physics B - and Biology using Campbell Connections)...(He just had midterms and so far did quite well overall).

So there might have been a bit more Calculus in the Swiss matu, but the bio and physics were about the same or lower...

It is probably harder to compare the humanities...but I know for example that the geography done in France is completely different than the geography done for end of high school exams in Switzerland...France does more of what I would call "human" geography...

Even within Switzerland, I believe that there is/( or was when ds2 was in school) a difference between the French and German end of high school exams, at least in the way the humanities were approached....though this might have already changed - I have to find out..

But you might find something similar in Belgium....since you have Wallonie and Flandres.....

For languages, it is probably easier to compare since you can use the European system...A1, 2, etc....here they require a B2 level to get into university (if you are coming with credentials from a nonfrancophone country)

Here in Switzerland the emphasis is on literary analysis and persuasive writing...But even the way that they do literary analysis can differ from country to country....

What is finally important is how they will succeed in university....I have realized that "getting into" university here is just the first step...then you have to be able to "stay" there....

So for me it is a bit easier with a math/science focus as there are probably fewer differences in approaches...in the humanities where you would have to do a lot of writing, I think you'd have to have more "country-oriented" training in terms of how to write essays (partly language dependent as in style of the essay). BUT, LOTS of the students who graduated from the same private school as ds2 did not go right into university and pass the first year with flying colors. In fact, I think the number was 3/60! But a percent of those who didn't took a gap year....Still...The school has done better in more recent years but not nearly 100%. Getting through the first and second years of university here are not a "given".....and even kids coming from the public school, who have already been streamed towards "university studies" don't have great passing rates...

Don't know how helpful that all is...but maybe it can give you a few ideas...

Joan

Edited by Joan in Geneva

The Netherlands ask B2/C1 level for English and German, and B1/B2 for French. The lower level is for active knowledge (speaking and writing) the higher level is for passive knowledge (reading and listening).

So the emphasis really is on spoken languages - that is a pretty high level for so many languages...

Here in Switzerland, when ds2 did the Swiss matu, he did it as a francophone...then German was the second language, and they said it was B2 level...then English was his third language...judging from the books they read I'd say B1 level...(he did it at the highest level possible for the exam - though it is his real maternal tongue)...so they are not as "exigents" here...

For now it seems dd will take the Latin-Greek profile so a lot of languages and History-Geography :-) The American Geography programs I've seen so far, I can't use as prepare for exams. We learn totally different things.

Have you looked at the geography books from the UK? I find them much more interesting than ones in the US (below AP level - AP Human Geography is quite interesting)

geography 360 - Core 3

New Wider World - by David Waugh (GCSE level)

For (modern) foreign languages it is common to read a booklist (of course everything in a unabridged untranslated edition ;)) and you will be interviewed about this books in that language. So German books will be discussed in German, French books discussed in French etc. For classical languages the focus is on reading and translation. There will be an interview but not in Latin or (ancient) greek ;).

That's the same here...

Writing and Composition are neglected topics in secondary education.

So most Colleges and universities start with a course: how to write an essay...

This is a huge surprise - but I guess you can only do so much...if you have 3 foreign languages at a high level...

So interesting to compare...and I can see that it is worse than different state requirements in the US...

Joan

Not sure I'm qualified to talk on this thread. But, here goes...

Just had lunch with DD's tutor. I was talking with her about how in the classical method we start with copy work, then dictation, narration, outlining and essays.

She has been working with DD with the CNED for the last six years - save one. She says that they do this in France too. They also study the history in cycles like we do with classical.

So, I think French schools follow what you would want for your European Classical Umbrella school.

Lesley

PS I haven't been around in the last 18 months. We tried dropping the tutor and having dd work alone. That failed miserably! And, French didn't get done like I wanted. So, we are back with the tutor again using a variety of materials, including the CNED. DD needs the structure the CNED provides.

Not sure I'm qualified to talk on this thread.

People who have knowledge of a system or some part of a system are welcome to participate even if they are not physically on the continent...So it is fine for you to share. :001_smile:

And UK people are welcome too,:001_smile: I just didn't think they would be so interested as they have probably the most freedom around (here) since they can do "education otherwise"....

Joan

I'm just starting to wonder if maybe the other way to have university access for English speakers esp would be to use the UK criteria...

In Switzerland they are:

http://www.crus.ch/information-programmes/reconnaissance-swiss-enic/admission/admission-en-suisse/pays/grande-bretagne-l.html?L=1

If anyone from the UK could tell us what this is:

AIECE: Advanced International Certificate of Education (gilt nicht für Basel)

And if it is something that homeschoolers could get?

Generally it looks like one would need 3 A-levels and 4 GCSE's. At least here, and probably every major urban area where there are a lot of people from the UK, there is usually a way of taking these exams...

And since it seems like the UK is similar to the US with all the prep books for those exams, they are more transparent than the Swiss exams for example....

Joan

I'm just starting to wonder if maybe the other way to have university access for English speakers esp would be to use the UK criteria...

In Switzerland they are:

http://www.crus.ch/information-programmes/reconnaissance-swiss-enic/admission/admission-en-suisse/pays/grande-bretagne-l.html?L=1

If anyone from the UK could tell us what this is:

AIECE: Advanced International Certificate of Education (gilt nicht für Basel)

And if it is something that homeschoolers could get?

Generally it looks like one would need 3 A-levels and 4 GCSE's. At least here, and probably every major urban area where there are a lot of people from the UK, there is usually a way of taking these exams...

And since it seems like the UK is similar to the US with all the prep books for those exams, they are more transparent than the Swiss exams for example....

Joan

It looks like it may be a way of repackaging individual exams as a diploma, similar to the IB.

In many countries, you can take exams at the British Council, attached to the British Embassy. This varies based on the country's interest in strictly controlling educational options. GCSEs are hard to achieve as a home educator - almost all of them require in-class assessment. There are IGCSEs, however, which are the international versions - they can be taken by using exams only, which is simpler. There are text books which address the specific syllabus of each exam. (I)GCSEs (taken at 16) fulfil general education requirements for British students, so pupils tend to do quite a few. Five is the minimum for future study - more common is eight or so for people planning on university entrance. For comparison, a standard set at Calvin's (private) school is English Language, English Literature, maths, biology, physics, chemistry, French, history, geography and Latin.

A levels can mostly be achieved by exam only, but things get sticky with science A levels, which require practical lab assessments. A British Council would not provide facilities for that. I believe there might be international A levels which don't require this, but I don't know the details. The norm would be 5 AS levels (first year, taken at 17) and 3 A2 levels (second year, taken at 18). The A2 levels are taken in three of the AS subjects, so you might do English, French, History, Geography and biology for AS level, then choose English, French and Biology to continue for A2.

Laura

Edited by Laura Corin

Thank you Laura!

About Clonlara, yes it is a place to get a transcript. We felt it is pricey for what you get. We did seriously consider them, but looked at the documentation and the price and felt it was me doing all the work and them getting the money...

Joan

For example, US high school transcripts are largely disregarded if presented for university entrance in the UK. Instead, if coming from the US, you need exams, usually APs.

Laura

Here they won't look at your AP's if you don't have a "diploma", but then your diploma and transcript aren't worth anything if you don't have the AP's...

Joan

Here they won't look at your AP's if you don't have a "diploma", but then your diploma and transcript aren't worth anything if you don't have the AP's...

Joan

Britain doesn't have diplomas. We don't exactly graduate from high school - we just leave, with or without passing exam results, although you can retake exams if you want. So we don't tend to rate diplomas from other countries unless they result from externally-assessed exams.

Laura

I don't know how relevant it is, but we are doing a sort-of European umbrella school now. We are using the Wereldschool, which is an internet-only school provided and subsidized by the Dutch government, for Dutch children living abroad. Some Dutch children in NL are starting to use it too, but only in very unusual circumstances. They offer a full Dutch curriculum from K up through the last year of secondary, although the choice of language is limited (language offerings are sufficient to meet the high school requirements though) and there is no Latin/Greek to fulfill gymnasium requirements.

The school doesn't do a high school diploma so we have to take the alternative route to school diplomas. Usually you'd do your schoolexams and then central exams (written and also usually oral). My dds will do stateexams only, written and oral. It's basically the same exam, the same level, but administered by a different group. After the exam you can "trade in" your certificates for a diploma, assuming you've acquired enough certificates in the right areas of study to complete the necessary profile.

I'm finding that this school is far more flexible than the b&m school we were used to. They have no problem with the girls taking courses out of sequence or not taking certain courses (no English for example). The teachers are generally quite good. It's not that cheap, but it's a lot cheaper than private school, and the diploma is just as "good" as one you'd get from school. Anyway, thought I'd add our experience.

I did hear once that enrollment in Clonlara was deemed sufficient by a Dutch judge in terms of the requirement to be enrolled in school, but I'm not sure if that case was appealed or not or what finally happened. We did use Clonlara in NL for a while when my girls were given permission to be excused from school for an afternoon a week to do afterschooling.

I don't know how relevant it is, but we are doing a sort-of European umbrella school now. We are using the Wereldschool, which is an internet-only school provided and subsidized by the Dutch government, for Dutch children living abroad. Some Dutch children in NL are starting to use it too, but only in very unusual circumstances. They offer a full Dutch curriculum from K up through the last year of secondary, although the choice of language is limited (language offerings are sufficient to meet the high school requirements though) and there is no Latin/Greek to fulfill gymnasium requirements.

The school doesn't do a high school diploma so we have to take the alternative route to school diplomas. Usually you'd do your schoolexams and then central exams (written and also usually oral). My dds will do stateexams only, written and oral. It's basically the same exam, the same level, but administered by a different group. After the exam you can "trade in" your certificates for a diploma, assuming you've acquired enough certificates in the right areas of study to complete the necessary profile.

I'm finding that this school is far more flexible than the b&m school we were used to. They have no problem with the girls taking courses out of sequence or not taking certain courses (no English for example). The teachers are generally quite good. It's not that cheap, but it's a lot cheaper than private school, and the diploma is just as "good" as one you'd get from school. Anyway, thought I'd add our experience.

I did hear once that enrollment in Clonlara was deemed sufficient by a Dutch judge in terms of the requirement to be enrolled in school, but I'm not sure if that case was appealed or not or what finally happened. We did use Clonlara in NL for a while when my girls were given permission to be excused from school for an afternoon a week to do afterschooling.

That is very important to know! I'm glad you posted.

Do you have any links for the school?

And is it possible to just do some of the courses? Eg. if someone liked the way that history and math was studied, they could just use those subjects?

I certainly don't want to reinvent the wheel or get other people to...

It's important to know every possibility out there for home educators in Europe to get into universities here...

So this diploma you get at the end is sufficient to get into a Dutch university?

Probably Clonlara would be sufficient in primary school (guessing there) but not for getting into university.

The Wereldschool is at http://www.wereldschool.nl. It's in Dutch only, though, so that would be helpful to a minority of homeschoolers only. We're picking and choosing which courses we take. The girls do Dutch, biologie, chemistry, physics, geography, history, civics and general science (the last two are required for a diploma and difficult to replicate at home).

They do Latin and Greek with the teacher they had at their school in NL. She's very good and uses regular high school texts with them, which will lead them up to the staatsexamen necessary for the diploma. I do English and maths and help with the internet subjects as required. They did French with a private tutor last year when we were living in France, and we'll pick that up again via Skype in the New Year. It sounds like a lot of classes, and it is, but it's no more than they would have if they were in school.

One thing we're working on that I think is going to be very helpful in terms of getting into university is maintaining the relationship with the girls' former school. We've got the Greek/Latin teacher working with us, and we've approached the bio and English teachers about helping the girls prepare for the staatsexamen, and both have agreed. The Greek/Latin teacher has even suggested that the girls join their former class on next year's class trip to Rome.

Oxbridge have a list of requirements for int'l applicants that may be helpful:

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/international_students/international_qualifications/index.html

Joan, we are still in Europe (well, we're in the UK, so insofar as that's considered Europe ...). We moved from NL to France and then from France to London. My 10 yo ds is at choir school in the UK and, since he's doing well here, will probably remain in the UK at least until university. We moved here to be closer to him and will stay at least until he's well along in senior school. The Wereldschool has been a wonderful way for my girls to maintain both continuity in their education and their connection to the Netherlands.

One thing I was wondering about -- the Wereldschool is intended principally for families who are in countries where international schooling is not a good option, so missionary families or families taking a year out to travel the world (the Dutch girl who is sailing around the world does/did Wereldschool). I'm wondering whether other countries have similar initiatives? I'm sure there must be families in other countries like Spain or Germany where families would find themselves in situations where such a program would be useful. Any ideas?

I'm wondering whether other countries have similar initiatives? I'm sure there must be families in other countries like Spain or Germany where families would find themselves in situations where such a program would be useful. Any ideas?

Here are some links for Germans living abroad...(I can't read them so claim innocence if they say anything bad...they were sent to me by a German speaker though)

http://www.auslandsschulwesen.de/cln_100/nn_389946/Auslandsschulwesen/Auslandsschulverzeichnis/WeltkartederSchulen/FernunterrichtKlasse5-10/fernunterrichtklasse5-10-node.html?__nnn=true

http://www.fernstudium-vergleich.com/listings-schulabschluesse/schulunterricht-fuer-deutsche-schueler-im-ausland.html

http://www.ils.de/kosten-des-fernunterrichts-fuer-deutsche-schueler-im-ausland.php

http://www.verwaltungsvorschriften-im-internet.de/bsvwvbund_16072002_1130113108.htm

I consider the UK part of Europe.....though I am just starting to learn how DIFFERENT the Anglo-Saxon mentality of individualism is compared to German thinking on the subject....

Sounds like you are getting some interesting cross-cultural experiences. :001_smile:

Joan

I don't know of anything official for British children overseas. I think Briteschool is partly designed for expats, but it's a private initiative. I looked into it when we lived in China, however, and the live classes made it unrewarding in our time zone.

Laura

Laura, what do home ed'ers do for high school in the UK? Do they do one of the lab based A-levels in a school? Ages ago I saw some kind of correspondence classes.....

Thanks!

Joan

Laura, what do home ed'ers do for high school in the UK? Do they do one of the lab based A-levels in a school? Ages ago I saw some kind of correspondence classes.....

Thanks!

Joan

A levels only form the last two years of 'high school' (in US terms), so the first two years are fairly easy to cover with IGCSEs. Some people succeeded in doing international science A levels (which don't require lab assessments) last year, but the exam board was apparently very unwilling to let it happen. I don't know why. It's easier if you choose to do arts/maths A levels, as they can be done independently/by distance learning.

That being said, a lot of home ed pupils use 6th form colleges (a little like community college, but only for 16-18 year olds) to get their A levels. They can go to classes but not be more involved than they want to be in 'school-like' atmospheres.

ETA: this big provider offers biology A level, but you would still need to find an exam centre that would be willing to allow the pupil to do the practical assessment. I think many schools would be worried that an outsider might not have the necessary health and safety training, and might refuse... NEC doesn't offer physics and chemistry.

This provider doesn't offer any lab sciences.

Another option that HE people often use is to do Open University courses, which can also be used for university entrance. In Britain they don't allow you to test out of modules in your university degree - instead the OU courses just show that you are capable of university-level study. You can do sciences through the OU.

Laura

Edited by Laura Corin

A levels only form the last two years of 'high school' (in US terms), so the first two years are fairly easy to cover with IGCSEs. Some people succeeded in doing international science A levels (which don't require lab assessments) last year, but the exam board was apparently very unwilling to let it happen. I don't know why. It's easier if you choose to do arts/maths A levels, as they can be done independently/by distance learning.

That being said, a lot of home ed pupils use 6th form colleges (a little like community college, but only for 16-18 year olds) to get their A levels. They can go to classes but not be more involved than they want to be in 'school-like' atmospheres.

ETA: this big provider offers biology A level, but you would still need to find an exam centre that would be willing to allow the pupil to do the practical assessment. I think many schools would be worried that an outsider might not have the necessary health and safety training, and might refuse... NEC doesn't offer physics and chemistry.

This provider doesn't offer any lab sciences.

Another option that HE people often use is to do Open University courses, which can also be used for university entrance. In Britain they don't allow you to test out of modules in your university degree - instead the OU courses just show that you are capable of university-level study. You can do sciences through the OU.

Thank you Laura....I can see that this problem of labs for a science direction student would make it difficult for us, for example, to go the UK route....It would be useful then, for people in places where there is a larger UK expat community to see if any schools would allow a student to just do a science course....

Thanks for the links! Please post any more if you come across them. It is very helpful to know what are better correspondance classes...the market seems somewhat like the US, lots of options, but not necessarily lots of "good" options, where you get your money's worth....(thinking online and AP courses there). Sorting through the offerings is what the WTM is so helpful for...

Joan

Atmosphere varies A LOT between 6th forms/colleges - some are just like school but with bigger people, some are much closer to university feel. Having found what I think is one of the better ones, I'm now reluctant to let DH consider jobs outside our area!

Laura

You can transfer credit from OU courses to other universities (and from other unis to OU) and there is also a formal scheme for studying the first part of some science degrees through the OU before transferring to a bricks & mortar university. OPENPLUS (formerly 2plus2)

(I)GCSEs (taken at 16) fulfil general education requirements for British students, so pupils tend to do quite a few. Five is the minimum for future study - more common is eight or so for people planning on university entrance.

This is only the case for students from school (and even then it varies a lot between colleges, and between courses.) Some colleges are more flexible about their entry requirements for home educated students.

British universities are usually open to a wide variety of ways to satisfy their entry requirements (I)GCSE maths and English is one way of doing this, but there is also the possibility of sitting literacy & numeracy tests. Beyond these 2 subjects the universities I've spoken to don't seem bothered about (I)GCSEs.

Having said all that, with DD1 & 2 we're planning for them to take at least 5 (unless they raise strong objections). Having them will make it easier for applying for part time jobs whilst they're still studying, and give them a safety net if their career plans change. DS found it a pain to have to explain his qualifications & for a while was self conscious of not having them.

The Wereldschool can officially only used for Dutch/Belgian people outside their own country. In the Netherlands children have to go to school.

Thanks for making the distinction...

I'm going to start a separate thread about European home ed with your other info....European problems, solutions, and networking...

Joan

Edited by Joan in Geneva

This is only the case for students from school (and even then it varies a lot between colleges, and between courses.) Some colleges are more flexible about their entry requirements for home educated students.

British universities are usually open to a wide variety of ways to satisfy their entry requirements (I)GCSE maths and English is one way of doing this, but there is also the possibility of sitting literacy & numeracy tests. Beyond these 2 subjects the universities I've spoken to don't seem bothered about (I)GCSEs.

So there seems to be more flexibility in the UK, like in the US, where they do not have the Bacc/Maturite/Arbiter final all encompassing exam...

And then in these countries where they do have those exams, they ask more from Americans and Uk'ers (what do you call yourselves actually that would be for the whole Kingdom, instead of English, eg?)

Like asking for a high school diploma and 5 AP's here - well, that's considered a lot in the US (not talking Ivy League)...

Having said all that, with DD1 & 2 we're planning for them to take at least 5 (unless they raise strong objections). *Having them will make it easier for applying for part time jobs whilst they're still studying, and give them a safety net if their career plans change. *DS found it a pain to have to explain his qualifications & for a while was self conscious of not having them.

Interesting about the part time job - another similarity with Americans - is that common in the UK?

Also, about it being a pain to explain oneself - here it is even worse since there is no one we know or have heard of that did what ds3 did....He's so relieved to be in a regular program where he can just say - I'm doing this and everyone will know what he is talking about - but then he doesn't like to say any more than he has to about anything....

Thanks Free Range!

Joan

Edited by Joan in Geneva

• 4 months later...

For what it's worth, I'm adding the classical school syllabus for the Italian maturita'. It's in Italian, of course, but it's so Latinate that it's fairly comprehensible, and more so if you read French or Spanish.

http://www.edscuola.it/archivio/norme/programmi/classico.html

Italy has several types of licei, the most popular being the liceo classico and the liceo scientifico. And then, below the liceo level, there are istruzione tecnica and istruzione profesionale.

For Americans, the requirements are unclear, and that's one reason I've been posting here lately. I did find this page:

http://www.study-in-italy.it/php5/study-italy.php?lang=EN&idorizz=3&idvert=39

They seem to be in the process of updating it, though, so I'll have to see if I can find the relevant page in Italian and do a rough translation.

(Having followed the links and read the Italian, I don't think anything has changed here. But they do seem to ask not ONLY for a US diploma and 4 APs, but for another year of college as well. Why, I have no idea.)

My daughter is interested in music study, which is different from regular universities and polytechnics. In conservatory, you have a pre-accademico (high school program), a triennio (3 years, like undergrad), and a biennio (2 years, like grad school). You can start the triennio early, but you can't graduate until you get your high school diploma. We're having qualification problems, because we can't figure out what they'll accept. They Italian consulate in NYC told me last week that dd could take the GED, and the schools have discretion as to what else to require (like APs). We'll see.

One reason everything is so unclear right now, all over Europe, is that the Bologna Process, a new EU standardizing reform legislation, has just been implemented. It's changing everything here, and so procedures for my daughter, who is in her first year here, are different from those governing her peers who started their programs a few years ago. No one understands them clearly yet, which is one reason it's hard to get a straight answer.

The problem for any musician, of course, is how to fulfill all these requirements and still practice enough to be any good...

Edited by Laura in Torino
spellcheck "corrected" the Italian, also added info about updated requirements

Thank you Laura!

I've recently been in touch with a home educator from Italy - and she is saying that they all have young children there. Some are thinking ahead about university though.

And I know EM is interested in the subject.

I know the Bologna process is changing things - but I hadn't realized that it is so slow in some ways.

It has caused havoc for the students in the middle here...they started with one set of rules and then the new ones are implemented and some of their credits haven't counted!

Joan